AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   Anyone else think the 2.0TFSI sounds like a tractor engine? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/anyone-else-think-2-0tfsi-sounds-like-tractor-engine-2947085/)

soguy12 04-12-2018 09:34 PM

Anyone else think the 2.0TFSI sounds like a tractor engine?

I have the 2.0TFSI, and whenever I climb hills, or accelerate at a medium pace from a stop, the car sounds like a tractor engine, very loud buzzing noise, can hear each individual cylinder struggling,

Something wrong with my car?

2018 2.0TFSI

Wires 04-13-2018 05:07 PM

That is the by-product of a 2.0 L engine. (unfortunately).

umdstu 04-14-2018 05:45 AM

I haven't noticed that myself. Prestige with the acoustic glass though maybe that's blocking it.

2018_SQ5 04-14-2018 06:42 AM

Mine sounds freaking awesome... oh yea it's the 3.0 L turbo :D

Wires 04-14-2018 07:05 AM

Smaller displacement / number cylinder engines need to rev higher to get power, and have less cylinders to smooth out the ripples in power.

The Audi 3.0 is insanely smooth for a 6-cylinder (smoother/quieter than any vehicle I've owned). When we test drove the Q5 with the 2.0, you do hear it work harder.

carkarl 04-14-2018 09:49 AM

Are you talking about at low RPM? Are you in "D" mode in the transmission? If so, try shifting into "S" mode and see if your complaint about the sound goes away. It will usually choose a lower gear and keep the RPMs up a bit more in this mode.

Current Audis in "D" shift mode will definitely load up the 2.0T engine at much lower RPMs than I would have chosen with a manual transmission. There is torque down there due to the turbo, but the sound reminds me of what I would call "lugging" and I would normally choose a lower gear to avoid that. But, I am getting used to it, and aside from this worry about lugging I think it's a worthwhile trade-off for the overall quieter drive and the better fuel economy.

I just hope the knock sensors and engine management are smart enough not to be causing any damage from these low RPM grunting sessions.

Wires 04-14-2018 12:04 PM

It's basically "impossible" to harm the engine in these vehicles under conditions like you are describing. It will downshift, open the wastegate to dump boost, close the throttle, add more fuel, etc to ensure the engine doesn't exceed any operating conditions.

The 3.0 feels like similar at lower RPM's, but its more of a lazy throttle mapping (you need to press harder on the petal to make it do anything) for fuel economy than actual "lugging" the engine. If it was lugging, it would downshift for you. When you drive in S, the mapping is a lot more responsive to the petal than D so it just feels more perky. If you prefer to drive in D, you can buy those petal boxes that changes the curve of the throttle so you can get that S type response from the petal running in D.

Badger56 04-14-2018 03:44 PM

No

Audigy76 04-15-2018 07:11 AM

mine sounds like a tractor with flapping sound during cold start each time, particularly loud but goes off just after the engine rev below 1K. not sure why but its a daily ritual!

Wires 04-15-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Audigy76 (Post 25138795)
mine sounds like a tractor with flapping sound during cold start each time, particularly loud but goes off just after the engine rev below 1K. not sure why but its a daily ritual!

When the engine first starts, the waste gate opens to shunt air around the turbo, so you are hearing the actual engine output (not muffled through the turbo), After ~30 seconds, the waste gate closes, and the sound diminishes.