Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreSwede
Great point Vipin! I could be all wrong and apologize, if so.

Why am I suspicious?
Life didn’t get in the way to make the post, but has now that some people followed up to ask questions and look for updates.
Some posters had very low post count, as in this being their first.
Posts similar to this happen a lot on forums. People have reasons they want to create intense discussions for who knows what purpose.

Again, I’m very appreciative of the couple posters who took time to update. That kind of partnership is what keeps me coming back to gain and hopefully give back to others. Needless trolling, not so much.
Originally Posted by -hef-
i am not sure why... but this is what can happen:

some people come here as part of researching a car, myself included. when potential buyers see engine failure threads on brand new cars, it can weigh heavy enough for them to pick another car. i am not saying anyone's been untruthful, but think about the guy who is accused of murder but is then acquitted. the stain of being accused is there forever. when i see threads like this one i do a few different things - i look to see how many posts the person has and if they just came here to vent. in most cases, folks have fewer than 10 posts even months after they've posted a thread like this. and they often do not follow up about whether the issue was fixed or if the manufacturer pissed them off enough for them to move onto another brand. the latter post usually looks like this: "eff you [car manufacturer name]! i can't believe that i spent [x dollars] on this car and it has [y problem]! i am too impatient to let them try to address the problem properly. i am out!"

i did a quick scan of the folks who reported engine failures in this thread and i looked at their post count - i found 5 engine failure posts and here are the posters' total post counts - 8, 4, 6, 5, and 1. not asking anyone to interpret this in a certain way. it is just semi-interesting data.

after reading threads like this, i usually land on this position:

and i do feel genuinely bad for folks going through this. i hope you all stick it out to see if Audi makes good because i think, on whole, they make a good product.

Sorry guys. I might’ve sounded rude in my previous post. I was definitely not questioning you. Just curious is all.

And I did not look at the post count of those people. I see what you guys mean now.

I asked around at the dealerships here and all three said they haven’t till date gotten any Q5s with engine problems. And they’ve sold tens of thousands combined. So looks like it isn’t as common as we think it is and just a few customers? Let’s see if we get anymore reports here.

And to those who were unfortunate enough to have a defective Q5. I’d say don’t let one defect stop you from enjoying the brand. Give them a chance. One of my friends had a Lexus and the first car she got spent almost two months in the dealership from brand new and she ended up getting a brand new car. That brand new car needed an engine replacement and she switched brands. No more Lexus for her. A colleague bought a GLC300 that he says was plagued with engine problems and rattles and stuff and his wife’s C300 had issues too. He said no more MB for them. What I’m trying to say is that it isn’t Audi alone that has issues. It happens to every manufacturer. I’ve read of supercars needing new engines too. And even Toyotas which are the epitome of reliability. So yea.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to my tale of woe: so, the dealer replaced the engine and did about 200+ miles of road testing (to recap: it had 88 miles on it when the engine failed), which I'm totally fine with. I pick the car up on Friday, 10/26. Take it for maybe a 50 mile test drive through windy parkways, surface streets, and interstate. No problems all seems good. My daughter and I leave NYC on Saturday to head upstate. It's hammering rain, and I go through a pretty large puddle in a dip in the FDR expressway, which other cars are also navigating. Get back up to speed (35 MPH+), going through a concrete chute for roadwork when I get a "Steering Malfunction: Stop Engine Immediately" (or whatever the exact phrasing is). Steering all but locks up. I wrestle the car off the next exit. For the second time in the less than 30 days I've owned the vehicle, my daughter and I are sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow and for Audi to deliver a loaner, so we can continue our trip. The dealer said a sensor in the wheel well was knocked loose or damaged, potentially by the "deep water in the puddle" (it wasn't that deep). After pushing the dealer, and explaining that neither my wife nor my daughter trust this car anymore and refuse to get in it, they acknowledged a $60K Audi shouldn't be bricked by a puddle. They gave me the Audi Customer Care #, and told me they would support me in requesting a replacement vehicle, which I plan to do today. I'll keep the group updated. So to recap:
  • In two attempts to leave NYC with daughter in the car, I've had two major, mechanical malfunctions.
  • Both happened at or approaching highway speeds
  • Of the nearly 500 miles on the vehicle, I've put less than 100 miles on it myself

Wish me luck.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaAudi
Update to my tale of woe: so, the dealer replaced the engine and did about 200+ miles of road testing (to recap: it had 88 miles on it when the engine failed), which I'm totally fine with. I pick the car up on Friday, 10/26. Take it for maybe a 50 mile test drive through windy parkways, surface streets, and interstate. No problems all seems good. My daughter and I leave NYC on Saturday to head upstate. It's hammering rain, and I go through a pretty large puddle in a dip in the FDR expressway, which other cars are also navigating. Get back up to speed (35 MPH+), going through a concrete chute for roadwork when I get a "Steering Malfunction: Stop Engine Immediately" (or whatever the exact phrasing is). Steering all but locks up. I wrestle the car off the next exit. For the second time in the less than 30 days I've owned the vehicle, my daughter and I are sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow and for Audi to deliver a loaner, so we can continue our trip. The dealer said a sensor in the wheel well was knocked loose or damaged, potentially by the "deep water in the puddle" (it wasn't that deep). After pushing the dealer, and explaining that neither my wife nor my daughter trust this car anymore and refuse to get in it, they acknowledged a $60K Audi shouldn't be bricked by a puddle. They gave me the Audi Customer Care #, and told me they would support me in requesting a replacement vehicle, which I plan to do today. I'll keep the group updated. So to recap:
  • In two attempts to leave NYC with daughter in the car, I've had two major, mechanical malfunctions.
  • Both happened at or approaching highway speeds
  • Of the nearly 500 miles on the vehicle, I've put less than 100 miles on it myself

Wish me luck.
Wow, that really sucks.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck
Hopefully Audi steps up and takes care of you.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Damn @SaratogaAudi . That sucks big time. I hope Audi does the right thing and replaces your car. I would be pissed if I was in the same position as you.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The same thing happened to my 2018 SQ5 and it happened about a week in APR stage one and I thought it was because of that also I was ripping it when it came up but I just turned my car on and off real quick and it disappeared. Has been normal for a month now
Old 06-27-2021, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

So, how are you in the replacement process - fingers crossed they can get you swapped into a new ride & soon!

Our 2018 Q5 (traded in for SQ5 this year) and my mother-in-laws 2017 Q5 have been flawless.

As you already posted - things happen (CAN bus wiring issues, etc) that just result in a “lemon”…. Fingers crossed you get this resolved and fast. 😉👍🏻
Old 03-09-2023, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2018 Sq5 bad engine

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

Thank you. I didn’t think of that. The SQ5 engine is built in Mexico too right? I hope no SQ5s have that issue.
I have a 2018 Sq5 Prestige. After 100k miles the engine needs replacement. It went into limp mode after the hill descent sensor kicked the engine into a lower gear while driving down the hill. I got the warning of "2500 rpm limit" Audi dealer requested all oil change service records after claiming the engine's oil was sludge and metal shavings in the oil. The records confirmed no negligence since all service was performed on time. I'm picking up the vehicle this Monday and feel a bit apprehensive about the possibility of further issues. I had the extended warranty, which was about to expire in 2 mos. Audi said retail value for new engine 30k, but 22k for the dealer.