Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Active Lane Assist - 2018 Q5 vs... CRV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Active Lane Assist - 2018 Q5 vs... CRV?

I love my 2018 Q5 Prestige with DAP. Absolutely love it. But here's the surprising thing: bought a 2018 Honda CR-V for my wife in May, and it's LKAS feels even better to me! By better, I mean it doesn't wander around finding the lane limits as much as the Q5 does, even when the Q5's steering intervention is set to "early."

I do prefer the Audi's UI for this feature (and all others), hands down, but the Honda locks into the lane and sticks like glue.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, but then you own a Honda....

I mostly mitigate any "hunting" by weighting the steering wheel in one direction with my hand, it stops the car from hunting entirely and you have to do something with your hand lest you get harassed by the system.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

New VW also has a batter DAP. plus it wont turn off every few miles when i drive in a straight line. My Audi thinks that i have no hands on wheel as i'm not steering it as i'm going straight
Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
New VW also has a batter DAP. plus it wont turn off every few miles when i drive in a straight line. My Audi thinks that i have no hands on wheel as i'm not steering it as i'm going straight
It's a location problem, you have a lot of straight roads - I have nearly no straight roads here in eastern MA and the system never bugs me. When I recently went up to Montreal, once I was in Canada there were lots of straight roads and I got bugged by the system a lot.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
It's a location problem, you have a lot of straight roads - I have nearly no straight roads here in eastern MA and the system never bugs me. When I recently went up to Montreal, once I was in Canada there were lots of straight roads and I got bugged by the system a lot.
sorry this is not a “location problem “ somehow VW is able to work perfectly fine but not the Audi?

Plus how can you cont acount for straight road?? I live with it but definitely one more of the small items that I got to live with and explain to my passengers as it makes a loud noise when switching off. Maybe if it only did not do that it would be nothing worth mentioning. But that loud alarm is annoying.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm finding that the Audi lane keep and traffic jam assist are not that great. As I'm researching my next car and honing in on Mercedes-AMG, I'm finding that the systems on other cars are smarter. Audi's system detects if you are holding the steering wheel by sensing minute steering inputs from the driver, so I feel the wandering is intentional to keep you making corrections so it knows that you are paying attention. That means that if you are just resting your hand on the steering and driving dead straight, it often thinks you are not holding the steering wheel. Also lane keep assist is primarily intended to keep you from crossing the lane not to keep the car centered. Mercedes has what's called steering assist on top of lane keep assist, which keeps the car centered in your lane and actively steers the car up to a point. It's basically what Audi's only do below 40 mph when Traffic Jam Assist is active. Mercedes also appears to have sensors in the steering wheel that detect touch, so you don't have to wiggle the steering wheel every so often. I have yet to test the Mercedes system in practice myself, but from what I've seen on videos it appears much better than what Audi currently offers and I'm looking forward to it. Not sure what Honda is using and what newer VWs are using, but Audi clearly needs to improve their current offerings. They are too conservative, lack sensors in the steering wheel and in my experience tend to get annoying. In Audis I usually turn off Traffic Jam Assist and Lane keep assist as it tends to be more annoying than useful and I rather steer myself. ACC works great, but Audi needs to improve the assisted steering implementation. Hopefully, they'll improve it over time.

Cadillac has an even cooler system. Their super cruise system uses a camera to monitor your face and eyes and as long as you are paying attention to the road and there is no other reason to require the driver to take over, you don't even need to rest your hands on the steering wheel.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-22-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm finding that the Audi lane keep and traffic jam assist are not that great. As I'm researching my next car and honing in on Mercedes-AMG, I'm finding that the systems on other cars are smarter. Audi's system detects if you are holding the steering wheel by sensing minute steering inputs from the driver, so I feel the wandering is intentional to keep you making corrections so it knows that you are paying attention. That means that if you are just resting your hand on the steering and driving dead straight, it often thinks you are not holding the steering wheel. Also lane keep assist is primarily intended to keep you from crossing the lane not to keep the car centered. Mercedes has what's called steering assist on top of lane keep assist, which keeps the car centered in your lane and actively steers the car up to a point. It's basically what Audi's only do below 40 mph when Traffic Jam Assist is active. Mercedes also appears to have sensors in the steering wheel that detect touch, so you don't have to wiggle the steering wheel every so often. I have yet to test the Mercedes system in practice myself, but from what I've seen on videos it appears much better than what Audi currently offers and I'm looking forward to it. Not sure what Honda is using and what newer VWs are using, but Audi clearly needs to improve their current offerings. They are too conservative, lack sensors in the steering wheel and in my experience tend to get annoying. In Audis I usually turn off Traffic Jam Assist and Lane keep assist as it tends to be more annoying than useful and I rather steer myself. ACC works great, but Audi needs to improve the assisted steering implementation. Hopefully, they'll improve it over time.

Cadillac has an even cooler system. Their super cruise system uses a camera to monitor your face and eyes and as long as you are paying attention to the road and there is no other reason to require the driver to take over, you don't even need to rest your hands on the steering wheel.

very well stated, now just my experience driving others Jeep GC system is terrible and turns on corrects after you pass the line. Cadillac without super cruise would bounce you from one side to onother. Best I experienced as I did not drive Mercedes-Benz to quote Germans “if I want to drive a MB I take a taxi” is the VW in 2019 Jetta and 2018 Tiguan

also the Cadillac super cruise only works on some main highways what were mapped so not sure how good it will be after changes road construction and useless on other roads
Old 08-22-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm finding that the Audi lane keep and traffic jam assist are not that great. As I'm researching my next car and honing in on Mercedes-AMG, I'm finding that the systems on other cars are smarter. Audi's system detects if you are holding the steering wheel by sensing minute steering inputs from the driver, so I feel the wandering is intentional to keep you making corrections so it knows that you are paying attention. That means that if you are just resting your hand on the steering and driving dead straight, it often thinks you are not holding the steering wheel. Also lane keep assist is primarily intended to keep you from crossing the lane not to keep the car centered. Mercedes has what's called steering assist on top of lane keep assist, which keeps the car centered in your lane and actively steers the car up to a point. It's basically what Audi's only do below 40 mph when Traffic Jam Assist is active. Mercedes also appears to have sensors in the steering wheel that detect touch, so you don't have to wiggle the steering wheel every so often. I have yet to test the Mercedes system in practice myself, but from what I've seen on videos it appears much better than what Audi currently offers and I'm looking forward to it. Not sure what Honda is using and what newer VWs are using, but Audi clearly needs to improve their current offerings. They are too conservative, lack sensors in the steering wheel and in my experience tend to get annoying. In Audi's I usually turn off Traffic Jam Assist and Lane keep assist as it tends to be more annoying the useful. Hopefully, they'll improve it over time.
I agree! The problem may be that it was not quite read for production. It wasn’t available at launch and as we know now, still not right. The Q8 has tech that seems to be ahead of Merc but we will not get Level 2 autonomy in the US. The Q7 refresh in 2020 may get an update to tech!
I’m leaning toward the 2020 GLE 53 but the Q8 and X5 are other candidates. I drove a 2018 GLE 43 and was not impressed. The Audi tech and handling are better in comparable vehicles in 2018, IMO. Plush but seemed sluggish. Mercedes quality ranking has taken a hit-the A class and fake leather may be a big factor but still??
After almost always special ordering, I hope to have the will power to wait and test drive all 3 before deciding. There is a lot more to the purchase decision than in the past....almost too many goodies. There is a lot to like about the SQ5!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S

I agree! The problem may be that it was not quite read for production. It wasn’t available at launch and as we know now, still not right. The Q8 has tech that seems to be ahead of Merc but we will not get Level 2 autonomy in the US. The Q7 refresh in 2020 may get an update to tech!
I’m leaning toward the 2020 GLE 53 but the Q8 and X5 are other candidates. I drove a 2018 GLE 43 and was not impressed. The Audi tech and handling are better in comparable vehicles in 2018, IMO. Plush but seemed sluggish. Mercedes quality ranking has taken a hit-the A class and fake leather may be a big factor but still??
After almost always special ordering, I hope to have the will power to wait and test drive all 3 before deciding. There is a lot more to the purchase decision than in the past....almost too many goodies. There is a lot to like about the SQ5!
Some of the current Benz such as the GLE are quite outdated I agree. I'm looking at the C63 S, which just got facelifted for 2019. It now has the latest Infotainment system like the E-Class and S-Class, with a digital cockpit that looks better and is more useful than Audi's VC in their RS models. Lots of cool performance views including the Track Pace app. They also updated their driving dynamics and drive programs and gave it the 9-stage traction control from the GT-R. I'm not too worried about quality with the AMG models. The C63 is AMG's bread and butter and they are paying attention to it. The A-Class was widely viewed as crap and probably affected Mercedes' standing, but they just unveiled the all-new A-Class. Pretty amazing. Take a look at that all-new cabin tech. First production car with augmented reality navigation. It shows the turn-by-turn directions over a camera image of the real world pointing exactly to the road you are supposed to take and the voice recognition with AI that learns from you is quite amazing. Mercedes is somewhat on a tear now.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some of the current Benz such as the GLE are quite outdated I agree. I'm looking at the C63 S, which just got facelifted for 2019. It now has the latest Infotainment system like the E-Class and S-Class, with a digital cockpit that looks better and is more useful than Audi's VC in their RS models. Lots of cool performance views including the Track Pace app. They also updated their driving dynamics and drive programs and gave it the 9-stage traction control from the GT-R. I'm not too worried about quality with the AMG models. The C63 is AMG's bread and butter and they are paying attention to it. The A-Class was widely viewed as crap and probably affected Mercedes' standing, but they just unveiled the all-new A-Class. Pretty amazing. Take a look at that all-new cabin tech. First production car with augmented reality navigation. It shows the turn-by-turn directions over a camera image of the real world pointing exactly to the road you are supposed to take and the voice recognition with AI that learns from you is quite amazing. Mercedes is somewhat on a tear now.

i was waiting for the A-Class but decided to just get the SQ, all joking aside i think that the only company that needs to perform a face lift to all the cars is the BMW just my personal opinion. I did however prefer the last gen Audi look then the current but the tech sold me on the current gen

Quick Reply: Active Lane Assist - 2018 Q5 vs... CRV?