2018 Q5/SQ5's Production 'Bottleneck' - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page > 2018 Q5/SQ5's Production 'Bottleneck'
Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5/SQ5's Production 'Bottleneck'

Old 06-16-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2018 Q5/SQ5's Production 'Bottleneck'

It's official - just followed up progress today with my SQ5 order with my dealer. Informed last week that the order had changed to build stage and expected delivery end of July /early August in the UK.
Shocked to hear today that there has been what Audi have described as a 'bottleneck in production' and due to delays I am unlikely to see the vehicle before end of October and possibly early November !! ( 20+ weeks delay )

Perhaps the AUDI design team have woken up to the poor reviews of that rear valance and are sorting out those ghastly fake exhausts and come up with something that is more befitting of a performance luxury SUV ?!

Considering my options and may decide to cancel.

Ordered : Navarra Blue, Panroof, 21"Diamond wheels, Air suspension, Flat bottomed steering wheel, B+O sound system,VC - all a distant dream now !
Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe the production delays have something to do with labour disputes. Here's an article about it dated May 1, 2017:
At Audi plant, labor tensions stir

The dispute may have been resolved. Depending on the number of production days lost due to it, they'll have to do some serious catching up to make up for the lost time.

Last edited by plat27265; 06-16-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Time to cancel my order and wait until next year. I'd rather not purchase a vehicle that could be made "half-assed" while they sort out the labour/production-related "kinks" in their new factory.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:11 PM
tte
Audiworld Junior Member

All Canadian Q5's were held at port for "quality hold" for a month, so it doesn't sound like it had anything to do with labour dispute, unless they installed the engines upside down to protest.

Rumour had it they had to send in engineers from Germany to fix the problem. My dealer told me my Q5 was finally released from hold 2 weeks ago. The port is only about 10 miles from my dealer, but I'm still waiting. The dealer called it a "headrest issue". Must be some headrest to require engineers from Germany.

I called Audi but they refused to explain the issue. When I pressed, they said it was a general "quality check". They did not explain why the "quality check" had to be done at port instead of before leaving the factory.

The more they prevaricate, the more serious I think the problem must have been. Hearing the 20+ week delay now, I'm inclined to think they hit a major snag requiring re-engineering. So maybe you're actually lucky as your car will be properly fixed.

This is my first Audi, and I regret to say right now I'm singularly unimpressed.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by broadcastguy View Post
Time to cancel my order and wait until next year. I'd rather not purchase a vehicle that could be made "half-assed" while they sort out the labour/production-related "kinks" in their new factory.
This is a very good idea!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it's a headrest then it could be a safety issue and those are a big deal even if it's a minor fix. I'm not worried about the quality, even Toyota has been having issues. The RX forum looked like a war zone for the last year and a half. Many Lexus users are very unhappy with their cars and the lack of effort to fix them. I'll be unhappy if I have to wait longer but that's life. This is a bad deal for Audi too and it might be an outsourced part.
I agree that it's not a Labor delay, the article clearly states that the workers don't have an issue with Audi but with their union.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I checked with my dealer and they don't have any on hold. They sent me a printout on mine it hit Port yesterday and has no hold. ETA Status "On Track"; Open Campaigns-None.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just checked with mine as well (also in the US) and he confirmed they don't have any on hold, nor has he heard of any production issues.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hope all is well with your Q5's. I'll just let you be the guinea pigs and hold off until next year.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to a dealership last Monday to place an order on a Q5. A week later I texted my salesman and asked him whether they ordered the car yet. He said not yet, they are still waiting for the "allocation". I asked him what is allocation and he said he dealership is given a specific number of cars they can order. How long do you think it takes to even order the car?

Search this Thread