21" wheels: 2nd Tire replacement 6 months in! - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page >

21" wheels: 2nd Tire replacement 6 months in!

Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

21" wheels: 2nd Tire replacement 6 months in!

Old 10-06-2018, 01:31 PM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 31
Default 21" wheels: 2nd Tire replacement 6 months in!

I have the 21" Pirellis and had to replace one tire 3 months in from a nail and then today I noticed a sidewall bubble in another tire. At $315 a pop, I am getting pretty depressed replacing these things so frequently. Not to mention, the tread life is crappy anyways so I was expecting to replace at 15-20k. Just needed to vent!
Parallax is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM
  #2  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Default

What you don't see from Audi when you are considering the 21" wheel package in the USA is:
1. The tires are "Y" rated Pirelli P Zero Tires and per the fine print brochure in the delivered car...
a - P Zeros have no treadwear warranty
b - P Zero Summers should not to be used below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (tire damage and surface cracks are not covered by the warranty when these happen at temperatures below 45 - even if this happens in storage - no cold storage for these delicate flowers )
c - P Zeros are prohibited from being repaired (They are Y rated - hopefully no shop sticks to this)"PIRELLI PROHIBITS THE FOLLOWING FOR SAFETY REASONS:1) The use of aftermarket tire sealants in Pirelli tires to repair, even temporarily, a puncture; 2) The repairing of V, W, Y or Z Speed Rated tires;"d - Because they are on an all wheel drive vehicle - if you get a nail/screw puncture in one tire and you follow manufacturer requirements - you have to fork over north of $1,300 for new tires!
"On all wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicles the tires must always be replaced in sets of four."The above info is from the tire brochure that is delivered with the vehicle - not the Audi website where you may look for information about options before purchasing.
I feel a bit cheated by Audi's omission of information - Audi doesn't make this info available. I've never bought a new vehicle with tires that aren't supposed to be repaired or used under 45d F (really impractical when you live in Alaska). Our local dealer gets very few SQ5s each month and I never saw one on the lot when I was shopping - I ended up purchasing sight unseen based on available info from AudiUSA.com.
I'll get what mileage I can from the PZeros but then it's on to something that is repairable - maybe the Pirelli[color=left=#222222] scorpion verde all season, 265/40/21[/color] if they are repairable (in the eyes of the manufacturer) and they work out well for Heat00 and shtaka
StickyAK is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 PM
  #3  
TYJ
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 151
Default

Buy a set of Audi Q5 20 rims and tires and move forward. Great ride quality and lots of high quality choices for all seasons.
TYJ is offline  
Old 10-06-2018, 09:19 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Posts: 110
Default

Originally Posted by StickyAK View Post
What you don't see from Audi when you are considering the 21" wheel package in the USA is:
1. The tires are "Y" rated Pirelli P Zero Tires and per the fine print brochure in the delivered car...
a - P Zeros have no treadwear warranty
b - P Zero Summers should not to be used below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (tire damage and surface cracks are not covered by the warranty when these happen at temperatures below 45 - even if this happens in storage - no cold storage for these delicate flowers )
c - P Zeros are prohibited from being repaired (They are Y rated - hopefully no shop sticks to this)"PIRELLI PROHIBITS THE FOLLOWING FOR SAFETY REASONS:1) The use of aftermarket tire sealants in Pirelli tires to repair, even temporarily, a puncture; 2) The repairing of V, W, Y or Z Speed Rated tires;"d - Because they are on an all wheel drive vehicle - if you get a nail/screw puncture in one tire and you follow manufacturer requirements - you have to fork over north of $1,300 for new tires!
"On all wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicles the tires must always be replaced in sets of four."The above info is from the tire brochure that is delivered with the vehicle - not the Audi website where you may look for information about options before purchasing.
I feel a bit cheated by Audi's omission of information - Audi doesn't make this info available. I've never bought a new vehicle with tires that aren't supposed to be repaired or used under 45d F (really impractical when you live in Alaska). Our local dealer gets very few SQ5s each month and I never saw one on the lot when I was shopping - I ended up purchasing sightnseen based on available info from AudiUSA.com.
I'll get what mileage I can from the PZeros but then it's on to something that is repairable - maybe the Pirelli[color=left=#222222] scorpion verde all season, 265/40/21[/color] if they are repairable (in the eyes of the manufacturer) and they work out well for Heat00 and shtaka
Thanks for that information, I had the Pirelli scorpion verde A/S on a new loaner Q5 from my dealer and they were quiet and great at gripping the road in dry and wet. I will get those when my OEM Conti's are worn.

katzjamr is offline  
Old 10-07-2018, 03:30 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: rhodeisland
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by katzjamr View Post
Thanks for that information, I had the Pirelli scorpion verde A/S on a new loaner Q5 from my dealer and they were quiet and great at gripping the road in dry and wet. I will get those when my OEM Conti's are worn.
You might want to also check out the Michelin Premier LTX. They are Audi AO and come in 18's, 19's and 20's. Had them on my in 18's on the Q5, and had the dealer change out the Contis on my SQ to the Michelins. Superb A/S tires. Went thru all last winter in the northeast and nary a problem. Tire Rack website ranks them very high, and having had the same Contis on a Subuaru which I also switched out to the Round Rubber Man, I would agree with their ranking.
Jes sayin'......
ronsal is offline  
Old 10-08-2018, 08:31 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 282
Default

Originally Posted by StickyAK View Post
What you don't see from Audi when you are considering the 21" wheel package in the USA is:
1. The tires are "Y" rated Pirelli P Zero Tires and per the fine print brochure in the delivered car...
a - P Zeros have no treadwear warranty
b - P Zero Summers should not to be used below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (tire damage and surface cracks are not covered by the warranty when these happen at temperatures below 45 - even if this happens in storage - no cold storage for these delicate flowers )
c - P Zeros are prohibited from being repaired (They are Y rated - hopefully no shop sticks to this)"PIRELLI PROHIBITS THE FOLLOWING FOR SAFETY REASONS:1) The use of aftermarket tire sealants in Pirelli tires to repair, even temporarily, a puncture; 2) The repairing of V, W, Y or Z Speed Rated tires;"d - Because they are on an all wheel drive vehicle - if you get a nail/screw puncture in one tire and you follow manufacturer requirements - you have to fork over north of $1,300 for new tires!
"On all wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicles the tires must always be replaced in sets of four."The above info is from the tire brochure that is delivered with the vehicle - not the Audi website where you may look for information about options before purchasing.
I feel a bit cheated by Audi's omission of information - Audi doesn't make this info available. I've never bought a new vehicle with tires that aren't supposed to be repaired or used under 45d F (really impractical when you live in Alaska). Our local dealer gets very few SQ5s each month and I never saw one on the lot when I was shopping - I ended up purchasing sight unseen based on available info from AudiUSA.com.
I'll get what mileage I can from the PZeros but then it's on to something that is repairable - maybe the Pirelli[color=left=#222222] scorpion verde all season, 265/40/21[/color] if they are repairable (in the eyes of the manufacturer) and they work out well for Heat00 and shtaka
You can also get your new tire tread shaved to match the tread depth of the other 3 undamaged tires, which seems like a waste of a new tire, but much better than replacing 3 usable tires for no reason.
This is also why, despite never buying extended warranties on pretty much everything else in the world, I always buy my tires from Discount Tire, and I get the road hazard certificates, because I have saved so much money getting free tire replacements on multiple irreparable tires in the past.
chingwodapigu is offline  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:50 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 385
Default

The 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde on my SQ are excluded also from tread-ware warranty, per the brochure in the glovie. i'll be lucky to get about 15K out of them. I had one go because of nail in sidewall and was $315 and 1 week wait time from DT.

I'll be going to Michelin AS soon-ish.

YMMV.
Cabal_san is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 03:16 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 91
Default

does anyone know what tires manufacturers provide factory tires for the q5 ?
and are they the same manufacturers for either the 18,19, and 20 inch ?

or do specific sizes also get specific brands ?
also does trim level factor into tire brand ?

my 2018 prem plus q5 came with 19 inch wheel package and continentals.
pal joey is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: rhodeisland
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by pal joey View Post
does anyone know what tires manufacturers provide factory tires for the q5 ?
and are they the same manufacturers for either the 18,19, and 20 inch ?

or do specific sizes also get specific brands ?
also does trim level factor into tire brand ?

my 2018 prem plus q5 came with 19 inch wheel package and continentals.
I know that the Michelin Premier LTX come in 18, 19 & 20 for the car - all with the AO designation and all used from the factory. There are also Contis and Pirelli's in each size with AO designation. You might want to go to Tire Rack, plug in the 3 sizes and go through their list looking for tires w/AO designation from those 3 manufacturers. I think there might be mixed in there, some tires W/AO that do not come standard but that have Audi's "stamp of approval."
ronsal is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 04:19 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 91
Default

good tip...i forgot all about that tire rack info option for original equipment tires .
what does ao stand for, and where would i find that ao designation when car shopping ?

i just went to tire rack site for 2018 q5 original equipment tires.

18 inch ao... conti cross track lx sport .... michelin premier ltx
19 inch ao...conti cross track lx sport
20 inch ao...conti cross track lx sport...michelin premier ltx...pirelli scorpion verde

i chose 19 inch wheels and so it appears i had no choice of tires.
i considered going with 20,and had i known i had 3 tire choices i would have given more consideration for going that way .
when i read the ratings on my contis i wasnt that impressed,and they wouldnt have been my choice if i had a choice.
pal joey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 21" wheels: 2nd Tire replacement 6 months in!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: