Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 vs 2017 CPO Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 SQ5 vs 2017 CPO Macan S

I'm curious to know opinions towards the purchase of a 2017 low mileage (9,000) CPO Macan S (specs below) vs a new 2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige pkg. Both vehicles are similarly priced after negotiated discounts. My initial impressions are that the Macan is the better handling vehicle, while the complete package in the SQ5 is troubling to pass on. Please share your thoughts.

OPTIONS INCLUDE
1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
3Y4 Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
5MH Carbon Fiber Interior Package
6FB SportDesign Side Mirrors
6H1 Side Blades in Exterior Color
7UG Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
7Y7 Lane Departure Warning (LDW) with Lane Change Assist (LCA)
9JB Smoking Package
CY3 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
IV1 Connect Plus
PJ7 Premium Package Plus
QJ4 Window Trim in Black (High-Gloss)
VC Standard Interior in Black
Resale - $60,000
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc4008
I'm curious to know opinions towards the purchase of a 2017 low mileage (9,000) CPO Macan S (specs below) vs a new 2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige pkg. Both vehicles are similarly priced after negotiated discounts. My initial impressions are that the Macan is the better handling vehicle, while the complete package in the SQ5 is troubling to pass on. Please share your thoughts.

OPTIONS INCLUDE
9JB Smoking Package
IV1 Connect Plus
PJ7 Premium Package Plus
Resale - $60,000
The Macan s probably has a more responsive drivetrain and handles a little bit better, otherwise the sq Prestige is a better package in all other ways, nicer interior, more comfortable suspension, a bit newer tech. The Porsche is made in Germany while the sq is made in a new factory in Mexico, I guess something to consider. If you want the Porsche, I would think you could push really hard on price given the far better value of the sq, they really can’t badmouth Audi after all. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc4008

OPTIONS INCLUDE
9JB Smoking Package
IV1 Connect Plus
PJ7 Premium Package Plus
Resale - $60,000
A few observations and opinions as both a Porsche and Audi SQ5 owner. When we were faced with the same decision as you, we chose the SQ5. Comparing a highly optioned Audi Prestige SQ5 which is what we bought to the CPO Macan S above, you are missing a higher tech interior/Nav system, 21" wheels, a bigger cargo space, PASM/Air Suspension, Porsche Torque Vectoring, and Porsche Adaptive Cruise Control that will come as equivalent features on the similarly priced SQ5. I could probably live without the Air Suspension, but would miss PASM ALOT. I have Sport (S)PASM on my 911 and just love the stance and the suspension feel. I had the base suspension on my prior Porsche which I had to address via aftermarket suspension upgrades - I hated it that much. I also love the 21" wheels on the Audi over the Macan S's 20's. I have 20's on my 911, they don't belong on an SUV :-)

The 1st Gen Macan is still a driver's car, more so than the Audi SQ5. But 'much' more so? Nah. The Audi is no track monster, but I seriously doubt you'll be tracking the Macan either, so that shouldn't be a deal breaker as you 'sportingly' drive it to the supermarket. The interior of the Macan is tired. It will get refreshed in 2019 and will look a lot like the new Cayenne inside which I really like. If it was 2019, I'd have a more difficult decision to make - but even in 2019, you'd not be able to buy a .2 Macan S for the same price as the current Audi SQ5. The street performance feel of the Macan simply wasn't enough to convince me to buy a CPO S/GTS/Turbo over the new Audi SQ5.

Reliability? Mexican manufacturing plant? Are these negatives? I don't think so. No one will know for a few years about reliability of the new vehicle. but we had a 2010 Q5 and it was a bullet proof vehicle. I've also owned Mexican built VWs and they were great as well. So far we've put 1500 miles on the new SQ5 and the fit/finish has been great. My SQ5 was built on 8/21/17, nearly a year after production began in Mexico. Love the SQ5 so far, and don't regret the decision buying it over a CPO Macan.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you value a driver's car above all else, the Macan S wins. If you value the whole package, the SQ5 wins.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're gonna get the Macan at least till next year when they refresh the model. At least then it won't look so dated.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
If you value a driver's car above all else, the Macan S wins. If you value the whole package, the SQ5 wins.
+1. Succinctly put. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
If you're gonna get the Macan at least till next year when they refresh the model. At least then it won't look so dated.
Not sure a refresh will do enough to get you close enough to the sq. They would need to redo the interior completely to be competitive with sq, don’t think they’ll go that far on a refresh. I think Audi put Porsche in a tough situation on the cycle timing of sq. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Not sure a refresh will do enough to get you close enough to the sq. They would need to redo the interior completely to be competitive with sq, don’t think they’ll go that far on a refresh. I think Audi put Porsche in a tough situation on the cycle timing of sq. Regards. Ned.
Disagree. The new interior of the Macan will easily on par with the SQ5 - attached is the new Cayenne which looks stunning. The price however for the .2 Macan, will not be.

Last edited by daberlin; 11-14-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by daberlin
Disagree. The new interior of the Macan will easily on par with the SQ5 - attached is the new Cayenne which looks stunning. The price however for the .2 Macan, will not be.

Is that a refresh of the Cayenne or the complete redo, as in New Panamara? Hope youre right, the more comp in the segment the better. My experience is more historically with Mercedes and they don’t do interior makeovers in refresh typically. Regards. Ned.

Last edited by Ngerstman; 11-14-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Is that a refresh of the Cayenne or the complete redo, as in New Panamara? Hope youre right, the more comp in the segment the better. My experience is more historically with Mercedes and they don’t do interior makeovers in refresh typically. Regards. Ned.
Complete redo as in the New Panny and the interior is stunning. I think people will have issue with the finger prints marking up the center dash (as they do in the Merc), but nothing a quick wipe can't resolve.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 vs 2017 CPO Macan S