Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Care true cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What about purchasing Audi Care with a car that is modded or tuned?

Are there any implications? Will Audi still provide the maintenance even if your car is tuned without issues?
Old 06-16-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bzcat
If you are not leasing, the potential saving that comes from Audi Care is very marginal, if any. That's all I'm saying. If you like prepaying for service, that's fine and you can roll it into your loan and pay it every month as well. Nothing wrong with it. But to get the maximum benefit of Audi Care, you need to lease and do it as part of the lease, not after the fact.
^This.

I added it on my '18 SQ5 lease and it increased the residual value by $660. Audi care ended up costing me around $230 net. I considered that a complete no-brainer.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
^This.

I added it on my '18 SQ5 lease and it increased the residual value by $660. Audi care ended up costing me around $230 net. I considered that a complete no-brainer.
I’d agree, maybe, if you use an Indy mechanic or DIY. For the rest of us, it’s still a no brainer. I work for Audi. I get a generous discount I doing so. But I also work 70 ish ish hours a week so my time, and my desire,
to work on my own car is zero. If I add up my employee costs for the schedule service on my S4, vs AudiCare, it’s easily worthwhile from an economic standpoint and a time standpoint
Old 06-24-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
I recently went in for my 10k mile service which is free. I asked how much the 20k would be and they gave me a written quote for $425 which includes oil change, dust filter, and lubrication of doors, sunroof, etc. This seems ridculously high to me. Audi dealer is 30 miles away. VW dealer 1 mile away will do oil change, inspection, etc for $89. I can change dust/pollen filter myself.

Audi encouraged me to get Audi Care for $869 which covers next 4 visits (20k, 30k, 40k, 50k) which equals $217 per visit. Any real reason to pay $217 at Audi vs $89 at VW?
There is a VW dealer 2 miles away from my home, do you think VW is qualify enough to do the maintenance and service for audi's car?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml

My service advisor printed the invoices for 20k, 30k, 40k, and 50k services. Totaled over $1800, so I purchased AudiCare. I drive about 20k per year. My 40k service is later this month. Even if you drive less, it protects you from price increases in labor and parts.
That math doesn't quite skew to AudiCare. You only get (2) TWO 10K services per AudiCare charge of $999. So that totals $2000 for 20k, 30k, 40k, and 50K. If you were invoiced $1800, then AudiCare costs $200 more.

And don't forget, this does not include PARTS!!!!! Like Battery, Plugs, filters, etc.

I think it might be better to put the money in the bank as a repair reserve and pay out as needed. This doesn't even cover things like brakes or other consumables.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by kbrkr
That math doesn't quite skew to AudiCare. You only get (2) TWO 10K services per AudiCare charge of $999. So that totals $2000 for 20k, 30k, 40k, and 50K. If you were invoiced $1800, then AudiCare costs $200 more.

And don't forget, this does not include PARTS!!!!! Like Battery, Plugs, filters, etc.

I think it might be better to put the money in the bank as a repair reserve and pay out as needed. This doesn't even cover things like brakes or other consumables.
There are 3 different levels of AudiCare.

The first AudiCare covers you for 4 years up and including the 50k service. And it does cover whatever items are required per the service intervals which includes filters among other things - including plugs of the interval calls for it

The second is slightly less than $999 for most models and covers the 60k and 70k service - whatever Audi says is needed for that interval short of wear items is covered.

The third level covers the 80k and 90k service.

If you do work yourself it doesn’t pay to get. If you have a good Indy shop it may or may not pay to get. But if you compare vs even a modest dealer cost for the service schedule, it easily pays for itself.

I get a generous discount on service since I work for the brand - and while I can do my own work, I simply don’t want to. AudiCare still made financial sense for me vs my other options
Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zclbobo
There is a VW dealer 2 miles away from my home, do you think VW is qualify enough to do the maintenance and service for audi's car?
There is a VW dealer about 5 miles from me. I called and talked to the service folks. At the point where he said that it didn't matter if I used spec 508/509 0-20 or not for my SQ5, I ended the conversation. He was arguing with me that any 0 -20 synthetic can be used in my car. He may be right, but my manual says 508/509 and with 10,000 miles on the car, I'm going to religiously follow Audi's recommendations. I would be very careful and really quiz VW folks before going there. Not saying they are not competent. Only saying that specs may be different between the brands.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by PanKleks
We just had a total loss of a brand spanking new 2018 Q5. Turns out that Audi does refund the unused portion of Audi Care in case of a crash (it pays to ask!). In our case (Audi Care was $869 MSRP) that meant 4 services after 10,000. When we got a check from Audi for $500 I called them why not the whole $869 that we paid. Audi explained that that's because the cost is $125 per service ($125*4=500) and that everything above is simply dealer's profit. So now you know how to negotiate that one as well .
Thank you for that! My 2016 Cabriolet was just totaled and I only got one service on it. Who did you call for the refund? The dealership I just bought my new Audi from were anything but helpful!
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm picking up a 2019 Q5 tomorrow. It will be my wife's DD and will average 8-10k miles per year. If I'm reading this correctly, this program is only covering 4 years? It is highly unlikely that this would require the trans fluid flush before the 4 years is up. Would seem to me that the $899 it would cost me after the $100 coupon discount would be a waste of money. I have a really good and fair indy that works on my X5 that only charge $79 for oil change too. Is this a hard pass for me?
The following users liked this post:
PensacolaSQ5 (03-11-2020)
Old 11-22-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
I'm picking up a 2019 Q5 tomorrow. It will be my wife's DD and will average 8-10k miles per year. If I'm reading this correctly, this program is only covering 4 years? It is highly unlikely that this would require the trans fluid flush before the 4 years is up. Would seem to me that the $899 it would cost me after the $100 coupon discount would be a waste of money. I have a really good and fair indy that works on my X5 that only charge $79 for oil change too. Is this a hard pass for me?
Is it sold as a 'new' vehicle? If so, Audi covers the 10K service. Audi Care covers the next 40K (up to 50K) which would cover the first tranny fluid change.

Quick Reply: Audi Care true cost