Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2019 Q5 and SQ5 with tow hitch not available

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edwyun
That may be a solution but only if AOA pays the dealer for the install once the software is available. Any idea on that?
We obtained written statements on both a service order and the sale paperwork that they will provide the hitch and complete the install when ready. I would highly recommend having it documented. Also, it is listed as an installed option on the vehicle order and paperwork but it currently has NO hitch, so should be obvious that Audi would be responsible for this. But, again, I would get a statement in writing that this will be done prior to finalizing the sale paperwork.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by michel-usa
Surprisingly this was not part of the options proposed by the Dealer or by Audi customer support. The only options were either completely drop the option or wait for an unknown date, with nothing in between. Not being able to come up with something close to what you got, like "we'll deliver the car at this MM/DD date and we'll cover the towing package installation and the coding by this timeframe at the dealership" by themself seems quite strange. On my side, since the hardware seems to be already installed, I asked why they would not deliver the car as is, requiring strong legal paperwork to be signed, notifying that the towing features should not and could not be used at all, with full disclaimer and all the legal stuff, but that went nowhere.

Since then, to even consider any option with the 'incomplete' car, I have asked several times, what would then be the expected delivery time frame, but this also seems to be impossible to get, as this could apparently only be planned after the removal of the already installed hardware.
I would keep trying. It is possible that our dealer "removed" the option completely somehow in order to take care of us, and are going to either eat the cost of the install labor or have made an arrangement with Audi (I really didn't care), but I do know we are covered and will eventually have the hitch. They have gone above and beyond for us throughout our delay including giving us a new Q5 to drive for 5 months while waiting for our delayed order. If you want the vehicle now you might just need to put some additional pressure on your dealer. Who knows, maybe they will agree to remove the hitch until the software fix is complete?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Finally got the car yesterday, of course without the towing package. It will be installed at a later date, when the current issues would be resolved.

2015 vs 2019
Old 02-10-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Seems crazy all these "software issues" that go on unresolved for months. My new R8 doesn't have CarPlay....because it doesn't switch from CarPlay to the reverse camera in under 2 seconds (as required by law). So a key standard feature I paid for has been disabled since delivery. 3 months to fix this software glitch...and nothing. Doesn't Audi see they are hurting their reputation with some of their most valued and enthusiastic customers?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several weeks ago, my SQ5 was at port waiting for the hitch and software upgrade before being sent to my dealership. Given the delays and this therad, I told my dealer to have the SQ5 delivered without the hitch and software upgrade. My dealer confirmed that it would be installed when available at AoA's cost. Now, the SQ5 is ready for pickup but apparently has the hitch and software upgrade installed already!

I'll believe it when I see it in person. What about you all?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Still waiting on my hitch package.

I ordered a SQ5 Dec 10th 2018 with the hitch option, Dealer said nothing about any issues and gave me a March 10th 2019 delivery date. Fast forward to now, car has been built as of Feb 23 and en route to port. Dealer has finally fessed up to know about a hitch delay, He is now saying April 10th to the 24th.

I had a S4 before that i loved but this is my first dealings ordering a car from them and its not impressing me. I am currently deployed/working overseas and was due home in time to pick up the car but now i'll be back overseas again right after i pick it up so no time to enjoy it. Has anyone been able to get any hitch delay updates since my Dealer isn't being very forthcoming on any sort of delivery dates? Is it worth the delay or should i wait for the 2020 models at this point?

Thanks!
New User Jesse
Old 03-01-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Me too

I specifically wanted a factory installed hitch on my 2019 Q5 and placed an order for one late Jan 2019 with an ETA-delivery early March. First week of Feb I was told the delivery would be sooner, around end of the month. 2 days later was told that the vehicle was available Feb 12! Day before delivery I was told that some "coding issues" were at play regarding bumper and hitch. On delivery I was told that the vehicle was shipped without the hitch but that the dealer would order one and have it installed "really soon". After 2 weeks and no word from dealer I start making calls and was informed of this software issue and that there was no ETA for resolution. Dealer sold me a vehicle knowing the hitch wasn't available. Not a sterling move. So what now? I need that hitch. How long are we supposed to wait patiently for a resolution?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First post from a prospective but annoyed buyer sitting in the queue. The entire 2019 Q5/SQ5 model year rollout has been incredibly frustrating and greatly reduced my confidence in Audi after it had been built back up from earlier debacles. My wife and I have been enjoying a 2015 Q5 (3.0T) for 3 years - problem-free so far, knock on wood - and I was excited at the prospect of replacing our other car (not an Audi) with a B9 SQ5 (with a tow hitch). I purposely waited for the 2019's, allowing Audi ample time to work through typical first-year teething problems. I originally expected to get a car in the Fall - for various personal timing reasons, including the lower interest rates that have since evaporated - only to watch the 2019 launch slip to December; And then to discover belatedly that vehicles with a tow hitch were delayed further and indefinitely. The lack of forthright and transparent communication from both Audi USA and the dealers has been quite annoying and has made it impossible to plan. I know Audi management has said that they are "working on" a solution, but as far as I'm aware they have not actually committed to one, let alone promised a firm date. Even more disconcerting is the realization that the complexity of their technology is getting away from them - they don't have a handle on it. You wouldn't have expected the supposedly minor 2018/2019 transition to throw them so far off their game, and that's worrisome.
I do have a loaded SQ5 Prestige on order for April delivery and still have no confidence that it will appear in that time frame or that it will have the (mandatory for me) tow hitch when it does. A bigger concern is that Audi may at this point decide to forego the tow hitch entirely for the 2019 model year. Not only would that be disappointing as a major feature loss, but in my view it would devalue the entire 2019 model year vs 2018 or 2020. That would deter me from even considering a tow-hitch-less 2019 SQ5. And who knows when the 2020 model year will start, given the late 2019 release, or what new design changes and problems will arrive with it.
Despite having sold myself on the SQ5, I'm already starting to reevaluate alternatives. The competition has not been standing still. I'll give Audi to the end of March to restore my confidence and then, with real disappointment, I'm moving on.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyhound
The lack of forthright and transparent communication from both Audi USA and the dealers has been quite annoying and has made it impossible to plan. I know Audi management has said that they are "working on" a solution, but as far as I'm aware they have not actually committed to one, let alone promised a firm date. Even more disconcerting is the realization that the complexity of their technology is getting away from them - they don't have a handle on it. You wouldn't have expected the supposedly minor 2018/2019 transition to throw them so far off their game, and that's worrisome.
I do have a loaded SQ5 Prestige on order for April delivery and still have no confidence that it will appear in that time frame or that it will have the (mandatory for me) tow hitch when it does.
This reminds me of the Camera / Graphic View bug that took over a year for Audi to fix. Same "working on it" generic response without transparency or an effort to give a real time frame - or even a declared commitment to a fix. I don't blame you for not trusting in a timely solution. That said, it is an excellent vehicle and worth the minor inconveniences for me. But for those of you for whom a hitch is immediately critical, it is Audi's loss.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

"This reminds me of the Camera / Graphic View bug that took over a year for Audi to fix." Well, yeah, we share a common opinion about Audi's transparency and the time it took them to fix the problem, but that bug is more tolerable as an inconvenience for some period of time, while lack of a tow hitch is a permanent show-stopper if you really want/need one and they never provide it. And I see that you actually got a tow hitch on your '18 (I'm jealous). I'd be happy and take delivery if Audi just made a firm commitment to resolving the tow hitch problem and said "we'll deliver your car now without the tow hitch but we will have a fix by May 15 and we will install the tow hitch within 90 days after that at the original price." But I haven't heard that. And I can't say that I would trust the same statement from the dealer level without Audi corporate backing (in writing), no matter how sincere the intention.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q5 and SQ5 with tow hitch not available