Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2019 SQ5 vs 2017 Cayenne S CPO

Old 06-06-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 SQ5 vs 2017 Cayenne S CPO

Looking to “commit” for 6-7 years and curious to see what others folks think. Same price same warranty (with Porsche CPO), Macan is too small in the back and not really the SQ5 equivalent in my opinion. Cayenne S is bigger and heavier but the engine power sort of make up for it vs. SQ5. SQ5 feels more nimble but a bit lifeless, Cayenne S has more steering life but feels a bit heavier.
Main use of the car is hauling spouse and two teenagers, ski trips and weekly long commutes (400 highway miles each way once a week). 95% of the time it is highway, stop and go city and driving and mostly straight lines unfortunately. Very poor road conditions here in a Quebec. Occasionally twisty mountain roads for a bit font fun but that’s 5% of the time.
Cost of ownership matters but not as much as fun and reliability. Favorite car feel is BMW E90 steering if that shed some lights.
Any opinions? Feel free to point me to similar threads as well.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been in the same boat considering a trade for my 18 SQ5 for a cayenne s or hybrid, as both seem to be going used around the same price. I originally wanted a cayenne but they were slim pickins cpo at the time and new is more than I'm willing to spend right now. I guess since the face lift came out, the last gens are popping up more for cpo

I agree, I wanted to love the macan and it was just too small with a newborn and all that comes with a newborn haha
Old 06-07-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Get the SQ5 and add JB4. That ought to wake up the car and make it more driveable.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by calbear92
Get the SQ5 and add JB4. That ought to wake up the car and make it more driveable.
+1 Great combo. My SQ5 + JB4 will match a BMW 340 in a rolling start to 110MPH race.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own an SQ5 as my daily driver and have a 2016 BMW X5 as my long haul SUV. I plan to replace my X5 next year with a CPO Cayenne S or GTS as our long haul SUV. To your points, I'd like to share my experiences. If your main use is to haul around spouse and teenagers, you might find the extra interior room in the Cayenne more comfortable (as I do the X5 which is similar sized to the Cayenne). If practicality on long hauls is important, the Cayenne has a larger gas tank, and again the extra room for passengers. Poor road conditions? Then try to get the air suspension option with either car. My X5 and SQ5 both have it and its a dream ride on rough roads. Of course on the Cayenne and Audi with air suspension, you can switch over to "sport" mode to resume a firmer ride when wanted. Fun and reliabilty? Fun is subjective (as is ride and comfort). The SQ5, in "dynamic" mode and with sport differential is more nimble than my X5 (and partly due to size). I suspect the Cayenne S (or GTS) to handle as well in "sport" mode.
For a 6-7 year commitment, however, I'd personally spend a lot of time driving each car (with full load of passengers) if possible. Only you and your family can tell if it feels right. Reliability? Both are German cars so some dissapointments to be expected over the long haul ( they're not Lexus's). I've had 2 Lexus in the past and everything they say is true (Zero problems but Zero personality).
You mentioned cost of ownership. Same for both...They're both German cars and do need their premium fuel, synthetic oil, and scheduled maintenance. While reliability and maintenance are not the end of the world (like an Alfa, Maseratti, Fiat, Jeep), its just something you have to plan for (pay to play) I've had about a dozen BMW Audis in the past with no regrets but I've never driven them much beyond the warranty period. 6-7 years? Try ti get the longest extended warranty you can. ...Good Luck!