Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Saivivek Bheemanathini
Dude why would I troll on audi if am BMW fan. I did look at BMW X3 before going for Audi, I didn’t like their cost for package add-ons, it was a mess. I went for the fully loaded 2018 Q5 prestige with tinted front windows less than the cost of BMW X3.

Talking about your suspicion, I bought my car from Audi Omaha in Nebraska, and we were relocated to Indy for job. Incident happened after we moved to Indy and we towed to Indianapolis Tom wood dealership. The other owner got his car in Wisconsin and unfortunately his incident happened in Indianapolis too.

Talking about driving skills, this is a brand new vehicle, how would you expect one to drive a first time Audi owner, I’m not a bonker to waste a 60 grand car. As a matter of fact this is our 3rd car, the other two are 2006 Passat and 2006 Jetta, they are still in good condition, that’s how we take care of them. The only reason we went for Audi is have good protection for our baby, but unfortunately it became an irony for us. Hope it answered your questions.

i must have misread the posts as i thought you wear the owner of the two cars that needed to be replaced. good luck with the dealer on getting a new car
Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted with updates.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 Prestige engine burned out

Originally Posted by Saivivek Bheemanathini
Hi All,

I’ve bought 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige model with all bells and whistles a month ago. Last week I and my family were on the highway and we see the drive system malfunction on the dashboard and we saw no acceleration and we were kinda panicked and drove into the emergency lane. We called road assistance and towed car to the nearby dealership. They’ve confirmed with in an hour that engine burned out and Audi recommends it to be replaced. I was shocked to see an engine failed with in a month and was utterly disappointed with the Audi in this case. They haven’t reached out to me yet with the possible solution. I’m only expecting to get a replacement or a refund from them. What do you guys suggest? And have any one faced the similar issue.

Thanks
9/7/2018 - Same thing just happened to me today. I have put 105 miles on the car. The dealership (Cherry Hill Audi) doesn't know what is wrong with the car. This is too incredible to believe. I just waited 12 weeks for this car to get built and delivered to me. What possessed me to choose Audi. I could have gotten a BMW. I will keep the Forum informed. If I don't get a new car, I will let my lawyer handle the matter. What a revolting development this is.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by naomicc
9/7/2018 - Same thing just happened to me today. I have put 105 miles on the car. The dealership (Cherry Hill Audi) doesn't know what is wrong with the car. This is too incredible to believe. I just waited 12 weeks for this car to get built and delivered to me. What possessed me to choose Audi. I could have gotten a BMW. I will keep the Forum informed. If I don't get a new car, I will let my lawyer handle the matter. What a revolting development this is.
I feel your frustration and I would feel the same way. But to think that this does not happen occasionally to BMW or any other brand is not reality. It is most certainly an unfortunate anomaly that happens to every marque. Best wishes for a speedy and fully compensated resolve. Please keep us posted. I want to know how Audi responds in both speed and compensation.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A failure of this magnitude on three brand new cars of the same model gives me pause. Did they tweak the engine going from MKI to MKII?
Old 09-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naomicc
Ah man! I understand the panic and the trouble we’ve to go through. I’ve tried to press for the actual reason the major repair from Audi, they are trying to keep it secret till now. May be afraid if this trend continues, they will face a class action lawsuit, followed by a recall which will be a huge financial loss to them. They deserve it though, how can they engineer a brand new engine design to fail, have they done proper testing, did they fail at the engine assembly? My mind is running in different direction in search of questions, I spent 2 months researching every SUV and finally found this dud. Disappointed. Hope you’ll find answer and assistance from Audi too.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, it's disappointing to be sure. I worked in the the premium auto industry for a number of years, much of that time in service. I have seen many different brands have engine problems on new cars...it happens to everybody. I once saw a MB V12 blow up weeks old, so regardless of price it can happen.

You need to consider the engine in your Q5 is used in MANY models that Audi sells, including the other brands in the group. Tens (hundreds?) of thousands of these engines have been built, and it's clear they have had good reliability. That said, you had a serious problem, which is a crummy deal but not out of the realm of possibility.

I find it very odd that you can not tell us what the problem is. After working in service I also find it very implausible that they are "hiding" the cause from you. While the true issue may not be located 100%, surly the general area of failure is. Not everyone could understand ultra-techincial explanation, but I find it suspect all you know is "oil consumption" and what does "burned out" even mean? It's also quite presumptuous of you to speculate that these cars all need recalled or that there is an engineering issue.

Quick example. I now am a farmer and recently purchased a $500,000 John Deere combine. I recently was contacted saying my engine needed replaced after being used for less than 2 months. Ended up the machine that presses in cylinder wall liners became out of spec, meaning piston failure is possible. The total number produced before the issue was resolved.... 3 combine engines. Yup, out of thousands upon thousands made I bought 1 of the 3. No massive recall, no poor engineering, no bad assembly procedures, just a malfunctioning robot.

Tens of thousands of Q5s are on the road without issue and people love them. I'd let Audi be given the opportunity to resolve the situation before you decide Audi (and all their products) are terrible. It's hard when it's your car, but failed engines doesn't mean you won't enjoy the car for year to come once fixed. I hope you are patient and receive a good resolution just like I did from John Deere.
The following users liked this post:
kocyk123 (06-25-2021)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this sucks guys, engine failure is a major bummer on a brand new ride. I truly hope Audi replaces your entire vehicle because no one wants a brand new car that was rebuilt in the shop after a few hundred or thousand miles.

That said, this does happen, one small imperfection on a key part like a piston ring, cylinder liner or oil/water galleries and the engine pops. VAG has been improving their 2.0L 4Cyl Turbo engine for 20 years now and it is very solid. These cases just sound like those random one-off defects that do happen. Hang tough and push hard for a replacement vehicle and not simple a new engine...I trust the assembly line process much more than I would a couple of Audi techs when you are talking about a complete engine pull. ..easy to forget a nut or washer...or scratch the finish on your new ride.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

where is the car currently located?

Any dealer can make this an extremely easy thing for you, without the vehicle even being fixed, and give you a brand new one. Or, you can wait for reimbursement from Audi corporate directly
Old 09-09-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, it's disappointing to be sure. I worked in the the premium auto industry for a number of years, much of that time in service. I have seen many different brands have engine problems on new cars...it happens to everybody. I once saw a MB V12 blow up weeks old, so regardless of price it can happen.

You need to consider the engine in your Q5 is used in MANY models that Audi sells, including the other brands in the group. Tens (hundreds?) of thousands of these engines have been built, and it's clear they have had good reliability. That said, you had a serious problem, which is a crummy deal but not out of the realm of possibility.

I find it very odd that you can not tell us what the problem is. After working in service I also find it very implausible that they are "hiding" the cause from you. While the true issue may not be located 100%, surly the general area of failure is. Not everyone could understand ultra-techincial explanation, but I find it suspect all you know is "oil consumption" and what does "burned out" even mean? It's also quite presumptuous of you to speculate that these cars all need recalled or that there is an engineering issue.

Quick example. I now am a farmer and recently purchased a $500,000 John Deere combine. I recently was contacted saying my engine needed replaced after being used for less than 2 months. Ended up the machine that presses in cylinder wall liners became out of spec, meaning piston failure is possible. The total number produced before the issue was resolved.... 3 combine engines. Yup, out of thousands upon thousands made I bought 1 of the 3. No massive recall, no poor engineering, no bad assembly procedures, just a malfunctioning robot.

Tens of thousands of Q5s are on the road without issue and people love them. I'd let Audi be given the opportunity to resolve the situation before you decide Audi (and all their products) are terrible. It's hard when it's your car, but failed engines doesn't mean you won't enjoy the car for year to come once fixed. I hope you are patient and receive a good resolution just like I did from John Deere.
Originally Posted by MkVI GTI
I know this sucks guys, engine failure is a major bummer on a brand new ride. I truly hope Audi replaces your entire vehicle because no one wants a brand new car that was rebuilt in the shop after a few hundred or thousand miles.

That said, this does happen, one small imperfection on a key part like a piston ring, cylinder liner or oil/water galleries and the engine pops. VAG has been improving their 2.0L 4Cyl Turbo engine for 20 years now and it is very solid. These cases just sound like those random one-off defects that do happen. Hang tough and push hard for a replacement vehicle and not simple a new engine...I trust the assembly line process much more than I would a couple of Audi techs when you are talking about a complete engine pull. ..easy to forget a nut or washer...or scratch the finish on your new ride.
I wish this forum had the option to show that you like individual posts.
I really feel for the OP and I wouldn't want to be in his situation but I also think that these replies are valid.
I totally agree with MkVI GTI as well. I trust the assembly line process more than the Audi techs.
The following users liked this post:
kocyk123 (06-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Engine Failure