Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Air Conditioning issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lstead
very frustrating - mine goes to the shop Wed. so we'll see what I find out
Looks like it needs a new evaporator and it is being shipped from Germany.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They called and mine is also the evaporator! Crazy!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They called and mine is also the evaporator! Crazy!
Did they say it is being delivered from Germany.
Daily morning when I started the car I did smell plastic burnt from the AC...did you experience the same?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They didn't say, but it's going to take over a week so maybe that's why. I didn't ever experience a burnt smell.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They didn't say, but it's going to take over a week so maybe that's why. I didn't ever experience a burnt smell.
Lets hope this is going to fix the problem...
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

New SQ5 owner here. My AC "works" but it struggles to keep the interior cool in 90+ weather. Dealer said line pressure is normal. We tested another SQ5 on the lot and it seems more or less the same.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have commented often when driving in Texas heat that the Q5 cools better than any car I have owned. I was pleasantly surprised. Germans don't seem to get Texas heat. Mexicans apparently do (That was for you Jeff Audi, I'm of German ancestry, and German males love them some senorita. My grandkids are at least half mexican.)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_Audi
Neighbor of mine is a Tech for our local Audi dealer and he's said that since Audi moved production of the Q5 to Mexico they are having terrible QC issues with the new Q5 models. Initial inspections used to take an hour or so, now they can take 2-3 days with all the issues that are popping up. Why on earth did Audi chose Mexico to produce a high end model I will never understand. Should have chosen to build them in the US. I'm now having serious second thoughts on buying a new Q5 now. Such a bummer. We want to upgrade from our VW Tiguan.
Don't normally see obvious trolls on this sight. Maybe Jeff is one. Or maybe he just needs to explain what he meant.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spgmes
Ordered and received a 2018 Q5 Premium Plus. No issues on the factory order. Love the car except before I got to 300 miles my air conditioning stopped working. I was unable to toggle the air conditioner to 'on'. Took it in to the dealer and was told that the refrigerant was empty. They charged it and supposedly tested everything out for leaks and such. I was also told this was probably an issue from the factory. So off I go. A week later, and about 300 hundred more miles, the air no longer works again. This time I can still toggle the air conditioner from on/off/max, but it does not blow any cold air. Car is back at the dealership. Kind of surprised and disappointed in having defects on a new car. In ALL the cars I've purchased over my lifetime this has never happened to me before. This is also my first 'luxury' vehicle. I haven't noticed any issues like this so I thought I would post it.
I had the exact same issue, ie: with AC on, would blow luke warm air, even at 60F.

My car is back at the dealer for the 2nd time in three months. They couldn't find the issue the first time, seems like they have found the issue this time around, but need to wait two days for the part. This is 1 day after picking up my car from _5 weeks_ in service to try and rectify a bent rim.... I won't even get onto that story...
Old 10-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, it's been in the shop 4 weeks tomorrow and we are still waiting on them to make a new evaporator in Germany. Estimated ship date is now Nov. 8. Dealership has been super, but this is VERY frustrating.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning issues