Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone have issues with power windows?

Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have issues with power windows?

On my SQ5, if I have a window that’s partially down (e.g., open 50%) and I hit the button to close the window via the auto-close button (clicking to the second decent), the window will fully open / go down instead of up / close. I can’t reproduce it but it’s happened at 4-5 times on all windows. And it’s def random and not consistent.

Anyone else have have this issue?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolio
On my SQ5, if I have a window that’s partially down (e.g., open 50%) and I hit the button to close the window via the auto-close button (clicking to the second decent), the window will fully open / go down instead of up / close. I can’t reproduce it but it’s happened at 4-5 times on all windows. And it’s def random and not consistent.

Out of curiosity are your windows tinted? I have experience the same issue but only after I had my windows tinted. In my case I would assume it is an issue with the film being too thick and the safety pressure sensor is being activated thinking something is in the way of the window. I have the llumar formula one stratos tint. The place I had my windows tinted told me it was going to take 7 days for it to dry because the film was thicker than normal tint.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolio

Once in a while I have the same issue. It's really frustrating when that happens on highway or during heavy rain.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run into this a few times and haven't pinpointed what the issue is either. I think it may also be something with the pressure sensor system.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Power Window Bug

Koolio,

Your not the only one that noticed this issue. I have a 2018 Q5 and I believe it's a software related bug. I also had my windows down part way (~50%), then went to fully close them by pulling back on the 2nd button, and they would open vs closing like your instinct tells you they should. This has also happened at least 4 times for me (more i'm sure the longer I own the vehicle). At first I gave it the benefit of the doubt that possibly I didn't pull back to the 2nd button and instead pushed to the 2nd button to cause this to happen; but it is definitely a confirmed bug on my vehicle.

I haven't confirmed this with the other windows either (Passenger and the rear windows), this only showed up on my driver's side. Then again i'm the only logic engineer to realize there's a bug in my software (wife maybe not so much).

Would be nice to try and reproduce this as i'm not sure what parameters cause it (seems pretty random), but i'm not always opening/closing my windows every time I get in/out. Would also be useful to know what MMI version we are running and what is currently available as there may already be a fix?

-Steve
Old 04-10-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same issue a few times. Can't replicate it.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Me too. 2018 Q5. Capricious window, can't replicate.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also encountered this. I suspect it could be 1 of 3 things: 1) it's a software bug (easy fix) 2) there's debris in the window track triggering pinch protection (most likely) or 3) the window regulator is failing (I hope this isn't the case, but older VWs have a long, painful history with bad window regulators... this sporadic behavior is unfortunately a symptom of a looming failure).

I hope it's not the window regulator.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windctyaudi
Out of curiosity are your windows tinted? I have experience the same issue but only after I had my windows tinted. In my case I would assume it is an issue with the film being too thick and the safety pressure sensor is being activated thinking something is in the way of the window. I have the llumar formula one stratos tint. The place I had my windows tinted told me it was going to take 7 days for it to dry because the film was thicker than normal tint.
Nope.

Based on everyone's responses, sounds like it’s a software bug. Hope they fix it and issue an update at sometime.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also encountered the same....and it's sporadic. Glad I'm not the only one.

-tgt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with power windows?