Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalMN
How can you reprogram the fob? Is it something the dealer has to do?
Dealer or tool like OBDeleven or VAG. Although I am suspicious that the change will do nothing related to the problem. I point to:

My tailgate has opened and the key was not in my pocket.

The tailgate opened about four times over a week period, and has not happened since (about a month), with no changes be made in where key is kept or how tailgate is opened or closed.

As for the foot sensor, I have a hitch installed and was told the sensor moved to the left of the hitch. After several attempts it opened when I moved my foot to the right side. I’m giving up looking like an idiot kicking my bumper and just using my hands. How often do you not have a hand free when opening the tailgate? Now if it closed when you’re holding all your groceries when you get home.... But does foot closing work?

Sometimes new technology is worthless. I have a Shell Fuel Rewards card. Swipe it before using CC to get discount. So I see a sign that says I can use my phone now to pay and get my discount. Download the Fuel Rewards app, but it told me another account was link to the FR card I’ve had for years. Shell sends me a new card, but although it was now linked, I couldn’t figure out how to make it work. Mind you, I was an IT manager for years. Call Shell, who informs me I need the Pay & Save Shell app. Download that but still no go. Call back and ask how do I get my discount and pay with my FR card (linked to my CC). Answer, “You can’t.” You need to use the Pay &Save app. Ok, how do I use the FR app to get the discount and just use my CC to pay? You can’t. Then what is the FR app for if not to get the FR discount? Answer: “Other promotions”. OK, how do I pay for gas with my phone? “You’ll have to call Shell and ask.” “I thought you were Shell.” ‘No. We’re Fuel Rewards”

I wonder if I can kick my bumper and get my gas cap to open...

So, now we have a way to unlock our cars and leave the key in our pocket. With one caveat... Don’t leave the key in your pocket. 🤯
Old 09-05-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a second random opening of the hatch this weekend - inside the garage with the garage door down. So the bottom edge of the tailgate hit the garage door, giving me my first scratch! Luckily it’s small and not visible when closed, but very frustrating. Also worth noting that once the hatch hit the garage door, it continued trying to lift and became wedged. You’d think it would have some sort of resistance sensor. A friend and I pushed out on the garage door and pulled down on the hatch until it finally closed. Beware of the haunted hatch!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a second random opening of the hatch this weekend - inside the garage with the garage door down. So the bottom edge of the tailgate hit the garage door, giving me my first scratch! Luckily it’s small and not visible when closed, but very frustrating. Also worth noting that once the hatch hit the garage door, it continued trying to lift and became wedged. You’d think it would have some sort of resistance sensor. A friend and I pushed out on the garage door and pulled down on the hatch until it finally closed. Beware of the haunted hatch!
This is exactly what happened to me on three occasions. Sadly my scratch is quite visible. Hasn't happened in a few months though!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hatch adjust

You know there is a way to change the height of the tailgate open. It's in your manual. Mine hit the garage door a couple times, I looked it up and followed the instructions to adjust the height. Now it only opens to that height. I did get a scratch originally but it's not too bad. Check the manual. It was pretty easy.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just happened to me this past weekend--came out of a 2-hour or so event to find my hatch wide open. Fortunately on a quiet side street and not in a city parking lot or there'd have been nothing left in the car (not that there was much of value anyway). Due for a service visit next week and will have them adjust.

I got the kick-open to work a couple of times shortly after I got the car, but doesn't work at all anymore. I stand behind it swinging my leg like a demented punter until I inevitably whack my shin on the bumper, swear, and just push the button. I've really only needed the kick-thing a few times, but dammit it should work better than it does.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redherring
I got the kick-open to work a couple of times shortly after I got the car, but doesn't work at all anymore. I stand behind it swinging my leg like a demented punter until I inevitably whack my shin on the bumper, swear, and just push the button. I've really only needed the kick-thing a few times, but dammit it should work better than it does.
Kick straight in and out, step back, and it should open after a second or two. Stepping back and waiting are critical. If you're waving your foot or continuing to kick in and out, it won't work.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Kick straight in and out, step back, and it should open after a second or two. Stepping back and waiting are critical. If you're waving your foot or continuing to kick in and out, it won't work.
I know the drill, but still not working. What kind of sensor is it? Can it get covered with dirt and blocked?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by redherring
I know the drill, but still not working. What kind of sensor is it? Can it get covered with dirt and blocked?
fwiw, for everyone I hear and see day to day that say they know the drill, when I ask them to do it for me, they don't, and it's what, more often than not, leads to it not working

gives a really good visual of the location and motion.

Granted, I am around these cars all day, every day. But there is not a single time where it does not work for me after watching the video initially when I first started
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just FYI. I received a call from dealer couple of weeks ago to take our Q5 in for software update for this issue, trunk randomly opening. Since I do not have this issue I did not take the car in and I told them I will wait until the cars first maintenance so they can do the update at the same time. We are in Southern California if that makes any difference.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
fwiw, for everyone I hear and see day to day that say they know the drill, when I ask them to do it for me, they don't, and it's what, more often than not, leads to it not working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGzyFvpiJs

gives a really good visual of the location and motion.

Granted, I am around these cars all day, every day. But there is not a single time where it does not work for me after watching the video initially when I first started
Is it in the same location on cars without the tow hitch? I thought I saw a video at some point that showed the location to be left of center, with no hitch installed. Mine works most of the time but it is a little sporadic. Maybe I'm just kicking in the wrong location

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings