2018 SQ5 Fake Exhaust...Option?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 SQ5 Fake Exhaust...Option?

Hello All -

Yes, I know it's a sensitive topic (some hate them, some like them due to cleaning or aren't bothered by the appearance at all). Personally, I would preferred a real exhaust tip on a S model, but to each there own. I'm not looking to start an argument over what's better, but as I thought about it I believe personally I'm less concerned with exhaust being 'fake' than just how 'fake' it looks (had they done a better job on the bumper design/exhaust outlet design maybe it wouldn't bother me personally as much).

With that, I had (what I thought) was an interesting thought. Has anyone considered wrapping/tinting the bar BETWEEN the outlets (so the outlets only are polished/chrome)? I'm wondering if it wouldn't look more authentic. Maybe it would look awful (do to the line of the inside tip), who knows.

Trying to add a picture for reference...but the forum isn't allowing it for some reason.

Thanks,
tgt
Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an attempt to sell myself on the rear, I played around with some photo editing to black out different parts of the fake exhaust strips. I also tried to apply a smoke filter to the tail lights to see what that looks like. If I remember, I can add some photos when I get home.

Either way you cut the cheese, the "exhaust" looks silly and I'd rather there be nothing over some cheesy chrome strips. I'm hoping with fingers and toes crossed that either:

1. Audi fixes the mistake in future model years or offers an RS exhaust option should an RSQ5 ever come about

2. Aftermarket comes up with a solution; eagerly awaiting the AWE offering but I'm assuming it will be sound only and no fascia changes

​​​​​​​I'm not holding my breath however, both of these seem unlikely.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:29 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The fake exhaust tips don’t bother me in the least. I care about performance and functionality far more than “the way it should be or always has been” as well as “vanity and ego”. Besides, from 6 feet away... nobody knows (or cares).
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWE claims they're currently researching options.
AWE Tuning MKII Audi SQ5 3.0T Exhaust Suite | AWE Tuning
Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
The fake exhaust tips don’t bother me in the least. I care about performance and functionality far more than “the way it should be or always has been” as well as “vanity and ego”. Besides, from 6 feet away... nobody knows (or cares).
+1. Get over it already. Go buy something else. The SQ5 Look and Performance are Outstanding!!!

Last edited by browns_d02; 11-16-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think we should all drive to the headquarters of Audi USA and personally demand they fix this human travesty right now! This is serious! End this now! Regards. Ned.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Ned,

I am hopeful AudiUSA (and Audi AG) reads these posts:

Dear Audi,
Regarding the fake exhaust holes/tips on an SQ5 (at nearly $65K): WHAT IN THE WIDE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS WERE YOU THINKING?!?
Respectfully,
Mark
The following users liked this post:
ELDURONYC (04-22-2022)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Ned,

I am hopeful AudiUSA (and Audi AG) reads these posts:

Dear Audi,
Regarding the fake exhaust holes/tips on an SQ5 (at nearly $65K): WHAT IN THE WIDE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS WERE YOU THINKING?!?
Respectfully,
Mark
Well said
Old 11-16-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So I went to Mercedes today to look at the GLC 43 (and several of their other crossover/suvs). Most of them ALSO had fake tips. The only difference is they cut a hole in them and shoot the tailpipe towards them instead of down. It's quite hilarious actually. People pretend this is an Audi only thing, don't let them fool you. Mercedes is also doing it.
The following users liked this post:
ELDURONYC (04-22-2022)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua (wishbone)
So I went to Mercedes today to look at the GLC 43 (and several of their other crossover/suvs). Most of them ALSO had fake tips. The only difference is they cut a hole in them and shoot the tailpipe towards them instead of down. It's quite hilarious actually. People pretend this is an Audi only thing, don't let them fool you. Mercedes is also doing it.
Fake exhaust tips that don't actually connect to the exhaust pipes have been around for a while.

What bothers me is that these new 'tips' aren't even real metal. They're solid plastic moldings in the rear bumper that don't even allow exhaust to pass through...

I'm waiting for the Black Optics package to become available as I'm hoping it'll black out the plastic exhaust moldings for a cleaner look:

https://goo.gl/images/gHXEJf vs https://goo.gl/images/4j4i9h

Last edited by EMpunker; 11-16-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Fake Exhaust...Option?