Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2019 Q5 Trim Level Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q5 Trim Level Questions

Hello:
I'm looking to purchase my first Audi - a Q5. I've narrowed it down to the Premium Plus or Prestige trim levels. I like some of the tech assist features of the Prestige package but not sure I need them. I don't commute to work so congestion is minimal, live out in the burbs so park assist isn't needed much either. I like the heads-up display and top-view cameras but not sure they are worth the $4K price tag. Also, both trims offer 20" wheels. They look nice but I'm told they have an effect on the ride and handling. My wife and I are in our 60's so we want a safe car that handles and drives well.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mpt1123
Hello:
I'm looking to purchase my first Audi - a Q5. I've narrowed it down to the Premium Plus or Prestige trim levels. I like some of the tech assist features of the Prestige package but not sure I need them. I don't commute to work so congestion is minimal, live out in the burbs so park assist isn't needed much either. I like the heads-up display and top-view cameras but not sure they are worth the $4K price tag. Also, both trims offer 20" wheels. They look nice but I'm told they have an effect on the ride and handling. My wife and I are in our 60's so we want a safe car that handles and drives well.
Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the board! It's going to come down to if you like tech features or not. I bought my Q5 in July 2018 and wouldn't look at any models aside from Prestige as I LOVE the features. The cameras are awesome, I appreciate the Driver Assist features, and (I'm unsure if these are standard on Prestige), I love the B&O sound system and panoramic sunroof. I drive about 40 miles/day and have the 20" tires and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The virtual dashboard is also awesome but again, that's something you may not particularly care for. Drive both types and see if you could live without some of the Prestige features......I appreciate them.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

We ordered a Q5 Prestige with 19" wheels (more forgiving on potholes). Didn't like the appearance/design of the 20".
From our A4, adaptive cruise is great and works well, the lane keeping assist is helpful. These were features we didn't want to give up.
We pick it up tomorrow!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

It will largely come down to the tech features. The ride quality between the 19 and 20 is virtually inperceivable. Tire cost will be slightly higher with the 20, but doubtful it’s significant.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

My wife and I are in our 60's so we want a safe car that handles and drives well.
Thanks.
Subaru Outback
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:
Thanks.
Nothing quite tells the tale than driving them. If you can, make the time to drive both trim levels. You and your wife should try parking into spaces or garage confines, especially next to another parked car to see if the top down camera view is helpful and worth it. Being squared away in a space or appropriate distances from obstructions should be apparent (I love it). Jumping up to the Prestige level also have dual plane glass (makes interior quieter at speed). The Band Olufsen radio DOES sound very nice if you like music a a lot and want to have the sound equalization feature. Take some music (maybe something on a thumb drive) and plug it into the Audi listen to your music. Only your ears can tell you if it's worth it. (I love mine). 20" wheels? No big deal to me as I have 21" wheels and I find my Audi rides smoothly (maybe due to SQ5 air suspensions). Find some ruts or rough road and drive through them...But really, only you can tell if 20" rides good enough for you.
I'm a car enthusiast and have had many, many cars in the past with only 1 or 2 regrets. Those regrets were usually not personally knowing enough about the car nor test driving enough. Please take your time.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
I'm a car enthusiast and have had many, many cars in the past with only 1 or 2 regrets. Those regrets were usually not personally knowing enough about the car nor test driving enough. Please take your time.
This was a great reply. I've loved my previous cars (most recently a 2012 Infiniti G37x), but the Q5 is my absolute favorite. From the tech to the 20" wheels to the B&O sound to you name it, I love it.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I had 20" on my previous generation Q5 and 20" on my current SQ5. The ride is pretty compliant and I don't find it to be very harsh.

Only you can answer the question about premium+ vs. prestige. If you are leasing, just be aware that there is a 1% residual penalty on prestige.This is why dealers like to stock fully loaded premium+ instead of prestige - even if they have the same MSRP and you negotiate the same discount, the premium+ is still going to be a little cheaper per month.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
I had 20" on my previous generation Q5 and 20" on my current SQ5. The ride is pretty compliant and I don't find it to be very harsh.

Only you can answer the question about premium+ vs. prestige. If you are leasing, just be aware that there is a 1% residual penalty on prestige.This is why dealers like to stock fully loaded premium+ instead of prestige - even if they have the same MSRP and you negotiate the same discount, the premium+ is still going to be a little cheaper per month.
its actually even more than that, as residual differences on a Q5 are 3% in favor of the Premium/Premium Plus vs Prestige (same for An SQ5)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
If you are leasing, just be aware that there is a 1% residual penalty on prestige
Note, You can get that 1% back by getting AudiCare.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q5 Trim Level Questions