Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

all new x3 announced.. looks like stiff competition for the audi

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very "x1ish" to me (which would make sense)...IMHO, many BMW's look "over designed"...like they tried too hard...this is especially true with the i which is horrific looking...
Old 07-06-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default APR Tuned Q5 TDI owner here...

Test drove the '18 Audi SQ5 and Mercedes AMG GLC 43 today. Absolutely hated the new SQ5's interior. Terrible color options and a bland modern design. A step backward from my 2014 Audi IMO... a deal breaker.

Loved the 43's interior, power, braking, and ride. Mercedes has really outdone themselves on that car. Will decide next year as the pure M X3 is due by then.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Has 'X-drive' improved to the point where its traction control is as good as 'quattro'?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Color choices on the SQ5 are extremely limited to where it makes no sense at all!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Is Quattro superior to x drive?. I have seen a lot of pros and cons leaning toward both choices.

Bmw blog has a side by side photo compare and the q5 looks better.

Originally Posted by lowjdml
Has 'X-drive' improved to the point where its traction control is as good as 'quattro'?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

f10, Audi, Porsche and Volkswagen have, traditionally, limited color options to fewer than some of the competition offer; but our options are pretty likeable, agree? Every year or so a couple of new colors - like Azores green - appear.
I scanned the many paint options for MB, BMW and Lexus, and there are some I would pay not to own.
(Full disclosure: an Azores green Q5 should dock here in a month or so. Yea!)
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Black gray and red being the only interior options is what annoys me. Would it be too hard to offer a brown/tan option? Black and gray get very BLAH after a while!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I hadn't realized SQ5 interior options are far fewer than for the Q5.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely jealous of the touchscreen, that's simply how these screens were meant to be used. Really annoying that both the Q5 and GLC-300 have shunned touch in 2018. Don't give me the "Audi doesn't want you to move your shoulders" thing, it's a lot easier to just touch the area you want on the screen then fiddle with a **** or pad.

It's a shame BMW decided to screw all Android users though and only commit to Apple. Shocking actually.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Test drove a new X5 two weeks ago. Was not impressed with the drive experience. Ride felt very busy and jumpy on all roads other than the highway. Just did not feel luxurious and in no way felt like a $70K vehicle (yeah, that was the msrp). I actually had my mind made up I'd be getting an X5, but after that test drive I crossed it off the list. Did not feel like a vehicle I would look forward to driving every day.

My daughter has an X1 and got a loaner X3 last month. Had a chance to drive the X3 and was similarly not impressed. Like the X5, it was OK, but not special. Felt I'd be just as happy driving any other car on the road. To me I want my car to feel special and want to look forward to driving it. Although it was not a 2018, I just don't see how any changes would be enough to transform that rather bland vehicle.

Test drove a 2018 SQ5 last week and I was blown away. I had expected the ride to be busy and on the harsher side, but was totally wrong. Drove like a luxury SUV (one I drove had air suspension, Nappa leather among other options). I spec'd out a 2018 SQ5 with the salesman (msrp of ~$66K) and got a call this Friday that they had sourced the exact vehicle I was after. I should have it in about one month. Truth be told, I "hate" the fake exhaust - can't understand what the engineers were thinking here. However, that alone is not enough to offset the other positive attributes of the SQ5.

Negotiated a strong discount off msrp and will be leasing it. While Audi's MF's are not great, the RV was stunningly high (making up for the high MF) and Audi is still willing to do MSD's (I'll be doing 9). BTW, BMW had ceased doing MSD's on their leases, so that makes leasing a BMW less compelling than has been the case the last decade. Also, getting Audi loyalty rebate.

I was also considering the GLC43AMG. While optioned similarly to the SQ5 the msrp was in the same ballpark, the RV on the GLC43 is awful (a full 10 percentage points lower than on the SQ5). The RV alone causes the payment on the GLC43 to be $200 more than a comparably equipped SQ5 (similar reductions from msrp on both vehicles). Now, MB does have a much lower MF, but that only closes about 1/2 the payment gap (also with full MSD's).

So looks like I'll be getting the SQ5 this time around. FWIW, I am coming out of a Mercedes AMG sedan. Also, we will be selling our Range Rover Sport as my wife and I consolidate down two vehicles (the SQ5 and her S4). Only reason for having three vehicles in the past was because I would not drive my AMG in inclement weather.

Quick Reply: all new x3 announced.. looks like stiff competition for the audi