Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffdehr
I tried this with an Android phone as I wanted to use AA for Waze. The phone I was using was a Motorola Moto E. When I connected the Android phone via the USB AA started but the phone said it would run AA only on the phone, it could not display on the car. Not sure if it is because the phone is old (running Android 5.1) or because it does not have a data plan. I was hoping to use the wifi hotspot from the car for the Moto E and use my iPhone via Bluetooth for phone calls.
To fix this, start the AA app on the Android phone when you're not at all near your car and it's not on. You'll see AA phone mode. Go into the left panel menu, and select "Settings". Scroll down until you see "Phone Screen Settings" and click on the one that says "Autolaunch".

TURN OFF the "Autolaunch" switch at the very top, and that should solve what you're seeing.

What happened is that you inadvertently turned on the option for Android Auto to start up its phone only mode when it detects your BT connection with your Audi...
Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A couple of things here:

-- Android Auto should work properly with the other audio sources in your car. For example, you can listen to terrestrial or sat radio, and the MMI will mediate to let AA interrupt to provide driving directions or let the Assistant speak to you.

-- What you want is to use the Sirrus app to play their channels instead of using the car to avoid ads. Sirrus hasn't added Android Auto support to their app, but there's a developer who did some clever stuff to allow non-supported audio apps to work in Android Auto. You have to be a little tech-saavy with Android, but hopefully this isn't too complex. (The app isn't allowed to be in the Google Play Store unfortunately) Go read this, it tells you what to do, should be relatively simple to set up your sat radio app to work. https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-auto-t3607916

-- Finally, you seem to want to play music you've locally stored on your phone through AA. I haven't done much of this myself, but there are several local music player apps that are compatible. There's a hidden link to all of the Android Auto messaging and audio apps that are above a certain level of quality. It's here, go visit on a desktop browser signed into the same account as your phone, and you should be able to remotely install a couple of the apps to see which one works best for you. http://g.co/AndroidAuto

Originally Posted by montclair2525
Fantastic. Thanks for that!

Question: I like to listen to Sirius talk show broadcasts from the phone app in "restart show" mode, so I can skip the incessant commercials. I do this through the Bluetooth "Media" connection. I also like to use Waze through AA. When I'm running AA and switch MMI to Media, it disconnects AA. Is there a way to use both?

Question: I want to listen to concerts that I have stored on my phone. I usually do this through Bluetooth "Media." I've tried to access them through Play Music in AA, but I don't see an option for Music Library\Albums, like the Play Music App. Is there a way to listen to them when I have AA running?

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Bluetooth is only used for the Android Auto phone when it's actively on a call. Otherwise, BT isn't used at all. Audi's MMI allows for 2 phones to be connected, and it doesn't matter that one of them is also driving Android Auto through the USB port.
One more quick point on this: what you see on the screen and hear is actually streaming video and audio from the phone sent over the USB connection.

BT is used for telephony (meaning active phone calls) because of limitations of how your phone can route the cellular voice radio -- it can only go over BT, and cannot be directed over the wired USB connection AA uses.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more quick point on this: what you see on the screen and hear is actually streaming video and audio from the phone sent over the USB connection.

BT is used for telephony (meaning active phone calls) because of limitations of how your phone can route the cellular voice radio -- it can only go over BT, and cannot be directed over the wired USB connection AA uses.
AA plays music over BT from what I've seen. If I turn BT off music won't play from my phone so it would imply audio is streamed.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So what app can you use ILO GooglePlay to scroll though your playlists while using AA?

Can you help a brutha out here, AR? You are the brofessor of this kinda stuff... help me man!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paperbridge
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that bluetooth *calling* does continue to work while AA is active.

My primary phone is an iPhone but I have a dedicated Android phone plugged in for AA. I am still able to use bluetooth to make/receive calls on my iPhone.
I'm interested in this setup. I have a company iPhone but I would like to have Google Maps on MMI screen. Do you use your iPhone's as a hot spot for the Android phone's data connection?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of things here:

-- Android Auto should work properly with the other audio sources in your car. For example, you can listen to terrestrial or sat radio, and the MMI will mediate to let AA interrupt to provide driving directions or let the Assistant speak to you.

-- What you want is to use the Sirrus app to play their channels instead of using the car to avoid ads. Sirrus hasn't added Android Auto support to their app, but there's a developer who did some clever stuff to allow non-supported audio apps to work in Android Auto. You have to be a little tech-saavy with Android, but hopefully this isn't too complex. (The app isn't allowed to be in the Google Play Store unfortunately) Go read this, it tells you what to do, should be relatively simple to set up your sat radio app to work. https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-auto-t3607916

-- Finally, you seem to want to play music you've locally stored on your phone through AA. I haven't done much of this myself, but there are several local music player apps that are compatible. There's a hidden link to all of the Android Auto messaging and audio apps that are above a certain level of quality. It's here, go visit on a desktop browser signed into the same account as your phone, and you should be able to remotely install a couple of the apps to see which one works best for you. http://g.co/AndroidAuto
Brilliant, Scoopman. XDA rocks! I downloaded AnyAutoAudio, chose SiriusXM and the LG resident Music app from it's listing of music apps. Now I can control SiriusXM and my concert recordings with Android Auto AND navigate with Waze at the same time! Youdaman!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
AA plays music over BT from what I've seen. If I turn BT off music won't play from my phone so it would imply audio is streamed.
Trust me, I worked on the product. Sound is not sent over A2DP.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
So what app can you use ILO GooglePlay to scroll though your playlists while using AA?

Can you help a brutha out here, AR? You are the brofessor of this kinda stuff... help me man!
Again I don't do much of this myself (I use Spotify, you can download playlists of stuff and use it offline to minimize data usage which is what I do), but I would investigate:

-- Some of the apps at http://g.co/AndroidAuto such as RocketPlayer and JetAudio HD

-- PowerAmp is supposedly really good, but has no AA support. However, it should work well if you install and set it up with AnyAutoAudio https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-auto-t3607916
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by U-2
I'm interested in this setup. I have a company iPhone but I would like to have Google Maps on MMI screen. Do you use your iPhone's as a hot spot for the Android phone's data connection?
Yes, I use my iPhone as a hotspot for the Android phone which has no SIM.

Quick Reply: Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?