Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2018 SQ5 Exhaust State

Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlM1 View Post
Is anyone upset with a single exhaust on the 18 SQ5. I never got on the ground to take a look as the rear end absolutley looks like dual exhaust. I think the 2017 had dual exhaust. I donít like the sound. I canít believe I bought it. I hate the exhaust. Any suggestions on installing duals without voiding my warranty?
You purchase a car based on this? Seriously?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default How to reduce interior exhaust sound on SQ5?

Love the car. Don't like the interior noise when I accelerate. I pulled the fuse (#3 on fuse panel D) to kill the sound actuator (no issues; used spot for power to radar detector) but to me still a little loud. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2019, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried Individual mode for Drive Select? Within individual is an Engine Sound setting you can set to Comfort.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarlM1 View Post
Thanks. I am in Dynamic S. I don’t hear anything from drivers side. Are you telling me I am hearing fake noise like a Mustang. Please say this is not true!!
Plenty of people including myself object to the soundaktor "fake" noise when they first hear about it. Nobody wants fake. Give me genuine. I'm objecting less, though, after considering what the purpose must be. Audi is famous for nice quiet interiors which engineers are always working to make even quieter....and I love the quiet ride myself. But now that they've come so far, a balance needs to be struck. To me the soundaktor is a necessary thing if you want to have the choice between a nice quiet ride or a sport car experience with ample engine noise and feel. Hey, at least the sound isn't coming thru the stereo speakers as as been done. The soundaktor is more of a vibrator mounted on the firewall, I believe.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes. Did not reduce sound sufficiently. Pulled fuse; still looking for reduced sound. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Drivers side exhaust valve?

Originally Posted by 96gs917 View Post
2018 SQ5 exhaust is the same as 2017 except the tips do not exit through the rear valance. The exhaust exits straight down. The drives side exhaust does not open until you
reach 2300 RPM. You can also adjust the sound of the exhaust in drive select mode. Setting it to "dynamic" will make it sound louder. I happen to love the exhaust note on my 2028,
the "fake" tips...not so much.
Can drivers side exhaust valve be made to stay open full time without causing a problem? Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sadiigo View Post
I am afraid it is true, all Audis have soundactor, which sounds worse in Dynamic mode in my opinion. You can disconnect it by removing a fuse. I don't know the exact details but Audi forums have plenty of threads about it. To be honest 2018 SQ5 exhaust note is better than previous generation. I had 2016 S5 which has identical set up to 2017 SQ5 and its exhaust didn't have much of the crackle sound.
The driver's side will open up, I checked it (while standing outside though). There is a good aftermarket exhaust option by AWE Tuning. There was a video posted on one of the threads either here or on Audizine forums.
all audis do not have a soundaktor. my S5 sb doesnt
Old 02-02-2019, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OneOfOne View Post
Same here. Not on my Q5 2.0 TFSI.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jakdawak View Post
Yes. Did not reduce sound sufficiently. Pulled fuse; still looking for reduced sound. Thanks!
You can pull the fuse or you can turn the Soundaktor off with OBDEleven. That gets rid of the amplified noise via vibrating the firewall. Setting the Engine Sound to comfort in Individual tones down the exhaust noise as much as possible. The rest you'll have to get used to. I find that my driving style impacts how much noise is made. Gradual throttle (accelerating or deaccelerating) appears to make less noise.
For completeness, these are the OBDEleven instructions:

Turn Off Soundaktor
Actuator For Structure Borne Sound (A9) > Adaptation > Volume of structure-borne noise actuator > default 100 (%) > Enter a value (0 = mute)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OneOfOne View Post
Unless you forcibly removed it, I'll bet it does. What makes you think doesn't? See the box behind the fluid reservoir under the cover and affixed to the firewall:

Soundaktor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Exhaust State

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: