Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

all new x3 announced.. looks like stiff competition for the audi

Old 06-28-2017, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greystoke
It does have rear exhaust tips... +1 to the guys in Munich.

Grey
As a 18 SQ5 owner, I am envious or the exhaust on the 40i
Old 06-28-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X3 tech

2 things caught my eye for the x3. The heads up display appears impressive. Only caught a quick glimpse but it's significantly bigger with better graphics. I wonder if that will be better or worse in terms of being distracting. The other was the steering assist which I'm assuming is available in the standard x3 as well (not just the m40). Amazing that it this tech is now starting to make its way down the lower tier models.

That said I still like the 18 sq5 more. Call me biased lol
Old 06-28-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
The only way I'd consider the X3 is if it were a diesel. I stopped by a local BMW dealer a couple of weeks ago, and he seems to think their diesels will return. I wonder...
This article from the press briefing indicated that if a diesel X3 were to roll out of Spartanburg and stay in the US, it would be the four-cylinder diesel making 190 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque, not the straight-six 30d model making 265 HP and 457 lb-ft of torque. So not quite as peppy as the old Q5 TDI. BMW doesn't seem to be afraid of diesels, but they're also doubling down on their iPerformance mild hybrid models, so I wouldn't be shocked if in late 2018 or early 2019 a hybrid iPerformance X3 is the only non-traditional gas engine option for the US.

That being said, this X3 is an incredibly compelling vehicle. Going to have to schedule back-to-back test drives of the Q5 and X3 when it hits the dealers. If the BMW interior feels better put together than the new Q5, it is going to be tough for me not to go that route, especially since tech-wise the two cars are almost on par with each other.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q-Branch
This article from the press briefing indicated that if a diesel X3 were to roll out of Spartanburg and stay in the US, it would be the four-cylinder diesel making 190 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque, not the straight-six 30d model making 265 HP and 457 lb-ft of torque. So not quite as peppy as the old Q5 TDI. BMW doesn't seem to be afraid of diesels, but they're also doubling down on their iPerformance mild hybrid models, so I wouldn't be shocked if in late 2018 or early 2019 a hybrid iPerformance X3 is the only non-traditional gas engine option for the US.

That being said, this X3 is an incredibly compelling vehicle. Going to have to schedule back-to-back test drives of the Q5 and X3 when it hits the dealers. If the BMW interior feels better put together than the new Q5, it is going to be tough for me not to go that route, especially since tech-wise the two cars are almost on par with each other.
I drove an earlier version of the four cyl in both the 3 Series and the X3. The auto stop/start was the only thing I didn't care for, mostly because of the way it shook the car. I'd be perfectly happy with that much power, but I'm not going to wait until some time next year to replace my Q5.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When shopping the Q5 and X3 between last summer and March of this year, one major deterrent for me was the lack of sport seat option in the base and X-line X3. The Msport looks fine but wasn't as much of a fit for an outdoor PNW lifestyle as the base or X-line trim, or even the S-line Q5. They seem to have made sport seats an option in the X-line and new Luxury line now, which is great. I still ended up finding the Q5 sport seats a better fit for me, but it's nice that it's an option now.

In the end I stopped searching as life events reminded me I didn't need a new car, but if I'm in the market again in the next few years I'll definitely be looking at the new X3 again. I like the look of the Msport trim better this time around too. Seems a little more rugged in the front.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

BMW blog has an article where they show them face to face and the q5 looks a little nicer.

I am leaning toward q5 though.

I want to wait until they x3 is available to see in person and test drive.

My other dilemma is that I may want the a5 sportback or 430i gran coupe.

I am just not sure at the moment.

Its a good idea I joined bmw and audi blogs.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Does the infotainment screen retract on the new X3 M version, cannot tell from the pictures of the car?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by griffinmill27516
It's a fixed screen. Looks nice too!
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a really good hour-long preview video from Autogefühl, where they go over all of the details of the new X3. Thought the interior bit that starts around the six minute mark to be particularly good, seems to me like BMW really paid attention to details with this redesign.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q-Branch
Here is a really good hour-long preview video from Autogefühl, where they go over all of the details of the new X3. Thought the interior bit that starts around the six minute mark to be particularly good, seems to me like BMW really paid attention to details with this redesign.
I watched through this whole review as well. For me though, it's the interior where the X3 loses me, and particularly the center console and controls. It's just not as clean as the Q5. Seeing it in this review only served to confirm my choice of the Q5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: all new x3 announced.. looks like stiff competition for the audi