Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018 SQ5 Alignment

I have had a 2018 SQ5 (no air suspension) since June 2018, it currently has about 4,500 miles. The alignment seems off to me. I took it in two weeks ago and they claim to have done a 4 wheel alignment, but it steel feels off. When driving down the street, it runs straight, but the steering wheel is definitely cocked to the left at about 5 degrees. If I force the steering wheel to what appears straight, I'm veering off the road to the right. Air pressure is all correct all around. I'm going to call and take it in again....hopefully they'll still fix it for free with the miles as low as they are. I noticed the loaner they gave me (regular Q5) had the same slight turn to the wheel.... It's there no matter if the road has a high crown or if it's perfectly flat. Very annoying. Am I just being picky? I don't want to wind up with messed up tires!
The following users liked this post:
18SQ5er (11-10-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMN
I have had a 2018 SQ5 (no air suspension) since June 2018, it currently has about 4,500 miles. The alignment seems off to me. I took it in two weeks ago and they claim to have done a 4 wheel alignment, but it steel feels off. When driving down the street, it runs straight, but the steering wheel is definitely cocked to the left at about 5 degrees. If I force the steering wheel to what appears straight, I'm veering off the road to the right. Air pressure is all correct all around. I'm going to call and take it in again....hopefully they'll still fix it for free with the miles as low as they are. I noticed the loaner they gave me (regular Q5) had the same slight turn to the wheel.... It's there no matter if the road has a high crown or if it's perfectly flat. Very annoying. Am I just being picky? I don't want to wind up with messed up tires!
I had mine aligned when it had 2000 miles after I drove a loaner and the loaner tracked much straighter. In my case the rear wheels were off and alignment fixed everything, HOWEVER in looking at other threads the cockeyed steering wheel seems to be the only common production issue I can find on the Q5, many of us have mentioned it in a different thread. Mine is off only slightly but still not centered when the vehicle is pointed straight. Love the vehicle in all other areas, have 8K on it now.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Your steering wheel is mounted crooked, take it to audi and have them fix it. Seen it happe on other VAG cars, it was off on my '15 Golf R
Old 01-24-2019, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're ocd about the steering wheel being on center (myself included,) from what I understand, the dealer essentially uses a bubble level to center and lock the steering wheel before proceeding with the alignment. This means if the alignment rack isn't level, if the tech is on the heavier side, you have a loaded vehicle during alignment etc...the bubble level can be off too. What i tend to do now is center the steering wheel as I want it to be, use some post its or tape to mark off what a centered steering wheel is to me, and tell the SA to center the wheel according to my markings instead of the bubble level.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
If you're ocd about the steering wheel being on center (myself included,) from what I understand, the dealer essentially uses a bubble level to center and lock the steering wheel before proceeding with the alignment. This means if the alignment rack isn't level, if the tech is on the heavier side, you have a loaded vehicle during alignment etc...the bubble level can be off too. What i tend to do now is center the steering wheel as I want it to be, use some post its or tape to mark off what a centered steering wheel is to me, and tell the SA to center the wheel according to my markings instead of the bubble level.
That's a great idea!
I have 16k miles on mine (w/air suspension), and I've had the dealer do it twice, first when I got the car, and a month ago when I had my winter tires mounted.
My steering wheel is still off center (opposite direction of what the OP is saying), so I've just given up.
I will definitely do the tape thing for my next one...
Old 03-05-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wanted to give everyone an update on this in case they have similar issues. The crooked steering wheel was the culprit. I took it in and drove it with the service manager - he could tell right away. 4 hours later and my car was driving straight for the first time ever.
The following users liked this post:
18SQ5er (11-10-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

NICE! Glad they took care of it for you.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to give everyone an update on this in case they have similar issues. The crooked steering wheel was the culprit. I took it in and drove it with the service manager - he could tell right away. 4 hours later and my car was driving straight for the first time ever.
Hey there SoCalMN. I have an '18 SQ5 with air suspension. About 8k miles. I also have the same steering wheel issue you mentioned you had. It bugs the crap outta me for an otherwise above average vehicle. Was there a cost to re-aligning the steering wheel with the dealership? Also, have you had any issues since?
Old 11-10-2019, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No cost but it’s back to the same behavior. Very frustrating.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No cost but it’s back to the same behavior. Very frustrating.
Damn, sorry to hear that. Thank you for the feedback.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Alignment