Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 - ABT TUNE or APR

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time I contacted DTE they did not have the phone product for our vehicles, only the manual adjustments. Nice that DTUK is doing it as well, I look forward to hearing how their app performs.

That aside, please stop calling these things piggy back systems. They are glorified boost controllers that might tie into some other sensors depending on brand/engine. They don't tune anything. They modify values by set amounts and the rest of the car compensates. Tuning includes actual maps and engineering designed to add reliable performance in lots of possible conditions. I'm not saying they're not interesting or worth your time, but I don't like their advertising or borderline deceptive marketing. Just know what you're getting.

Personally I'm an AWE fanboy. I've always liked their products and engineering over APR, but haven't compared in years so YMMV. ABT is a great company but there's no way I'd pay what they want for their products.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Not sure why your bent out of shape on the "piggyback" comment. It's not a replacement ECU, it's not a tune. Does it interpret and remap all the fuel/timing curves? No. It literally piggybacks off the factory system and manipulates sensor values to gain power. It's installation alone validates the name.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Transfer
I can’t believe you would even consider paying $5k for a tune. Keep your pants on.
The SQ5 is perfect for what I need in a daily driver (its just lacking a bit of power). In my eyes, spending 5k for a proper tune from a reputable company is worth is. With Porsche, you are paying an extra 15k for 40hp (going from a turbo to performance plus). I'm sure APR or AWE will come out with a tune for much less than the ABT but that won't happen for a few more months (April according to reps).
The following users liked this post:
bandersen (06-28-2019)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawiz4u
I’m pretty sure you can get a well-equipped GTS for $80k MSRP less $5k discount from what I’ve read on the Macan Forum. So that would put it in the $12k to $15k over a SQ5 with Sport Package. The 340HP Macan S is faster than a SQ5 (4.9 0-60MPH) according to Car and Driver. A nicely equipped Macan S with Air Suspension, 20” wheels, BOSE, Premium Plus package can be had for $70k after discount. I’ve owned both a Macan S and a 2018 SQ5. The Macan S handles better than the SQ5 and is more fun to drive. I think the reason it is slightly faster is due to the PDK transmission with faster shifts. The SQ5 has more cargo space and passenger room than the Macan and is a better overall value. But Porsche will always win the styling and fun to drive contest IMHO.
I agree with you 100% - with a few small tunes the SQ5 will eat any Macan + over all its a much more functional mid sized suv. I had a Macan turbo priced out to match the SQ5 (obviously the horse power was higher) but the price tag was around 100K.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, bad wording when I said "one could get a Macan for the extra tune cost".

I have the same deal with my 340. Put a boost controller on it, and the lower 1/2 of the power band is about the same as a M3. So around town, very similar in performance (expect the lacking of handling the M gets). I'm not tracking the car, so tons of power where you want it, and for $40-50k less.

The DTUK gets you that low end boost. It still feels a bit heavy off the line (since it is), but the torque pours on, and it accelerates like a crazed animal. Loving it!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Ouch! That's pretty expensive. At that price point the Macan S would have gotten you the power out of the box. I put on the DTUK piggyback (DTE is the same). It nets out about 35HP/54ft-lb WHP (~41HP / 64ft-lb engine HP -- assuming 18% loss which matches up to others getting their A4 B9's dyno'd), with a really aggressive increase at the bottom end. You can pick that up for $900CAD.

Personally, I'd do the piggy back now. If you wanted more later, sell the piggyback (takes 5-10 minutes to install/remove), and do the tune when something cheaper comes out. With the piggy back, you can remove for service, and no-body is the wiser. Tune, not so much. My 2-cents....
I have been looking at the piggyback tuning modules from DTUK/DTE. I am leaning towards the DTE RX system for my 2018 SQ5 which includes an app so you can control it from your phone. They advertise gains of 54hp and 84 ft/lbs which is probably at the engine not the wheels. I would be using 93 octane and live in the USA.

Did you install yours on a 2018 Audi SQ5? If so, was it worth the money? Have you seen any engine lights come on? Have you had it serviced since you installed the module, and how did you handle that? I like the ability to detach it if I need to go in for service.

Thank you~
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
Porsche comes in 3 tiers (normal, GTS and turbo). Turbo gets you the 400HP that other tunes can get you in a SQ5. You are right though, you get nailed to the wall with the add on options (I was just speaking from raw HP point of view). Value for the money, the SQ5 is hard to beat across brands. Getting an X5 with comparable performance/tech would cost an extra $30k over the Audi.

I don't know if it's "the best". They white label the DTE product (google chiptuning for their website). the DTE version allows configuration via your smartphone or the front interface, DTUK only the front interface. Comes with 3 maps which changes how/where the power is delivered, with 7 adjustments for boost on each map (-3 -> 0 -> +3). I run the map #1, level +3, and it gives this exponential torque growth at the bottom end (centers around 2500RPM). My understanding is the other maps will be not as aggressive at the bottom with that non-linear power "hill". Personally, I like that.

I've been running it for a couple weeks now. No issues, no CEL lights. Just works. You will get a bit of a throttle cut at high torque shifts at high throttle due to high boost pressure, but getting off the throttle slightly will eliminate this. This is something a true tune would eliminate, but it's a very minor artifact on this engine setup.
DTE advertises 3 levels as Sport, Dynamic, and Efficiency on their RX module. I may get the RX for my 2018 Audi SQ5. I do not like the sound of the WOT fuel cut per se you are getting with the map 1, level 3. Do you know what level that translates to? Is that the Sport, maxed out to +3?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have had no issues and no CEL lights. I'm running map #1 / +3 on the boost settings. It's not a fuel cut at WOT, it is the ECU does a throttle cut if it senses high boost during a shift. It is quite minimal on the SQ5, and can be fully alleviated by getting off the throttle slightly on a shift (and typically only happens when shifting at ~3000RPM where peak torque is).

I'm guessing it is sport +3. Looking at their unit, it looks 100% the same as the DTUK.

It is 100% worth the money. Highly recommend it. It comes with a "blanking" connector that shorts the wires back, so you can remove the physical boost controller. On my BMW, it has a nicer location for the boost controller (under a plastic panel near the firewall). I just put the blanking plug on it, and leave it all connected for service. On the SQ5, the install is a lot more apparent since there is no where to really hide the wire terminations. Install is literally 5-10 minutes, so you could just pull it out for service, and I probably will.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just installed 2 Dtuk. Highly recommended. Still playing with which value is the best. so far my ride is 1/+2. While my Client car is 2/+1.

On 2/+3 . at higher RPM . there was a quick chock. had to lower it down.

And those 2 unit are BT app control. via "PowerControl" from DTE,
Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't played with the maps yet (weather is in the toilet right now), but my understanding is the difference between map 1, 2 and 3 is just power delivery band. Is map #1 more down low, whereas map #2 not as aggressive in the lower region?

Just curious what your "butt dyno" feels.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 - ABT TUNE or APR