Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone else not crazy about the rear and taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by foxonwheels
Just curious if anybody else out there thinks the back is a bit... Boring? Particularly for the SQ5. The front grille, headlights, and hood are a masterpiece, but the back pales in comparison as I see it. The tail lights remind me of strappy ladies wear, and the fake exhaust tips are the icing on the cake.

​​​​​​​I look at the Q7 rear and it oozes style. Maybe someone can help me see the SQ5's bum in a different light?
Actually, I kind of like both of them . But now that I look closely, the Q5 is kind of a "bubble butt"
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else not crazy about the rear and taillights?-img_1628.jpg  
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cakasky
I was told of some back history that was interesting about these second pair of rear turn lights. In short, the US laws prohibit turn lights on the rear hatch that can move. So Audi simply got around this by adding a second pair of turn lights that are active when the rear hatch is open.

Here is the article I read about it.

Anyways I thought it was kind of nifty and a neat thing to learn about Audi.
I wonder why they feel the need to have the rear lights solely on the hatch and not split like other car makers. Is there any advantage to this? The bottom row looks cheap to me like a Kia :/

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Actually, I kind of like both of them . But now that I look closely, the Q5 is kind of a "bubble butt"
​​​​​​​Bubble butt! That's a great description for my overall feelings.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxonwheels
I wonder why they feel the need to have the rear lights solely on the hatch and not split like other car makers. Is there any advantage to this? The bottom row looks cheap to me like a Kia :/
No, a Kia looks worse (former owner). I like how the tail lights are only on the hatch and not split between the trunk it gives a cleaner look.

Bubble butt! That's a great description for my overall feelings.
​​​​​​​It's your money, so if you are keen on the looks that's up to you. I personally like the way it's shaped, it gives the SUV a unique personality unlike the average boring ones out there.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a designer by any means and my apologizes as I do not have Photo Shop on this machine so the representation is not correct, but I think the SQ5 may looks better w/out being visually connected to each other - and intern not look so "fake"

-vs

Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

I find the SQ5 rear very sexy. Maybe it's just me. Real exhaust tips wouldn't look as good as the fake ones. It's a bummer that these are fake but they look great!
The ones on the Q7 are also fake. The only difference is that the real exhaust pipes are hidden inside.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
​​​​​​​It's your money, so if you are keen on the looks that's up to you. I personally like the way it's shaped, it gives the SUV a unique personality unlike the average boring ones out there.
My sentiments exactly.
"Bubble butt" was my wife's name for her 2013 TTS which in my opinion is one of the sexiest designs in Audi's line up. So use of that term is with all due respect .
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
My sentiments exactly.
"Bubble butt" was my wife's name for her 2013 TTS which in my opinion is one of the sexiest designs in Audi's line up. So use of that term is with all due respect .
I would like to get a TTRS some day because they are sharp looking. Right now a SUV is more suiting for my needs, maybe a future RS7 for myself and a SQ5 for the wife. I've always enjoyed Audi's styling, simple yet beautiful.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

This shows well the hotness of the SQ5's rear.