Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018/2019 Q5 Homelink programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018/2019 Q5 Homelink programming

I was trying to program my 2019 Q5 for my Genie garage door opener, but I couldn't get past the 1st step, the Q5 refused to recognize and pair with my transmitter, wasted one hour... until I found this TSB, which tells you to pull the Side Assist fuse and re-try. It worked! So if you are stuck, try this. TSB attached. Apparently the 315 MHz used by the transmitter is also used by the Audi Side Assist, which interferes with the Q5's ability to pair with the transmitter. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi TB Garage Door Opener.pdf (293.4 KB, 1386 views)
The following users liked this post:
brian_tii (08-24-2021)
Old 12-28-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks. I need to reprogram mine, I have to practically run into the garage door before it picks up the signal and sometimes not even then
Old 12-28-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by augerpro
Thanks. I need to reprogram mine, I have to practically run into the garage door before it picks up the signal and sometimes not even then
maybe try a different brand/model garage door opener?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had difficulty... BUT it was easy to just call the Home-Link people and a nice woman walked me through it all while I stayed on the phone.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

What is the geometry of your driveway? I make a 90 degree turn to enter the garage. On my Q5 Homelink and previous VW Homelink the opener worked a fair distance away on the driveway, but just before the turn with the car facing at 90 degrees from the door, it was like a dead spot, the worked well as I completed the turn close to the door.
The following users liked this post:
jebhick (07-08-2022)
Old 12-29-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by patmurphey
What is the geometry of your driveway? I make a 90 degree turn to enter the garage. On my Q5 Homelink and previous VW Homelink the opener worked a fair distance away on the driveway, but just before the turn with the car facing at 90 degrees from the door, it was like a dead spot, the worked well as I completed the turn close to the door.
one thing I don’t like about Q5’s homelink is that you cannot operate the garage door opener unless you turn the ignition on or the engine is running. But I tend to believe that’s a security feature so that if someone breaks in your vehicle parked on driveway, then won’t be able to open the garage door to enter the home. Feeling much better now.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seanddd
maybe try a different brand/model garage door opener?
Why? The cheap little remote works fine from 100' feet away. My car is the problem.

Originally Posted by patmurphey
I drive straight up to it, typical American driveway.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Why? The cheap little remote works fine from 100' feet away. My car is the problem.

I drive straight up to it, typical American driveway.
I meant to say that there’s radio frequency interference between the side assist and the garage door opener homelink communications. Try pulling that side assist fuse and test the homelinka again, if the reception all of a sudden becomes great, then you have a radio frequency problem. Try some other remote/opener that’s operated outside of 315 MHz spectrum.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I meant to say that there’s radio frequency interference between the side assist and the garage door opener homelink communications. Try pulling that side assist fuse and test the homelinka again, if the reception all of a sudden becomes great, then you have a radio frequency problem. Try some other remote/opener that’s operated outside of 315 MHz spectrum.
I'll try that, thanks. I have a Chamberlain opener, not sure what frequency they tend to use.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I was trying to program my 2019 Q5 for my Genie garage door opener, but I couldn't get past the 1st step, the Q5 refused to recognize and pair with my transmitter, wasted one hour... until I found this TSB, which tells you to pull the Side Assist fuse and re-try. It worked! So if you are stuck, try this. TSB attached. Apparently the 315 MHz used by the transmitter is also used by the Audi Side Assist, which interferes with the Q5's ability to pair with the transmitter. Good luck!
That is the correct answer. Fixed the Homelink problem on my SQ5 that way last summer.

Quick Reply: 2018/2019 Q5 Homelink programming