Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

21" wheels: 2nd Tire replacement 6 months in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
I think AO stands for Audi Original as in original equipment.

I received my Quattro Quarterly today and saw this.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S plus 265 40R21 installed Friday. So far I’m very happy with the purchase. Just as quiet as the stock Pirelli pzero and has acceptable performance. Plus these tires have a 50k warranty.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by katzjamr
My dealer had 19 and 20 inch options on a lot of Q5's in stock, the car they found for me that was exactly the way I wanted in my color came with the 20", I would have been happy with the 19
I had driven both and could not tell a big difference, in fact the 19" seemed to give a better ride to me. I have Conti's, and after driving a loaner with 20" Pirellis I wish I had drawn those in the tire lottery, they are quieter with a better grip. I think the salespeople do take the path of least resistance, of course, I imagine there are a lot of buyers who think bigger is better without thinking through the cost of replacement, or having the benefit of this forum.
I lost the tire lottery as well and my custom order with 20" wheels shipped with the A/S Conti's. This was a surprise at the time as I was expecting the Michelins. I immediatley swapped them for the same tires as markcincinnati: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I paid the $1000 and sold the Conti's for $350 on Craig's List. I also bought winter wheels and tires (the 19" OEM package) but I wanted to be safe in October and early November when temps drop and I haven't yet made the switch. I've been very happy with the Michelins. Can't really compare them to the Conti's as I swapped out at 400 miles - but the reviews on Tire Rack for the Conti's were awful (see below) and I wasn't going to risk injury or even sour my new SQ5 driving experience with something inferior. I really don't understand Audi's choice to include the Conti's (and why a lottery?) on the SQ5 if they're shooting for customer satisfaction.

TireRack Survey - CrossContact LX Sport - Size: 255/45R20
19 out of 29 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires
81% vs. best in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires
Would You Recommend? 3.5 - Poor
Wet Performance 7.6 - Good
Dry Performance 8.1 - Good
Winter/Snow Performance 6.0 - Fair
Comfort Performance 7.4 - Good
Treadwear Performance 5.5 - Fair

Last edited by spindlewood; 10-13-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I lost the tire lottery as well and my custom order with 20" wheels shipped with the A/S Conti's. This was a surprise at the time as I was expecting the Michelins. I immediatley swapped them for the same tires as markcincinnati: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I paid the $1000 and sold the Conti's for $350 on Craig's List. I also bought winter wheels and tires (the 19" OEM package) but I wanted to be safe in October and early November when temps drop and I haven't yet made the switch. I've been very happy with the Michelins. Can't really compare them to the Conti's as I swapped out at 400 miles - but the reviews on Tire Rack for the Conti's were awful (see below) and I wasn't going to risk injury or even sour my new SQ5 driving experience with something inferior. I really don't understand Audi's choice to include the Conti's (and why a lottery?) on the SQ5 if they're shooting for customer satisfaction.

TireRack Survey - CrossContact LX Sport - Size: 255/45R20
19 out of 29 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires
81% vs. best in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires
Would You Recommend? 3.5 - Poor
Wet Performance 7.6 - Good
Dry Performance 8.1 - Good
Winter/Snow Performance 6.0 - Fair
Comfort Performance 7.4 - Good
Treadwear Performance 5.5 - Fair
I saw those tire rack ratings as well, I think the snow was like 5.5, that really caught my eye as we do travel over mountain passes in the winter around here. Getting rid of them on day one was smart, I am counting the days when I can rationalize changing them out. It was good to read on this forum that someone found their Discount Tire came close to Tire Rack pricing. Not sure if they all will. I used to get 'family' pricing there but my friend lost his hook up.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Factory fitted with Michelin Latitude Sports 3 255/45 R 20 101W - so far happy with then after the 2nd tank of fuel. Driving conditions have been urban with 3/4 that period over wet road surfaces.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The computer systems that Audi must surely employ for their manufacturing requirements planning would/could easily allow for another "option" to be specified.

Imagine the following: You can order your new SQ5 but you can choose the trim level -- so you go ahead and pick Prestige.

Then you say to the dealer who is entering the order into their on-line system, "I'd like Ibis White with the Red Leather seats."

Then the rep stops typing and looks at you and says: "Well, I can get you the Ibis White option, but you'll have to take whatever color seats come up 'in the rotation'."

What you would do is get up and walk out -- you would wonder, "What in the wide, wide world of sports kind of crap is that?"

So, you can see where my ludicrous example is going -- why is it that you can order the wheels but not the tires? Do you think Audi's computer systems couldn't handle another "configuration option?"

If you can specify colors and seats -- and the combinations and permutations that suggests -- there is no doubt that the MRP system Audi employs couldn't have a bill of materials that could include a specific tire (within a range of course). Then Audi could offer those of us who want A/S tires, but also want UHP A/S tires the choice of the Continental, Michelin, or Pirelli models you desire. None of this lottery crap, none of this A/S customer have to take H rated GT tires instead of real Audi worthy shoes.

Maybe they think customers are stupid, or, more likely ignorant of such things.

At this stage of software systems, there is no way their systems wouldn't allow such configurations, for some reason they just have decided not to employ this feature "for wheel and tire combinations." I submit not allowing such choice is akin to my paint color seat color example above.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The computer systems that Audi must surely employ for their manufacturing requirements planning would/could easily allow for another "option" to be specified.

Imagine the following: You can order your new SQ5 but you can choose the trim level -- so you go ahead and pick Prestige.

Then you say to the dealer who is entering the order into their on-line system, "I'd like Ibis White with the Red Leather seats."

Then the rep stops typing and looks at you and says: "Well, I can get you the Ibis White option, but you'll have to take whatever color seats come up 'in the rotation'."

What you would do is get up and walk out -- you would wonder, "What in the wide, wide world of sports kind of crap is that?"

So, you can see where my ludicrous example is going -- why is it that you can order the wheels but not the tires? Do you think Audi's computer systems couldn't handle another "configuration option?"

If you can specify colors and seats -- and the combinations and permutations that suggests -- there is no doubt that the MRP system Audi employs couldn't have a bill of materials that could include a specific tire (within a range of course). Then Audi could offer those of us who want A/S tires, but also want UHP A/S tires the choice of the Continental, Michelin, or Pirelli models you desire. None of this lottery crap, none of this A/S customer have to take H rated GT tires instead of real Audi worthy shoes.

Maybe they think customers are stupid, or, more likely ignorant of such things.

At this stage of software systems, there is no way their systems wouldn't allow such configurations, for some reason they just have decided not to employ this feature "for wheel and tire combinations." I submit not allowing such choice is akin to my paint color seat color example above.
Wondered the same thing myself about tires and wheels. Seems to be most of the Audis I've seen on my dealer's lot have Continental tires. I know that we are in a global manufacturing economy, but I just kinda wonder if the fact that Conti is a German company has anything to do with it?
And you are right about customer's attitudes about wheels and tires being deal breakers. I had a deal on a Jag F Pace about 15 months ago. The car that I wanted with the equipment I wanted, except the "wrong" wheels. Salesman knew I didn't want the black wheels, an $1800 option. But I negotiated the deal. When it came down to the wheels, he was not willing to swap out to a different wheel, even though I had negotiated a higher price and was willing to take a lower price wheel w/out me asking for a discount. I walked.