Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Is anyone using Carista ? This is fun stuff !

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone using Carista ? This is fun stuff !

Guys

I have been playing with the Beta Carista App on IOS and making OBD changes in my 2019 SQ5. I am not sure where the best place would be to have this thread but its interesting enough that a-lot of people would be into it I think ?

I am using a OBD Blue tooth module I bought for my M5 called Veepeak and it works fine. Carista has their own module and it shows it supports some other modules but it works great with Veepeak as well.

The App does take about 5 mins upon first connection to make changes which I hope will get faster over time. This is beta but I have done some playing around.

So the first thing I changed was the Auto Stop start function and coded that to off which worked perfectly. I then removed the seat belt warning chime which I think there was an option to not only turn it off but maybe change duration. I have to check this.

I have been trying to get the FOGS to stay on during high beam but that function isn't working right. The option is there but they still go off when I turn on the brights.

I have a prestige with the LED colored interior lights and he even has an option called DISCO which changed the interior lighting colors in a cycle while the car is on. It cycles through all colors and then back around. Its cute but probably not an option I will keep on. I suggested to him to make it controlled with more of a timer function if possible so they change real slow so it wouldn't be distracting.

I also enabled an option tonight that I cant believe is actually built into the SQ5 and thats to automatically unlock the door locks when the key is close. Audi does not have this as an option in the MMI but guess what it works ! Its actually cool and I think I am going to try this for a few week. Funny my mazda CX5 has the option to auto lock the door when you walk away but my audi thats 3X the price cant do this

Let me know if anyone else is using Carista or if there is an alternate easy to use app that allows OBD changes super easy and if anyone has gotten their fogs to stay on with bright lights ?

More to follow

Craig
Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Is your coding for the Auto Stop start function the same method as for ODBEleven:

(08) > Adaptation > A/C comfort parameter for start-stop function > (default) 5 > change to new value (0 = disable start/stop)

I know that the terminology or menu structure might be different, but the method is fooling the car into thinking there is an A/C demand so it doesn't shut off the car. The way to test this is to shut off the climate control system and come to a stop. The car will shut off even with the programming since the climate control system must be on for this method to work.

In concept, I like the idea of automatically unlocking the door locks when the key is close. If I were to accidentally unlock it by being near (but not realize it), the car will automatically re-lock after a period of time (as long as a door hasn't been opened). But I'd worry that the car is unprotected for this amount of time - and I may be visually away from it.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, I've used Carista for a while. I got it back when they still offered a one time purchase Pro version. I believe now you have to pay a subscription or pay for limited time full use. There's another similar app you may wanna check out. It's called Carly. The long startup and generally sluggish performance of Carista is due to Bluetooth bandwidth restrictions and will only get faster with newer Bluetooth versions in the future that will require new hardware. Carly's adapter uses a WiFi connection, so it's much faster and has similar diagnostics and customization capabilities.

https://www.mycarly.com/
Old 04-29-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

funny that you brought this up. i have used Carista in the past (still have my adapter) and was just on their site last week looking to see if Customizations were available for the 2nd gen SQ5. i missed the Beta info at the top of the page, but i just signed up a few min ago thanks to your post. i am really looking forward to a permanent solution to deactivate the stop/start without having to leave an OBD2 tool attached to the port in the car.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Is your coding for the Auto Stop start function the same method as for ODBEleven:

(08) > Adaptation > A/C comfort parameter for start-stop function > (default) 5 > change to new value (0 = disable start/stop)
they offer 2 methods. the first one is the hack you described above. the 2nd uses the ambient temp hack. i enabled both in the app and will test it when i drive the car later.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

i was able to explore a nice suite of updates. here is what i changed so far using Carista:
  • auto on/off disabled using AC hack
  • warning noise for seatbelts disabled. this thing is deafening. i am single and always wear a belt. it just sometimes takes me a minute to get situated in the car before the chime starts going off.
  • enabled carbon fiber background on the display - this didn't seem to work so i need to send feedback for the Beta
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The Carista iOS app has had a number of updates recently, with a lot of supported options. Their focus this summer seems to be A4/A5/Q5/SQ5. (Heated seat levels still pending though.)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is the first time I've heard of this device/app and would be interested in using it for my A5, and sorry for the noob questions. Is this something I need to leave plugged in at all times? If I were to just use the weekly pass (or 1-month free trial), make a few initial customizations and the pass expires, do the settings remain as I left them? Just trying to decide if it's worth getting the annual pass, or just pay for the weekly one on an as-needed basis.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bObaBaLLa
This is the first time I've heard of this device/app and would be interested in using it for my A5, and sorry for the noob questions. Is this something I need to leave plugged in at all times? If I were to just use the weekly pass (or 1-month free trial), make a few initial customizations and the pass expires, do the settings remain as I left them? Just trying to decide if it's worth getting the annual pass, or just pay for the weekly one on an as-needed basis.
This is the Q5 forum vs A5, but no you do not need to leave attached and mods are retained after your subscription expires. Another alternative and albeit more robust option is OBD11 - https://obdeleven.com/en/
Old 08-07-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
This is the Q5 forum vs A5, but no you do not need to leave attached and mods are retained after your subscription expires. Another alternative and albeit more robust option is OBD11 - https://obdeleven.com/en/
Thanks for the answer and OBD11 suggestion, even though my question pertained to an A5 and not a Q5/SQ5 (looking to pick up a Q5/SQ5 later on this year so was browsing this forum).