Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings

Hello all,

My wife has a 2018 Q5 and we have noticed two things.

1. the foot swing sensor is no longer working, I went under the car and looked under the rear and noticed that there was just a big opening with the tail light and sensor wires, but couldn't for the life of me find anything that would be a sensor to activate the hatch, any idea what it looks like?

2. We have had on a few occasions now the hatch just randomly open, I read that others with the Q7 have had this happen and it seems folks can get the dealer to extend the time one has to push the trunk button, we had it happen twice now, once while in the garage (thankfully pulled up enough not to touch) and another time when we had a 5 minute rain storm (glad they engineered it so with the hatch open rain didn't get in.

Any information on where the sensor is and what it looks like would be great, and also if anyone else has the hatch randomly open?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The sensor for the foot swing opening is a wire that runs laterally embedded in the bottom of the bumper cover.
The rear hatch opening is common on many of the 17 & 18 models - including trunk opening on the A4. To my knowledge no one has come up with a reasonable explanation. Many blame it on inadvertent button pushing while the key is in a pocket. Others say that's not possible in their case. The surest cure is to use OBDEleven to increase the delay when pushing a button to open the rear hatch (or trunk). I did that to both my Q7 & Q5 (set to 2 second delay) & it solved the problem.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with the random openings and it was really disturbing! Fortunately there is a bulletin out for the dealers and they can fix it it for you.

The problem is the keyfob tailgate button being way too sensitive to the point where it goes off while in a pocket or purse. Audi’s fix changes the behavior of the button so you have to press it for a few seconds before it activates. I’ve had no problems since.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Program the keyfob for a longer press in order to open the boot lid. I moved mine to 2.8 seconds and it solved my random trunk openings.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
The sensor for the foot swing opening is a wire that runs laterally embedded in the bottom of the bumper cover.
The rear hatch opening is common on many of the 17 & 18 models - including trunk opening on the A4. To my knowledge no one has come up with a reasonable explanation. Many blame it on inadvertent button pushing while the key is in a pocket. Others say that's not possible in their case. The surest cure is to use OBDEleven to increase the delay when pushing a button to open the rear hatch (or trunk). I did that to both my Q7 & Q5 (set to 2 second delay) & it solved the problem.
Thanks, so the wire isn't visible? I will see if I can have the dealer change the button press, I think you have to hold it down for a few seconds now but it still is opening, not sure if it is her purse or when I have it in my pants pocket.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mathewj
Thanks, so the wire isn't visible? I will see if I can have the dealer change the button press, I think you have to hold it down for a few seconds now but it still is opening, not sure if it is her purse or when I have it in my pants pocket.
I'm also interested in more information on this sensor/wire. My wife's trunk/hatch opens maybe once out of 100 tries, if that. We've completely given up on even attempting to use the foot kick option at all. (BTW, this works perfectly in my car, so I don't believe it is user error -- plus the sales person had a very difficult time activating this and blamed it on the fact that we have the hitch installed)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dereitz
I'm also interested in more information on this sensor/wire. My wife's trunk/hatch opens maybe once out of 100 tries, if that. We've completely given up on even attempting to use the foot kick option at all. (BTW, this works perfectly in my car, so I don't believe it is user error -- plus the sales person had a very difficult time activating this and blamed it on the fact that we have the hitch installed)
Just an FYI i have the hitch and no problem.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
Just an FYI i have the hitch and no problem.
Thank you, that is very good to know. Maybe it's time for a visit to the dealer then to see if they can do anything.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an SQ5 that was doing it but hasn’t lately. I know it’s NOT random button push as it happens when key is hanging on a hook inside my front door.

The only conceivable explanation I can come up with is critters. I have a few ground hogs and cats I’ve seen hanging around the car. I figure the keys are close enough maybe 10-15 ft away, that the critters climbing around there are setting the sensor off. They’re all agile enough to climb up on a metal garbage can about 3’ tall.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jascooper
I have an SQ5 that was doing it but hasn’t lately. I know it’s NOT random button push as it happens when key is hanging on a hook inside my front door.

The only conceivable explanation I can come up with is critters. I have a few ground hogs and cats I’ve seen hanging around the car. I figure the keys are close enough maybe 10-15 ft away, that the critters climbing around there are setting the sensor off. They’re all agile enough to climb up on a metal garbage can about 3’ tall.

the remote needs to be few feet away and in the back

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings