Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

An Armrest Storage Solution-Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts
Default An Armrest Storage Solution-Retrofit

Armrest Storage Solution-Retrofit:

Well, maybe not really a "solution" as that wrongfully implies Audi's armrest storage setup is a problem. But for me, I knew I wouldn't be able to adjust to Audi’s arguably quirky armrest storage configuration. So I worked out the design for a revised storage compartment in my head while I waited for my new sled to get released from that odd brake safety recall [what the heck was that?]. Below I've posted photos and comments as to how it all went together. You might want to just scroll thru the photos and skip the narratives, which I include for anyone interested in the details of this mod.

Step 1 - Tray removal: Not difficult. I just used a stiff putty knife as a pry tool to expand the space between the tray and the console - just enough to free the tray from the guide rails in the sides of the console (one at a time). It takes a good pry but fortunately the strong Audi build of the console is up to it (leaving no markings in the process). Tool: Pry tool. Time: 60-90 seconds

Step 2 - Cut out storage box sides & front wall, plus 3 cross braces: I used 1/2” foam insulation board from HD to first rough out the shape of the 3 walls of the storage box. It's those pieces that make up the storage box that fit snugly into the square storage cavity. The stiff foam board made it easy to configure - and reconfigure - the shape and dimensions of the various components that ended up as my prototype for the storage box. I then used the form board template pieces to cut the 6 box components from two planks of 1/4” wood. Materials: Two 1/4" x 24" Poplar ‘Hobby Wood” planks from HD ($8); Tools: Skill Saw; Belt Sander (used extensively in this mod to shave edges to spec); coping saw; Time: Working out/configuring storage box prototype-template: 4 hours; Cutting pieces: 1.0 hr

Step 3 - Storage Box Assembled: Before gluing, I did a dry run assembly of the box sitting in the square ‘storage cavity’ which functioned as a holding frame for the box. I placed the 3 walls of the box in the cavity and then wedged in the 3 cross braces to effectively fashion a sturdy and fully formed storage box prior to gluing it together. I then disassembled the box, prepped the storage cavity with tape to protect it from glue spillage, and glued all the pieces of the box together one after another in that cavity. The cross braces pressed the storage box walls against the cavity walls to act as clamps while the glue dried. Materials: Gorilla Glue - Clear (non-foam expanding, 2 hr set time); Time: .5 hrs

Step 4 - Rounded off Corners, Sanded, Primed & Painted: Next, I took off the sharp edges all around and rounded the vertical corners of the front wall. Inside and outside of walls: I sanded, spray primed them, then applied 2 coats of sprayed gloss, sanding between coats. Exterior walls: I gave them a final spray of black gloss in prep for faux leather covering. Interior walls: I color matched the gray color of the plastic cup holder area, thinned the paint (3-1 ratio), and applied it using a "refillable" hobby paint sprayer" from HD. Sprays on much thicker than a rattle can, so had to be wary of runs...but otherwise it performed better than expected. Two coats to get a smooth finish. Materials: Spray paint (x2 $12); HD Behr sample size (pint) of latex satin, adjusting the Behr color "Nightclub" ($5); Tools: Refillable Paint sprayer ($10); Time: 1 hour sanding, 1 hour paint application (2 days dry time between sanding coats).

Step 5 - Applied Faux Leather to Exterior: I found a roll of self-adhesive faux leather on Amazon. I made a form fitting template using construction paper that I wrapped around the 3 sides and then traced out the cut lines. This became my template to ensure a good form fit of the faux material to the face and two sides of the box. Sides only partially needed covering - rest is hidden when box goes into the storage cavity. After the material was cut to shape, I took off the backing to expose the adhesive and laid it out flat on the table. I then aligned the face of the box and pressed it down onto the material, followed by folding the material around the sides and using a flag edge to smooth out any wrinkles. Final step was to fold the material onto the boxes top edges and then shave off all excess faux material using a razor blade. Finally, I painted the Faux Leather, color matching the color of the console (rolling on 2 coats of latex eggshell satin); Materials: Self Adhesive Faux leather ($26); 1 pint of latex eggshell-stain ($5); Time: 4 hrs (template making, material application, trimming, painting)

Step 6 - Constructed and installed 3 plexiglass storage bins. The top bin has 3 compartments to hold daily & as-needed RX/OTC meds and vitamins. . . many of which I have to take w/ meals - typically breakfast and/or lunch on the road. Below that I put in a shelf to hold various items I frequently use. A third bin holds note cards so I no longer scribble ph numbers and what not on paper napkins (also holds a parking permit). Cuts were made with a tool for scoring plexiglass (snap off along the scored line). Glue was actually a special solvent applied along the 90 degree joints using a small 'needle' applicator (so edges are welded, not glued). Difficult part was not getting that solvent on the plexiglass; you can’t just wipe it off (it instantly mars the surface). I made a 4th bin for coins using the rear cross brace. Materials: Plexiglass sheets (3), 3/16” x 12" x 12" ($27); plexiglass solvent ($9); Tools: Plexiglass scoring knife ($13).Time: 4-5 hours (several do-overs due to solvent marks, scratches, etc. ugg!)

Step 7: Constructed Phone Docking Caddy (charger-data): I purchased and canabalized 2 desktop magnetic Dock Charging Stations...one from which I extracted just the female magnetic port assembly; the other, which had the base constructed in 2 pieces, provided me a smaller base part to act as the anchor for the magnetic port/connector. I chose this base because its shape, specifically its 1.5” raised back, provided a surface area to fasten that base to the back side of the plexiglass phone caddy. The caddy was made using a heat gun to bend 2 sides of rectangular piece of plexiglass to form the 3 sides of the caddy. I then glued on a back plate. Materials: 2 Magnetic Dock Charging Stations ($26); Tools: Heat Gun ($40)Time: 10 hours (includes approx 2 hrs of glue drying and going thru a few prototypes)

Step 8: Configured / installed ‘false bottom’ floor: The black plexiglass floor was glued onto two of the cross supports to create a space below it that hides the USB cabling. I removed the original storage container rubber mat prior to installing the storage box unit - but have on order a non-skid material to be cut and placed on the plexiglass floor. Prior to gluing on the floor, I cut out a slot in that plexiglass floor so the charging base can be recessed and hidden by the floor. The final step of this retrofit project was to fasten the plexiglass phone caddy to the storage box wall with two sided adhesive tape.

Here are some photos of the storage compartment in it's new home:

Misc Comments: (i) I made sure that none of the original storage components were altered or impacted - the entire storage box, although snug in the cavity, easily lifts out; (ii) the depth of the box was set to the height I wanted the armrest to be when it's closed - so no need to ratchet it to desired height after opening/closing; (iii) my S7 phone sits in the caddy flush with the box top edge/ armrest lid. It's all good for me now. And the phone dock/caddy was a real plus for me. Before, I didn't use Android Auto because of my animus toward having to interact with a USB cable 4-8 times a day; not to mention the unslightly look USB cabling can foster. So AA is now a big part of my driving experience. Really enjoying audio books for the first time - nice on those longer commutes.

Even though I am fine with the tradeoffs of a 'function over form' design, I'm working on Ver. 2.0. Thinking if maybe a 3D printing of the box frame is possible; or maybe going 100% fiberglass instead of wood. Also thinking of making front wall slightly convex and maybe finding a closer match of the console surface pattern.

Feel free to weigh in with any questions or suggestions.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
craig92563 (04-03-2021)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a magnificent job!
Definitely an improvement over the original.
I particularly like that you set the height to accommodate not having to
ratchet back up the armrest to the desired position after opening.
Outstanding job. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Now people that is THE standard set for posting modifications on this site.
Well done Jaims on your very detailed post and sharing your ideas with us.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

great job, great writeup.

My only questions are a) how much and b) paypal or e-transfer?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like everything about it BUT.....

You are crazy if you are really going to keep pills (gel in particular) in the center arm rest. It's going to melt and become a block. Probably leak downward too.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jester7677
I like everything about it BUT.....

You are crazy if you are really going to keep pills (gel in particular) in the center arm rest. It's going to melt and become a block. Probably leak downward too.
Actually, I've stored these gels in the armrest storage of my prior two autos over the last 9 years with no such issues; including vacation stints in Las Vegas 110 degree heat, where the inside approach surface of the sun temps. They are Vitamin D gels that really are quite bullet proof.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

I especially like the phone caddy setup. Even without the data connection, it is a good use of space. If you get the 3D printing going, you're going to have a good side business. It would be great to have a dozen designs, choose one and print....
Old 08-12-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I especially like the phone caddy setup. Even without the data connection, it is a good use of space. If you get the 3D printing going, you're going to have a good side business. It would be great to have a dozen designs, choose one and print....
Agreed that there is plenty of functionality even without the phone caddy.

If anyone is intereseted in giving this mod a go, I can post a template of the pieces with exact measurements (on graph paper which accurately depicts the non-linear sides). FWIW, about 40% of my time in this project was getting the pieces measured to form fit.

Insofar as the interior storage bins, the ways to easily configure the space is almost limitless. You could, for example, take one or more small plastic containers - preferably square - cut it down to size and afix it to the side of the wall to use as a storage bin. I actually tried this - bought a couple square shaped vitamin containers. But ended opting for the higher fun value of playing with plexiglass. You tube has a lot of great instructional videos. Learned a lot from those .

Itching to explore the 3D printing route. The basic shape of the box would seem to be ideal for a 3D printer. In what little I have read up about 3D printing, its expanding rapdily into the consumer market (vs industrial applications). It would be cool if I got one configured and then anyone could just order it prefabbed (just wrap the faux leather around it - or not).
Old 08-13-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
Actually, I've stored these gels in the armrest storage of my prior two autos over the last 9 years with no such issues; including vacation stints in Las Vegas 110 degree heat, where the inside approach surface of the sun temps. They are Vitamin D gels that really are quite bullet proof.
Really? Wow, ok then. Imagine if someone did that with fish oil?

Don't get me wrong, admirable work for sure.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jaims - would be extremely interested if you can post the template. Got the sliding tray out a while back but have been living with the exposed plastic insert and open view of the console contents.

Regarding the vitamins though - probably safe to take but don't they lose efficacy with heat and humidity?

Quick Reply: An Armrest Storage Solution-Retrofit