Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

18 Q5 1,100 miles, MIL on

Old 09-15-2018, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 18 Q5 1,100 miles, MIL on

Drove the Q5 normally today, I have been avoiding fast starts, and driving pretty easy during warm up, for the first 1,000 mile break in period, pretty much under 4K on the tach. I do vary the driving from local streets to freeway, and interstate where i can open it up but not rev the engine high. This afternoon a friend and I drove it a little harder in sport mode more aggressive acceleration once we were on the freeway for about five miles. When I started it later after our freeway trip the yellow engine symbol stayed constantly lit on the dash. There is no other warning message with this constant engine light on. In looking at the manual it suggests its emissions related. I have been using premium Chevron gas on every fill up (4). I will call the dealer on Monday, any idea what this one could be? Everything has worked perfectly up to now, even with the light on the engine power and transmission seem normal. Thanks in advance for your help, dave
P.S. yes the oil level is full.

Last edited by katzjamr; 09-15-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

was there a gas fill-up in your recent past? you can get a CEL if the fuel cap wasn't completely tightened.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks, no it happened about 40 miles BEFORE I filled up with gas, I did check the fuel cap again and its tight.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Could be anything. Yellow is a warning CEL (typically situations that are causing higher than normal emissions, but not life threatening to the vehicle). Dealer will scan/clear/diagnose.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has the same issue. 1100 miles and the engine light has come on and gone off twice. Took it to the dealer and they said it was an O2 circuit fault. They called Audi who told them to reset the light and continue to drive to see if it come on again. I must admit it doe not instill a great deal of confidence when your approach is "let's just reset it and hope it doesn't come back on". We'll see
Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

All it takes is an odd electrical spike to cause "oddness", or a CAN bus communication fault on other circuits. My Acura had a TPS fault once when it was really cold, dealer reset and said come back if it happens again (and it didn't).

But if it keeps coming back, that indicates a failure.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajluzi1957
I must admit it doe not instill a great deal of confidence when your approach is "let's just reset it and hope it doesn't come back on". We'll see
Why not? Isn't it just technology? Works for every Internet provider out there: "Just unplug and re-connect your router and you'll be good to go." LOL
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajluzi1957
My wife has the same issue. 1100 miles and the engine light has come on and gone off twice. Took it to the dealer and they said it was an O2 circuit fault. They called Audi who told them to reset the light and continue to drive to see if it come on again. I must admit it doe not instill a great deal of confidence when your approach is "let's just reset it and hope it doesn't come back on". We'll see
When it comes on again, and it will, take it back to the dealer and be prepared for a shock. They have a TSB on this issue and the solution is to replace the sensor which is responding too slow and replace the catalytic converter. Guess where these parts come from? If you guessed Germany you are correct. Audi has never heard of fast shipping so I guess they put these things on a boat because it takes 10 days to get to the US. They told me it wouldn't hurt to drive the car in this condition so I took it back and will wait for a third service call on this issue.

My complaint is they know about this issue (TSB2049050/2) and they should get the parts after the first occurrence regardless. Waiting for a second occurrence is ridiculous. What a waste of time.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dgeffs
When it comes on again, and it will, take it back to the dealer and be prepared for a shock. They have a TSB on this issue and the solution is to replace the sensor which is responding too slow and replace the catalytic converter. Guess where these parts come from? If you guessed Germany you are correct. Audi has never heard of fast shipping so I guess they put these things on a boat because it takes 10 days to get to the US. They told me it wouldn't hurt to drive the car in this condition so I took it back and will wait for a third service call on this issue.

My complaint is they know about this issue (TSB2049050/2) and they should get the parts after the first occurrence regardless. Waiting for a second occurrence is ridiculous. What a waste of time.
Is this only for the Q5 or does it include the A4/5s too since the engine is the same?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't ask about any other vehicles and have not actually seen the TSB. They just noted it on my service ticket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 18 Q5 1,100 miles, MIL on