Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

21" Perrelli Scorpions in the Snow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 21" Perrelli Scorpions in the Snow...

... Have to say, the 2018 SQ5 with the 21" wheels, changing the rubber between the Summers to the Winters (Perrelli Scorpions) at first made me hesitant. But I've driven them in 3 storms, unplowed and barely plowed conditions. Car is a snow mobile and the level of control and predictability it is providing just makes me remember why this is my 4th Audi.

Only downside is they weren't cheap but less than buying new wheels.

On a side note... damn that heated steering wheel can get super toasty!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know where you are located, but summer tires (as opposed to AS tires) simply are dangerous to ride on below about 40 degrees F. The rubber just gets too hard to be safe. I've said it before - in other forums - snow tires can make a world of difference in handling and safety in those winter conditions. It's a worthy investment.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I don't know where you are located, but summer tires (as opposed to AS tires) simply are dangerous to ride on below about 40 degrees F. The rubber just gets too hard to be safe. I've said it before - in other forums - snow tires can make a world of difference in handling and safety in those winter conditions. It's a worthy investment.
His post is confusing, but it seems like he's running winter tires.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, I think the Scorpions are all-seasons with M+S rating, not winter tires. But I agree, quattro with decent all-season tires is already fantastic in snow as long as you know your limits. In my Audis, I carry a set of cable chains for places in the CA mountains where I am required to have them, but I have never actually had to mount them either for self-rescue nor to please the rangers. Usually the conditions proceed directly from chains required (4x4 with snow-rating excused) to road closed.

Only once in 30 years, I saw chains required for all, when I was a young passenger in a Landcruiser in Yosemite. I remember that this was during a storm in an El Nino winter in the 80s, when they had to use the big impeller snow plows that look more like a tunnel boring machine, with the road walled in by vertical snow banks taller than tour buses. But I am always just an occasional mountain visitor. I suppose if I lived there through whole winters, this might seem more common...
Old 01-17-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scorpion Winter is a winter tire and is quite good. I had them on my '14 SQ5 in 19" and on my '18 SQ5 in 20". Perfect balance of wet/dry/performance/snow for a vehicle this big and heavy. I'm jealous of that heated steering wheel though!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
His post is confusing, but it seems like he's running winter tires.
I am, I decided rather than buying smaller wheels with winter tires, to instead swap rubber twice a year.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester7677
I am, I decided rather than buying smaller wheels with winter tires, to instead swap rubber twice a year.
I would price that out. Tire changes cost enough at the dealer, that it only takes a couple years and you would have paid for a set of wheels.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by augerpro
I would price that out. Tire changes cost enough at the dealer, that it only takes a couple years and you would have paid for a set of wheels.

Agree and add to that the lower price, better snow performance of smaller tires and less risk to actual wheel and tire damage and it may make more sense, or at least (unless it's too late) something to consider.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Transfer
Scorpion Winter is a winter tire and is quite good.
Ah, I didn't realize "scorpion" was applied across many tire models. I was thinking of "Scorpion Verde" which are OEM all-season tires on some Audi SUVs.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by augerpro
I don't go to the dealer for anything if I can avoid it. Change over costs $140 with balance.

Not the point really, just thrilled on how well it went through the snow. This is my first Audi SUV, past have been S4's and a short lived TTS. Just didn't have enough use for the TTS and I was driving like an idiot.

Quick Reply: 21" Perrelli Scorpions in the Snow...