AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   2018 SQ5 Exhaust State (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/2018-sq5-exhaust-state-2966404/)

KarlM1 01-30-2019 12:59 PM

2018 SQ5 Exhaust State

Is anyone upset with a single exhaust on the 18 SQ5. I never got on the ground to take a look as the rear end absolutley looks like dual exhaust. I think the 2017 had dual exhaust. I don’t like the sound. I can’t believe I bought it. I hate the exhaust. Any suggestions on installing duals without voiding my warranty?

turbophreak 01-30-2019 01:05 PM

Don't forget your exhaust manifolds are going to a single turbo and down a single downpipe, so single exhaust is basically what it is. Whether it splits at the back or not it's still a single pipe exhaust after the turbo. I personally love the sound though.

Zeus69 01-30-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by KarlM1 (Post 25269217)
Is anyone upset with a single exhaust on the 18 SQ5. I never got on the ground to take a look as the rear end absolutley looks like dual exhaust. I think the 2017 had dual exhaust. I don’t like the sound. I can’t believe I bought it. I hate the exhaust. Any suggestions on installing duals without voiding my warranty?

Didn’t you listen to the exhaust note before committing to buy the car?!
If yes, you must’ve liked it because you went ahead with purchase.
If not, then...uh...oops?

There are quite a few aftermarket options, no?

96gs917 01-30-2019 05:37 PM

2018 SQ5 exhaust is the same as 2017 except the tips do not exit through the rear valance. The exhaust exits straight down. The drives side exhaust does not open until you
reach 2300 RPM. You can also adjust the sound of the exhaust in drive select mode. Setting it to "dynamic" will make it sound louder. I happen to love the exhaust note on my 2028,
the "fake" tips...not so much.

KarlM1 01-31-2019 03:53 AM

Exhaust

Originally Posted by Zeus69 (Post 25269243)

Didn’t you listen to the exhaust note before committing to buy the car?!
If yes, you must’ve liked it because you went ahead with purchase.
If not, then...uh...oops?

There are quite a few aftermarket options, no?

i guess not. I drove the GM’s personal car.
she had her golf clubs and other items rolling around in the back. It was quite annoying but I liked the power so I bought it. Another post mentions 2017 and 2018 are same exhaust. I thought the 17 had duals or is the driver side fake?

sadiigo 01-31-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by KarlM1 (Post 25269418)

I thought the 17 had duals or is the driver side fake?

Please read the reply above, the driver's side has a valve which is closed until you reach higher rpm. I think if you put the drive mode in Dynamic, it will open up the valve straight away. Annoyingly it will add more sound via soundactor device, which I personally don't like.

KarlM1 01-31-2019 06:19 AM

Exhaust

Thanks. I am in Dynamic S. I don’t hear anything from drivers side. Are you telling me I am hearing fake noise like a Mustang. Please say this is not true!!

sadiigo 01-31-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by KarlM1 (Post 25269479)
Thanks. I am in Dynamic S. I don’t hear anything from drivers side. Are you telling me I am hearing fake noise like a Mustang. Please say this is not true!!

I am afraid it is true, all Audis have soundactor, which sounds worse in Dynamic mode in my opinion. You can disconnect it by removing a fuse. I don't know the exact details but Audi forums have plenty of threads about it. To be honest 2018 SQ5 exhaust note is better than previous generation. I had 2016 S5 which has identical set up to 2017 SQ5 and its exhaust didn't have much of the crackle sound.
The driver's side will open up, I checked it (while standing outside though). There is a good aftermarket exhaust option by AWE Tuning. There was a video posted on one of the threads either here or on Audizine forums.

Ron.S 01-31-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by KarlM1 (Post 25269418)
i guess not. I drove the GM’s personal car.
she had her golf clubs and other items rolling around in the back. It was quite annoying but I liked the power so I bought it. Another post mentions 2017 and 2018 are same exhaust. I thought the 17 had duals or is the driver side fake?

As has been noted previously there are actual dual outlets on the SQ5 but only the passenger side opens at lower RPM’s for better natural exhaust sound. A lot of us don’t like the fake exhaust but the 2020 Mercedes GLE has fakes, so it’s not just Audi. There are a number of people that hated the maintenance cleaning the real ones.
If you like the performance why does something you can’t see bother you so much? Compare the sound of a V6 with duals to your Audi and you might appreciate the SQ5 more. The Beamer crowd hate the fake sound, hard to please everyone.......

HDEddie101 01-31-2019 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by KarlM1 (Post 25269479)

Just to be sure...by "Dynamic S" you mean the selection you chose in "Audi Drive Select", right? OK, did you also engage the transmission selector (simply pulling it backward while in the left gate) into "S" mode instead of "D"? That will give the SQ5 the sportiest sound, at idle and all gears, that the "best" it'll get (at least that was Audi engineers designed for) If that sound is unpalatable to you, then OPPS, you bought the wrong car. Sorry.

But just wondering. I'm not sure what a good sounding exhaust is to your ears. What are you comparing the SQ5 to? Or what are you hoping it'll sound like?

I happen to like the sound very much...I've driven AMG's as well as M3 and the new X3M40i but I chose the SQ5 for its subtle, civilized, sound. But thats me, your taste in exhaust may be different.

The fake exhaust grill? I loathe that Audi did that...I think just about anyone on this forum hates them as well. What was Audi thinking?