AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   You'll want to see this! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/youll-want-see-2816385/)

HotRodW 11-10-2011 10:09 AM

For those really interested in gasoline . . .

http://www.eoearth.org/article/Gasoline?topic=50361

besyugan 11-10-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 24222507)
I agree, I had carbon build up problem in my last Audi, the dealer told me to try the Audi fuel additive. It didnt do any good as I suspected since the gasoline never gets to the back of the valves. The best preventive we can do is to use the right octane top tier gas. I use Shell V-power on my current Audi.

Perhaps the fuel additive did not help you since you already had excessive build up.

Typically an engine will not accumulate enough carbon build up during 3,000 miles to start causing problems, even with the use of low grade / low octaine fuel. Adding this stuf every 3K makes sence.

I will be using Shell's or Exxon's 93 octaine and will also be using Audi fuel additive every 3K miles. Hopefully this will alleviate any issues with carbon build up.

g8tor20 11-10-2011 11:30 AM

Is anyone doing the BG induction service as a preventative measure?

Costs like $180 buck to do at an Audi shop nearby. Whether it works or not is a debate in and to itself.

And from what I have read, it doesn't matter what fuel you use. The problem is, as mentioned above, there is no fuel reaching the top of the valve to clean it and stop the carbon from caking on top of each other. I remember reading that no type of top tier gas or additives work. I even remember reading an owner doing a meth injection on top and that didn't stop it (of course that was with an S4 and I think they had the worst problem of anyone.

edwyun 11-10-2011 04:36 PM

Design flaw of FSI

4Rook 11-10-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by DrV (Post 24222405)
Total cost was around $2,500. Audi covered $1,500 as a goodwill gesture.

If those channels are part of the EGR system, should they be covered under an emissions warranty?

HaveBullDogWillTravel 11-10-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4Rook (Post 24222686)
If those channels are part of the EGR system, should they be covered under an emissions warranty?

I bet they are not. They are merely what's affected by a flawed vent system inherent with DI engines

mtberman 11-11-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TEN cigarettes (Post 24222441)
For your information Europe has a much better quality fuel: petrol standard is 95, super 98 octane and premium 100

Octane ratings (numeric) are NOT an indicator of fuel quality. 95 RON (the Euro number) is roughly equivalent to fuel with an AKI of 87 in the U.S.

It is true that European gasoline is different, but the numbers you're quoting (the RON or Research Octane Number ratings) have nothing at all to do with that, as cebo said.

European fuel has a much lower sulfur content than NA fuel.

The best way to avoid having these problems in your engine is to stick to top tier fuels. www.toptiergas.com

In Short: If you're driving an Audi, you shouldn't be buying gas at costco or walmart or whatever.

JohnBoyToo 11-12-2011 04:11 AM

Didn't someone post that the carbon buildup is from the fuel not washing down the intake tract ?

If that's the case,
then how does the the quality of fuel have anything to do with the intake tract if no fuel is directed there ?

just curious :)

tosten 11-12-2011 05:33 AM

So, new to this thread, but I was wondering, and this may be my lack of knowledge of the technology, but if the case really was that direct injection prevent fuel from washing the valves, wouldn't most modern diesels have a huge problem? I thought that most of the new diesels have gone to direct injection as well. That creates a pretty large field, I really haven't heard of anything like this before.

DrV 11-12-2011 07:19 AM

The carbon deposits in this case was found in the EXHAUST ports. The intake ports were remarkably clean and the technician was actually surprised by that. Definitely impurities burning and caking in the smaller channels as seen in the pics.
I have to admit, I was not diligent enough about where I was refueling, mainly because of convenience on my longer trips, but now I have vowed to stick to Shell Ultra and nothing else!