Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2019 Q5 - radar detector fuse box tap

Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q5 - radar detector fuse box tap

I cannot figure out how to remove the rear view mirror without breaking anything for my mirror tap (Also saw some pics related to this where you need to drill a hole to run the cable out) so I finally settled it with the fuse box tap via the driver side fuse box next to the dashboard.
Per the manual, I taped to the fuse #4 - headup display. But for some reasons, the port is always hot even I switch the engine off and turn on the security. Did i do anything wrong? Any other port in the driverside fuse box that I can use? Of course, I hope to tap to the fuse where it will turn on/off with the engine ignition.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Apparently all the fuses on the driver's side are hot all the time. You need to go to the fuse box under the dead pedal to find switched fuses. I plan to get power for the dash cam by the rear view mirror, but I share your concern in not wanting to break anything. So I'm still looking for some information on exactly where the clips are situated to get the overhead panel off. I warmed up a bit this weekend doing the same thing on a friend's F-350...
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Throw a trim tool between the plastic trim and the headliner and pry it straight down. There's 2 clips under there. Once those are out, the main piece slides out pretty easily.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Breeze
Apparently all the fuses on the driver's side are hot all the time. You need to go to the fuse box under the dead pedal to find switched fuses. I plan to get power for the dash cam by the rear view mirror, but I share your concern in not wanting to break anything. So I'm still looking for some information on exactly where the clips are situated to get the overhead panel off. I warmed up a bit this weekend doing the same thing on a friend's F-350...
I can run the cable down to the foot well but do you know which fuse should i tap to? my logic is to pick those non-core function module such as butt warmer but not sure if it will be hot all the time like the headup display one. I don't follow the logic here because when I switched it off my car, the headup display is the first thing it goes down. I supposed, the fuse tap will follow, no?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It was a few weeks ago when I looked, but I recall there was a 5A fuse in the middle section and, as you say, it wasn't tied to any major function in the car. As you say, good to find a non-critical circuit to tap into.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chawski
Throw a trim tool between the plastic trim and the headliner and pry it straight down. There's 2 clips under there. Once those are out, the main piece slides out pretty easily.

Super, thanks!!! BTW, are the two clips on the side, midway? I prefer to pry with my trim tools where the clips are located.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Breeze
Super, thanks!!! BTW, are the two clips on the side, midway? I prefer to pry with my trim tools where the clips are located.
I found this from the forum. I tried, it is super-hard to get it down.
If you happen to get it done, please share pictures and how you tap to the source.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2930169/page2/
Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I never had a trim removal tool and I wonder if you have a picture to show what you used?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't have a pic handy but go to any auto parts store or harbor freight. They're a set of plastic tools. I used one that's flat and bent 45 deg

I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow if you can't finf them
Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't have a pic handy but go to any auto parts store or harbor freight. They're a set of plastic tools. I used one that's flat and bent 45 deg

I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow if you can't finf them
OK. Thank you. I saw it over at amazon and will pick one up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Q5 - radar detector fuse box tap