Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 - ABT TUNE or APR

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 SQ5 - ABT TUNE or APR

So I'm getting my new SQ5 in a couple of days and naturally I'm already looking to tune the car. I've been in touch with the ABT rep and they have already developed an ECU tune that pushes out an extra 20% in power 75hp and 550Nm. The issue here is price - they want $4850 (Canadian) plus HST + PFAFF wants another $420 to install. I know APR and AWE are both working on an ECU tune that will be released in a few months (probably at a much more responsible price). My question here is - who do you guys think is better ABT or APR or AWE?

Any input would help. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Ouch! That's pretty expensive. At that price point the Macan S would have gotten you the power out of the box. I put on the DTUK piggyback (DTE is the same). It nets out about 35HP/54ft-lb WHP (~41HP / 64ft-lb engine HP -- assuming 18% loss which matches up to others getting their A4 B9's dyno'd), with a really aggressive increase at the bottom end. You can pick that up for $900CAD.

Personally, I'd do the piggy back now. If you wanted more later, sell the piggyback (takes 5-10 minutes to install/remove), and do the tune when something cheaper comes out. With the piggy back, you can remove for service, and no-body is the wiser. Tune, not so much. My 2-cents....
Old 02-04-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wires
Ouch! That's pretty expensive. At that price point the Macan S would have gotten you the power out of the box. I put on the DTUK piggyback (DTE is the same). It nets out about 35HP/54ft-lb WHP (~41HP / 64ft-lb engine HP -- assuming 18% loss which matches up to others getting their A4 B9's dyno'd), with a really aggressive increase at the bottom end. You can pick that up for $900CAD.

Personally, I'd do the piggy back now. If you wanted more later, sell the piggyback (takes 5-10 minutes to install/remove), and do the tune when something cheaper comes out. With the piggy back, you can remove for service, and no-body is the wiser. Tune, not so much. My 2-cents....
Personally, I'm not a fan of the Macan - plus Porsche kills you on the options. I've never heard of the DTUK Piggyback. Is this the best piggyback option on the market? I'm going to do some research on the DTUK (Thanks for the input). Apparently, GIAC is making a flash for the new SQ5 + intake and exhaust).
Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a laughable amount of money for some aftermarket tune.
The following users liked this post:
DC321 (06-22-2019)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something here? I believe that a 2018 Porsche Macan S produces less horsepower and less torque than a 2018 Audi SQ5.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Porsche comes in 3 tiers (normal, GTS and turbo). Turbo gets you the 400HP that other tunes can get you in a SQ5. You are right though, you get nailed to the wall with the add on options (I was just speaking from raw HP point of view). Value for the money, the SQ5 is hard to beat across brands. Getting an X5 with comparable performance/tech would cost an extra $30k over the Audi.

I don't know if it's "the best". They white label the DTE product (google chiptuning for their website). the DTE version allows configuration via your smartphone or the front interface, DTUK only the front interface. Comes with 3 maps which changes how/where the power is delivered, with 7 adjustments for boost on each map (-3 -> 0 -> +3). I run the map #1, level +3, and it gives this exponential torque growth at the bottom end (centers around 2500RPM). My understanding is the other maps will be not as aggressive at the bottom with that non-linear power "hill". Personally, I like that.

I've been running it for a couple weeks now. No issues, no CEL lights. Just works. You will get a bit of a throttle cut at high torque shifts at high throttle due to high boost pressure, but getting off the throttle slightly will eliminate this. This is something a true tune would eliminate, but it's a very minor artifact on this engine setup.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

To be precise, the 2018 Porsche Macan is offered with a (2.0L 4-cylinder - 252HP), Macan S (3.0L V6 - 340HP), Macan GTS (3.0L V6 - 360HP), Macan Turbo (3.6L V6 - 400HP) and the Macan Turbo with Power Pack (3.6L V6 - 440HP). A similarly equipped Macan GTS will run about $20K more than an SQ5.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can’t believe you would even consider paying $5k for a tune. Keep your pants on.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m pretty sure you can get a well-equipped GTS for $80k MSRP less $5k discount from what I’ve read on the Macan Forum. So that would put it in the $12k to $15k over a SQ5 with Sport Package. The 340HP Macan S is faster than a SQ5 (4.9 0-60MPH) according to Car and Driver. A nicely equipped Macan S with Air Suspension, 20” wheels, BOSE, Premium Plus package can be had for $70k after discount. I’ve owned both a Macan S and a 2018 SQ5. The Macan S handles better than the SQ5 and is more fun to drive. I think the reason it is slightly faster is due to the PDK transmission with faster shifts. The SQ5 has more cargo space and passenger room than the Macan and is a better overall value. But Porsche will always win the styling and fun to drive contest IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
notmac1 (06-21-2019)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dtuk

Porsche comes in 3 tiers (normal, GTS and turbo). Turbo gets you the 400HP that other tunes can get you in a SQ5. You are right though, you get nailed to the wall with the add on options (I was just speaking from raw HP point of view). Value for the money, the SQ5 is hard to beat across brands. Getting an X5 with comparable performance/tech would cost an extra $30k over the Audi.

I don't know if it's "the best". They white label the DTE product (google chiptuning for their website). the DTE version allows configuration via your smartphone or the front interface, DTUK only the front interface. Comes with 3 maps which changes how/where the power is delivered, with 7 adjustments for boost on each map (-3 -> 0 -> +3). I run the map #1, level +3, and it gives this exponential torque growth at the bottom end (centers around 2500RPM). My understanding is the other maps will be not as aggressive at the bottom with that non-linear power "hill". Personally, I like that.

I've been running it for a couple weeks now. No issues, no CEL lights. Just works. You will get a bit of a throttle cut at high torque shifts at high throttle due to high boost pressure, but getting off the throttle slightly will eliminate this. This is something a true tune would eliminate, but it's a very minor artifact on this engine setup.

Dtuk has started to have it with smartphone app like DTE. I have 2 arrive tomorrow. One for me and one for my client.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 - ABT TUNE or APR