Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Air Conditioning issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problem also on a 2018 Q5 with only 12000 miles

I had the same problem. My Q5 with 12000 miles on it stopped blowing cold last summer. The dealer filled it with freon and dye as they couldn't find a leak. This spring it would not blow cool again. The dealer found the evaporator had a leak. After keeping the car two weeks they returned the car with a list a mile long of the items they had to remove and reinstall to replace the evaporator. Still under warranty but if it wouldn't have been it would have been several thousands to repair I'm sure. When they returned the car the front windshield pillars are marked up and in some places torn. Am waiting for an answer about that issue now. When you live 1 1/2 hours to the dealership this is not fun. Last year the windshield washer stopped working (only about the third time I used it). Never had an issue on any other car I ever owned on these two things since the 70s. With all the things they took out and reinstalled now probably won't keep the car in fear of something not being installed right. Truly sad.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A/C can't be selected anymore

add me to the list.
ON/MAX are grayed out. AC not working anymore
after 28000K
quite impressive.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Add me to the list as well, my 2018 Sq5 AC died at 6200 miles.

AC Evaporator needs to be replaced, whole dashboard and windshield needs to be taken out.

Anyone experience this type of major repair? Concerned if everything wont go back correctky like factory, creaks and rattles.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Taking delivery of my brand new, 2019 Q5 Premium Plus from Audi Seattle on Saturday and lo and behold, the AC doesn't work. The toggle switch will not allow you to toggle into "AC On". The senior technician they brought in said he'd seen it on another vehicle and that it was due to a control board that runs that series of toggle switches. So he thinks it's a silicon issue rather than an issue with compressors and hoses, etc. I said, "Fine, do you have a service loaner?" Not an auspicious start to being an Audi owner after 13 years with BMW.

-James
Seattle, WA

Back to the AudiWorld for the first time since my 1998 Audi A4 2.8Q
Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome back, I took delivery of my first Audi last September 2018. Sorry this happened. Audi Seattle is a good dealership and I am sure they will figure it out. They are backed up on loaners though, I need service and cant get service with a loaner until mid August.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by spgmes
Kind of surprised and disappointed in having defects on a new car. In ALL the cars I've purchased over my lifetime this has never happened to me before. This is also my first 'luxury' vehicle. I haven't noticed any issues like this so I thought I would post it.
You must be pretty young. My first new vehicle was a 1980 VW Scirocco. Prior to that, and aside from the hand-me-down vehicles that I had to fix all the time, my parents new cars ('68 Buick, '74 VW Super Beetle, '78 VW Rabbit, 1980 Buick Regal all had s**t-loads of defects and problems soon after or at delivery. It was a ritual to write a list of problems and bring the car back to the dealer after a couple of weeks of driving it for repairs.

Heck, my Dad's 1980 Regal was at the dealer for 55 days during it's first year. There were no free loaners either. It stranded my mom once. At the grocery store lot after shopping. Frozen food. Summer......

The last few new vehicles purchased have been trouble-free though. I usually keep mine for many years so I don't buy new very often. Even the '05 GMC Envoy I bought for Mrs Bally had a complete shut down on random left turns within a few weeks of purchase. Dealer could not duplicate or figure it out after two visits.She wanted me to take it back as she was afraid of getting killed. I looked under the hood at the main power/fuse panel and found a large loose wire/ring terminal and tightened it myself. Problem solved. That vehicle is in the driveway about to be taken to a charity motors place. The new Q5 is replacing it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by katzjamr
Welcome back, I took delivery of my first Audi last September 2018. Sorry this happened. Audi Seattle is a good dealership and I am sure they will figure it out. They are backed up on loaners though, I need service and cant get service with a loaner until mid August.
I was able to get a loaner, a Q5 in lieu of the one I actually bought. Guess I'll just put the miles on their loaner rather than my new car. I'm off to Vancouver BC this weekend!

-James
Seattle, WA

2019 Audi Q5 Premium+ -- PDK (loaded)
2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i -- automatic (loaded)
2006 Mini CooperS convertible -- manual (loaded except navigation)
2006 BMWX3 -- manual (MSport pack, xenons, parking sensors, H/K stereo, etc. Everything but the antiquated nav system)
2006 BMW 330Cic -- manual (MSport pack, xenons, parking sensors, H/K stereo, etc. Everything but the antiquated nav system)
1998 Audi A4 2.8 QTip (Bose, leather, etc.)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My Q5 is back in the shop for A/C issues -- twice in 5 weeks of ownership. I'll let you know what they find...

James
Seattle, WA
Old 06-29-2020, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

That is so cool.

See what I did there?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2019 Audi Q5 A/C out

My A/C is out, but also smelled chemical smell every time started the car for several months. Tech said that is likely refrigerant leaking over time. That seems dangerous to our health. Please beware if you have a chemical smell in your car on start up. I have always had Infinitis before this, never any maintenance issues. Especially when new....

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning issues