Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Roof Bars Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redherring
Raises an interesting question--does anybody know if the previous gen bars fit the new one? I've never used the ones that came with my 2013 and because of that can't see buying new ones, but if the old ones fit (and I bet they don't for just this reason) I'll keep them.
Did you ever check into this? I am curious as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default OP Questions Answered

Originally Posted by montclair2525
The rear location on the roof is lower than the front. Is the rear bar higher so the front and rear bars end up level?
No, the rear bar ends up lower than the front bar. Not an issue for me with my Thule Flow cargo box.

Can anyone measure the dimension from the center of the front bar back to where it hits the fully opened rear hatch? Important dimension for fitting a cargo box.
The dimension is 49"

I know you can limit the upper range of the rear hatch, but I am 6' tall and don't want to smack my head on the hatch!
For the record, the Thule Flow cargo box fits the 2018 Q5 just fine in the most forward on the bars position. The rear spoiler of the hatch tucks just under the box cover by 1/4" when the hatch is fully raised. To be safe, I set it about an inch lower.

Thule says you need 51-7/8" for this box to fit, but it's fine with 49".
Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sdotson
Did you ever check into this? I am curious as well.
Checked my old bars today even though I have read that they would not fit and they definitely do not fit. I will be looking for bars asap as I need them for this weekend!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by brew99
Checked my old bars today even though I have read that they would not fit and they definitely do not fit. I will be looking for bars asap as I need them for this weekend!
I had read that too. Thanks for checking.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, took delivery of my Q5. I'm investigating roof bars.

Audi OEM MSRP $460 p/n 80A071151 Base Carrier Bars
Best price I've found is from Audi Parts | audionlineparts.com @ 22% off $360.64. This is Audi Meadowlands in NJ.

Much cheaper than Thule and Yakima, whom are not even offering a 2018 version yet.

Has anyone bought the OEM item? I would love to see photos of the bars on the car.

The rear location on the roof is lower than the front. Is the rear bar higher so the front and rear bars end up level?

Can anyone measure the dimension from the center of the front bar back to where it hits the fully opened rear hatch? Important dimension for fitting a cargo box. I know you can limit the upper range of the rear hatch, but I am 6' tall and don't want to smack my head on the hatch!

Many thanks!

Rich

Rich,

It's about 52" from the center of the front bar to the bar hatch...hope this info helps.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDIZL
Rich,

It's about 52" from the center of the front bar to the rear hatch...hope this info helps.
It's about 52" from the center of the front bar to the rear** hatch...hope this info helps.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up the OEM bars for my Q5 for racking my kayak - and for the most part they've been great.

There was a slight wind whistle once installed that I could hear when at highway speeds - not super annoying, but noticeable if the radio is quiet.

However, with my Thule Dockglide carriers up, the wind noise is much more pronounced. Anyone have recommendations on a wind diffuser that will fit on the OEM racks?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are pix of my roof bars + my Thule Dockglide Kayak carriers

Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics. I see the bars have the rubber strip with the ribs that reduce wind noise. My original 2011 bars rubber strip were smooth and I changed with a Thule part number that was ribbed and much quieter.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So are most people opting for the OEM base carrier bars?

I've done some searching online and seems like the OEM bars are the only available option right now. For those that have them, are you happy with them so far? I've never purchased base bars before so don't know if I should go with OEM or wait to see what Thule or Yakima bring out...

Also, the OEM seems a bit pricey at $460 but it also seems like Thule/Yakima will be in the same price range.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Roof Bars Questions