Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Active Lane Assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Lane Assist

I spent some freeway driving time this weekend and frequently had a warning come on for the active lane assist system telling me I needed to take control of the wheel. My hands were on the wheel, but I was just simply driving perfectly straight, yet the system still warned me. I'm sure some of you have experienced this too.

Is there any way to adjust/turn off when that system essentially deactivates itself until I slightly turn the steering wheel? It seems counter intuitive to me that a safety feature would generate a warning and deactivate itself simply because I'm driving in a straight line and not having to move the steering wheel.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have observed the same issue along with finding that it doesn't hold the lane as well as it should. Testing I've found that in some circumstances it will let the vehicle cross the center line slightly before adjusting. Also it can be jerky adjusting at times and if you are on a single lane spreading into 2 lanes it will try to go to the right lane with a little more force than I like. Exiting a freeway where there 2 lanes meeting 4 or 5 lanes it's just plain dangerous because it may try to take you from the inside lane clear over to the outside lane.
I'm no expert but I'd say Audi's ALA is at best middle of the road, not quite ready yet. Mine seems to lose the lane markings more than it should and if you are driving into the sun it's even worse. The ALA might help protect you if you fall asleep or are distracted but others like Tesla with Level3 autonomy and Volvo's that will steer to avoid a collision are much more advanced.
I think the system senses lateral pressure to decide if you are attentive. The time out period can be adjusted slightly if you have a programmer like the OBD11. You just have to make sure you put pressure on the wheel when you see the warning or turn it off completely. I've tried adjusting all the settings and nothing else seems to make it better. You can reduce or increase the steering wheel vibration and you can make it more or less agressive in trying to keep you in the lane markings but the latter just lets it wander farther before activating..
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine seems to do a good job keeping me in the lane. The car almost drives itself on the freeways. I always have at least one hand on the steering wheel and can feel the resistance. However, I keep getting those warnings a little too often and wish I can turn them off. I thought I adjusted something using OBD11 and I thought it helped, but I see get those alerts.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried this yet? (I'm in no way advocating the use of a orange to drive your car).

Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I've seen that as well. If you are driving straight, on a smooth road, it doesn't detect any feedback from your hands on the wheel. There really is no "cure" for that though.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've found myself turning the wheel gradually as if I'm in a TV show. It's clear this warning is triggered by steering input rather than any sensors in the wheel. I HATE this feature and never use it.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Came here to say this. I think it's based on inputs detected, of which you won't have many if the road is straight as an arrow. I had it nag me every 20 miles or so on a long interstate drive through flatlands, super annoying. Probably a CYA reminder if anything.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use lane assist if I'm eating, feeling really lazy, or otherwise not paying much attention. Works well for me in those scenarios but I agree there are times when it wants me to remind it I'm in control when I don't want to remind it. Overall I like the option to use the feature but I would not use it full time.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, it's kind of one of those things I have active just in case but I don't rely on it. It's just annoying that it keeps beeping at me when I do have both hands on the wheel. I test drove a Lexus and literally had my hands completely not touching the wheel for at least 2-3 minutes and the system stayed engaged/active the entire time - it was really impressive. I'm surprised Audi's system isn't as good. Not a deal breaker, just something I think they missed on a bit.

At least I'm not the only one - thanks!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just to be clear, ALA (Active Lane Assist) with DAP (Driver Assistance Package) will make corrections to keep the car between the lines if it can detect one or both lines. You can set change the settings for this to early or late intervention and/or add vibration alert. I'm not sure there is a coding fix or medication for the "Please take over steering" timing. It is definitely annoying when you the road is straight and you have your hands on the wheel and it still notifies you to "Please take over steering". I'm pretty sure you can tap the accelerator every couple of minutes, as opposed to turning the wheel, to prevent the system from popping up the "Please take over steering" notification.

Quick Reply: Active Lane Assist