Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

7 days with the Q5 and ready to give it away

Old 04-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roland Soltesz
Thanks for the advice. I did not get the warm weather package Not sure any of the vehicles had it. Since they just hit the lots last week. If it takes getting the better seats I am going to have to.

For the premium paid these seats should be appropriate. I am including a picture of the culprit. Notice the hard plastic on the side
Very interesting. You can see how much extra padding is on the side of the sport seats in the A4. The bad news is that you can't get the sport seats with the beige interior in the 2018 Q5. Or at least it doesn't let you configure that in the online configurator.

Last edited by OHWHATDA; 04-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a Q5 yesterday and felt the plastic piece press the bolster. It was noticeable to me, but to me it just felt like the seat was holding me in. I drove about five miles. The lag was a problem, so I'm glad there is a solution. I'll keep the car in sport mode. The ride was surprisingly good for 20" wheels. A couple of miles of freeway driving was no problem. I didn't even notice what driving mode, but I suspect the comfort setting or Auto. The steering seemed a bit vague at times, but nothing objectionable. I only pressed it a couple of times with the salesguy in the back seat.

I've got a Premium Plus on order for delivery in July/August timeframe and can't wait.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
Very interesting. You can see how much extra padding is on the side of the sport seats in the A4. The bad news is that you can't get the sport seats with the beige interior in the 2018 Q5. Or at least it doesn't let you configure that in the online configurator.

I have these same seats in my A4. I am prone to back/neck pain, but the Sport seats are extremely comfortable and supportive. I think one of the issues is that the standard seats are short, and if you don't have support for your legs the pressure goes to your back. I'm only 5'8", and I have the thigh extenders extended by a couple of clicks. It takes the pressure off my back.
Attached Thumbnails 7 days with the Q5 and ready to give it away-fullsizerender-2-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I concur that the confort sport seats are just horrible. They are a real torture after a long drive. I tested my A4 on a stretch of straight hi way and I thought that they were just snug, but after picking up the car and driving it for a few hours I felt that they were simply horrible! I have been driving A4 for the last 20 years and never had such a problem.

Fortunately, the car I bought was a CPO, so I called the dealership and told them how I felt about the car I just bought. They told me to come and try another car with the regular seats and it was much better. I would say they are still uncomfortable, but nothing like the sports comfort seats. I had to buy a brand new A4, goodbye CPO savings. I am now trying to get used to those seats. My previous A4 was much more comfortable. I do not understand why Audi decided to have such a bad design for the new seats. These type of cars should fit a wide array of body types. I can understand that a TT cannot fit everybody, but an A4 should, especially when it has for the last twenty years! I have been buying Audi A4 for so long because it fits me. When I rarely sit on the passenger side, I have space for my legs, they are not cramped by a wheel well bulge like most cars.

EDIT: I had skipped a page and just noticed that Rolland has the regular seats. I guess he can thank god he did not get the sport or the comfort ventilated seats which are a lot worst! I am upset, but still happy that I am not the only one who feels this way about the seats of the new A4 and Q5. I test drove the new Q5 with the sport comfort seats that Audi is trying to push down our throats and they felt as bad as the one I had in my first 2017 A4.

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 04-21-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Roland Soltesz
Thanks for the advice. I did not get the warm weather package Not sure any of the vehicles had it. Since they just hit the lots last week. If it takes getting the better seats I am going to have to.

For the premium paid these seats should be appropriate. I am including a picture of the culprit. Notice the hard plastic on the side
As an owner of dozens, literally, of Audis since 1977, one of the areas that I least would have told someone about in a "cautionary" fashion would have been the seats -- we've had BMWs, VWs, an Infiniti and a top spec Acura TL and Audi seats are -- by far -- the best.

Your issues with the seats are a first, for me, at least.

Having said that, it is unfortunate that you did not or were not offered a 24 hour test drive. I suspect you cannot be given a Muligan, so your options and remedies may be limited, unless you are willing to take a financial hit -- for you surely would not win should you try to litigate this.

I don't know what to suggest other than trading the car in and getting another one with comfortable seats, even if it is NOT an Audi.

The Sport Mode suggestion would never even have occurred to me since I have, for 43 months, never driven my S4 with the DSG in any other mode -- and mine is supercharged not turbocharged.

It seems like many of us, even absolute Audi fanatics, are coming up short with suggestions to help you with your situation.

You can try soliciting help from Audi of America, but again, I wouldn't think there is going to be a "free" resolution to your situation.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
I concur that the confort sport seats are just horrible. They are a real torture after a long drive. I tested my A4 on a stretch of straight hi way and I thought that they were just snug, but after picking up the car and driving it for a few hours I felt that they were simply horrible! I have been driving A4 for the last 20 years and never had such a problem.

Fortunately, the car I bought was a CPO, so I called the dealership and told them how I felt about the car I just bought. They told me to come and try another car with the regular seats and it was much better. I would say they are still uncomfortable, but nothing like the sports comfort seats. I had to buy a brand new A4, goodbye CPO savings. I am now trying to get used to those seats. My previous A4 was much more comfortable. I do not understand why Audi decided to have such a bad design for the new seats. These type of cars should fit a wide array of body types. I can understand that a TT cannot fit everybody, but an A4 should, especially when it has for the last twenty years! I have been buying Audi A4 for so long because it fits me. When I rarely sit on the passenger side, I have space for my legs, they are not cramped by a wheel well bulge like most cars.

EDIT: I had skipped a page and just noticed that Rolland has the regular seats. I guess he can thank god he did not get the sport or the comfort ventilated seats which are a lot worst! I am upset, but still happy that I am not the only one who feels this way about the seats of the new A4 and Q5. I test drove the new Q5 with the sport comfort seats that Audi is trying to push down our throats and they felt as bad as the one I had in my first 2017 A4.
Concur with who? I think most of us on here were recommending the Sport seats because those of us who have them find them very comfortable and DON'T find the regular seats comfortable. Anyway, to each his own.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak

I have no idea what [comfort] sport seats are -- Audi typically offers "comfort seats" OR "sport seats."

In any case, I would think the majority of Audi owners would have the highest praise for Audi sport seats. I can't speak to what the consensus would be for the "comfort" seats.

Of course it is entirely possible for someone to find either seat not to their liking. This, however, does not change the fact that the professional car reviewers laud Audi seats, overall.

It is indeed unfortunate that we have found, perhaps, two people who don't find the Audi seats comfortable.

If someone is reading these posts who is "shopping" for a new car and Audi is on the short list, I believe the advice here from us "super users" and "junior users" alike, would be to INSIST on more than one LOOOONNNGGGG test drive. At these prices an all-day test is not unheard of and is usually available if you ask.

Might I also point you to the new Motor Trend magazine -- which does have a test of many of the "contenders" in the premium market (four door sedans) -- considering the A4 is in the group, it would be somewhat similar to what your expectations would be for a Q5.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Human bodies come in all sizes and shapes, so it's understandable that for some people the seats just don't work. It emphasizes the need for thoroughly test driving a car before committing to it.

I personally don't find the standard seats particularly great. I've always owned S or RS models and the S sport seats, a notch up from even the A sport seats have so far been phenomenal. The best were probably the Recaro seats in my previous 2007 S4, but the current seats in my RS5 are great, too. I've done several 12 hours of driving in one day road trips and other than flying business class I'm rarely this comfortable while traveling.

However, my wife would disagree. At her petite 5'1" height, the fixed head restraints are an issue for her. I found a neck pillow that helps to some extent, but she regularly has to tilt her head to one or the other side of the head restraint otherwise she gets neck pain as the head restraint is pushing her head forward. She doesn't just have issues with the fixed head restraint in my RS5. European car seats are not really made for short people.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Concur with who? I think most of us on here were recommending the Sport seats because those of us who have them find them very comfortable and DON'T find the regular seats comfortable. Anyway, to each his own.
Well, I concur with the OP that the seats are uncomfortable! The original poster is 6'2" and I am 6'4".

Audi used to make seats that were comfortable for tall people. It seems it is not the case anymore. When you use to buy a brand for twenty years and suddenly the new design that is supposed to be larger and better does not fit anymore, it is better to be warned before.

Maybe if the sport seats or the ventilated sport seats were designed to fit people taller than 6 foot and more than 200lbs, I would find them comfortable, but it seems not to be the case.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It happens to me as well. You need to make few adjustment to the seat to get right setting. Than you will be fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7 days with the Q5 and ready to give it away