Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate some help on this because I am obviously doing something wrong

I basically have the same setup - primary phone is company iPhone and I have Android for AA/ Google Maps. They are both plugged into USB ports on my 2017 Audi A4.

When the iPhone is sole connection - the phone connects via bluetooth and I get all my contacts from my iPhone. However, as soon as the Android (Moto E4) is connected and AA enabled, the MMI drop the BT connection to my iPhone and won't then reconnect and the Android becomes the only phone known to the MMI

What I really want is to be able to use the iPhone as my phone or at least to be able to receive calls via the iPhone which this threads seems to suggest is possible but whatever I do, I can't get this work.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe I have fixed my Android Auto random disconnection issue, so will share the steps I took in the hope it will help others. I am not sure which of the steps below (if not all) addressed this issue, as they were all done prior to trying it out.....but since completion of these steps, I have not had a single random disconnect in 2 days of driving (was experiencing every 5min before). Also, these steps are specific to my Galaxy s8, so if you have another device, you may have to vary your approach.

1. Disabled "Fast cable charging" under: settings - device maintenance - battery (click icon at bottom) - advanced settings (click 3 dots at top to see this option).

2. Disabled Battery Optimization for Spotify. I already had battery optimization disabled for Android Auto & Waze, so adding Spotify covered all the apps I use in Android Auto (if you use other apps in AA, I would suggest you disable this for them too). This was done under: setting - apps - special access (click 3 dots to see option) - optimize battery usage - toggle "Apps not optimized" to "All apps", then scroll down and turn off the apps used in Android Auto.

3. Switched my usb connection in my car to the port closer to the driver side. I have a 2018 A5 SB, which has 2 usb port connections (assume all other b9 models share this).

The random disconnection issue was driving me crazy, so hope these steps can alleviate others' pain with this major annoyance!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_D
I believe I have fixed my Android Auto random disconnection issue, so will share the steps I took in the hope it will help others. I am not sure which of the steps below (if not all) addressed this issue, as they were all done prior to trying it out.....but since completion of these steps, I have not had a single random disconnect in 2 days of driving (was experiencing every 5min before). Also, these steps are specific to my Galaxy s8, so if you have another device, you may have to vary your approach.

1. Disabled "Fast cable charging" under: settings - device maintenance - battery (click icon at bottom) - advanced settings (click 3 dots at top to see this option).

2. Disabled Battery Optimization for Spotify. I already had battery optimization disabled for Android Auto & Waze, so adding Spotify covered all the apps I use in Android Auto (if you use other apps in AA, I would suggest you disable this for them too). This was done under: setting - apps - special access (click 3 dots to see option) - optimize battery usage - toggle "Apps not optimized" to "All apps", then scroll down and turn off the apps used in Android Auto.

3. Switched my usb connection in my car to the port closer to the driver side. I have a 2018 A5 SB, which has 2 usb port connections (assume all other b9 models share this).

The random disconnection issue was driving me crazy, so hope these steps can alleviate others' pain with this major annoyance!
Thanks for the update. These will be helpful steps for others to try if they run into a similar issue.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by scoopman
Android Auto can be set to automatically launch when plugged in. It's a very easy option once you enable its "Developer Mode." Here's what you do:

1. Without having the phone plugged in to your car, run the Android Auto app. Open the side panel menu > "About"

2. Then click the "About Android Auto" title at the top 10 times rapidly. You'll see a toast on the screen that the Developer Mode is now enabled.

3. Once it is, click on the far-right "|" 3-dot menu, and choose "Developer Settings" (you only see this menu option after enabling Developer Mode).

4. The two options you definitely want to check on for Audi cars are:

-- "Request video focus on start" <-- This will auto-start Android Auto without having to do anything first on your MMI screen! Just plug in phone and it starts and switches to AA on the screen.

-- "Allow 720p video output" <-- This will enable Android Auto to fill the full width of your big 8" center screen with info, instead of the black sides that you see by default

I sorta know lots about Android Auto if you have other questions -- hope this helps.
Hi,

1. in my Samsung galaxy s10 [android 9] I can not find request video do us on start nor Allow 720 video output.

2. When I am using pandora or audible sound play well then stops and resumes very friquently. It was not the case with my previous phone galaxy s8. Any advise?

Could you please help. Thank you
Old 04-04-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts

I see that this is an older post so I have a quick question to ask in case things have changed. There is also a option to select 1080. Is that new and should I pick it?

Thanks for this useful post.

John

Originally Posted by scoopman
Android Auto can be set to automatically launch when plugged in. It's a very easy option once you enable its "Developer Mode." Here's what you do:

1. Without having the phone plugged in to your car, run the Android Auto app. Open the side panel menu > "About"

2. Then click the "About Android Auto" title at the top 10 times rapidly. You'll see a toast on the screen that the Developer Mode is now enabled.

3. Once it is, click on the far-right "|" 3-dot menu, and choose "Developer Settings" (you only see this menu option after enabling Developer Mode).

4. The two options you definitely want to check on for Audi cars are:

-- "Request video focus on start" <-- This will auto-start Android Auto without having to do anything first on your MMI screen! Just plug in phone and it starts and switches to AA on the screen.

-- "Allow 720p video output" <-- This will enable Android Auto to fill the full width of your big 8" center screen with info, instead of the black sides that you see by default

I sorta know lots about Android Auto if you have other questions -- hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Since this thread got bumped, I can easily switch to Carplay by clicking the left toggle button down twice (it selects telephone on the first click and the second goes right to CarPlay). Hope that helps some folks!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I see that this is an older post so I have a quick question to ask in case things have changed. There is also a option to select 1080. Is that new and should I pick it?

Thanks for this useful post.

John
Things have changed of late -- Android Auto will now automatically negotiate with your car and pick the highest resolution. You can also select the 1080 option as I detailed earlier but it won't make a difference for our Audis.

For some other vehicles, selecting 1080 will help AA show its new widescreen support, which unfortunately isn't supported on our screens.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alex Babushkin
Hi,

1. in my Samsung galaxy s10 [android 9] I can not find request video do us on start nor Allow 720 video output.

2. When I am using pandora or audible sound play well then stops and resumes very friquently. It was not the case with my previous phone galaxy s8. Any advise?

Could you please help. Thank you
Re #1, it sounds like you haven't enabled developer mode. Please re-read my instructions to enable developer mode.

Re #2, is it only happening with these apps? Perhaps you should try and ensure they are not being "optimized" by your phone for battery life and potentially shut down. see here: https://www.techrepublic.com/article...mization-list/
Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave_D

Samsung seems to do lots of non-standard stuff to "help" and "add value"..... I don't think #3 should make any difference here, so long as there isn't any physical issue with one of the USB ports in your car.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skellei
Would appreciate some help on this because I am obviously doing something wrong

I basically have the same setup - primary phone is company iPhone and I have Android for AA/ Google Maps. They are both plugged into USB ports on my 2017 Audi A4.

When the iPhone is sole connection - the phone connects via bluetooth and I get all my contacts from my iPhone. However, as soon as the Android (Moto E4) is connected and AA enabled, the MMI drop the BT connection to my iPhone and won't then reconnect and the Android becomes the only phone known to the MMI

What I really want is to be able to use the iPhone as my phone or at least to be able to receive calls via the iPhone which this threads seems to suggest is possible but whatever I do, I can't get this work.
Part of the AA spec for automakers is that only the Android Auto phone can be paired up over BT -- while Audi is capable of a primary and secondary BT phone both connected up, any other phone is dropped when AA is active.

Quick Reply: Any CarPlay/Android Auto shortcut?