Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV
View Poll Results: Audi Care Worth Getting?
Yes
82.35%
No
17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

AudiCare worth it?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the "bold" decision to not get Audi Care. I spoke with one of the independent specialty shops, and also spoke with my Audi dealer. The Audi dealer was, frankly, unimpressive in selling the benefits of it to me. All of the costs covered by Audi Care are in essence being prepaid, at Audi dealer invoice prices. For me, after much thought - and, frankly, a bit of trepidation - I don't see it being worth it. It's of course an individual decision for everyone but I'm comfortable with my conclusion.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

I didn't buy it. I don't buy any of the things that the dealer tries to sell me when I buy a car. If I bought it all, the monthly payments would double.
The first thing this dealer tried to sell me was a tire hazard warranty, when he told me the replacement tires (Made just for Audi with the foam in side) were 500 bucks apiece.(not the wheels, just the tires) I stopped listening. I later looked them up and they were less than $200.00 and yes, the ones with the foam inside. Stuff like that is just a crap shoot. In my lifetime, (I am old) I have damaged two tires where I had to replace them. a 1973 Mazda and a 1988 Lincoln, So I am well ahead of the game.
You generally buy insurance for things you can't afford to fix, I can afford a tire.

Dealers generally get mad at you when you don't buy those add-ons when your in the finance office. I think they make more money there than they do selling you the car. But I do know that the Audi Care is pretty close to what you would pay at the dealer. I would just rather pay as I go and not add it on to my car loan. I had my last car for less than a year and less than 10,000 miles and never even had it serviced. So I would have lost on that one.

It is just a matter of choice and what your comfortable with. I know I went a little off topic.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, against most everything I've ever done, I did purchase Audi Care Select, which the dealer furnished at the same price as Audi Care. So this is "not" an extended warranty that I think are a waste of money. This is maintenance we all have to do, although if you do it yourself or find an independent dealer you probably will get a better price. However, for the next six-years, all my maintenance is covered, for less than $150 each service. That's tough to beat even at Independent dealers, although you could certainly do it yourself. However, at this stage in life, I decided to pull the trigger and just let them do it. I've done enough oil changes in my life-time
Old 02-05-2019, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake62
Well, against most everything I've ever done, I did purchase Audi Care Select, which the dealer furnished at the same price as Audi Care. So this is "not" an extended warranty that I think are a waste of money. This is maintenance we all have to do, although if you do it yourself or find an independent dealer you probably will get a better price. However, for the next six-years, all my maintenance is covered, for less than $150 each service. That's tough to beat even at Independent dealers, although you could certainly do it yourself. However, at this stage in life, I decided to pull the trigger and just let them do it. I've done enough oil changes in my life-time
Amen... I think that the Audicare is a good thing, we spent all this money on a nice car and with Auidcare you'll have a record of the maintenance done. Also every two years the break fluid is changed who want to do that by their self? FYI I'm 56 and getting older.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My Audicare Analysis

If you want to have the dealer do the maintenance while under warranty (so any defects can be handled in one place with no potential for finger pointing if something goes wrong), you will come out ahead about 30% with Audi Care based on what dealers typically charge.

If you wish to have your regular service done by an independent, you would save about 10-15% from the cost of Audi Care depending on what the indy charges. (My shop charges about 30-35% less than the dealer regularly charges for maintenance).

If you do it yourself, it's no contest but obviously, you have to factor in your time, experience and inconvenience if you run into any issues.

For those on the fence, you can wait to buy it until the 15K service although it may cost more. (The price tends to go up a bit each year). If you plan on keeping the car less than 45K miles (or 5 years whichever comes forst), Audi Care is obviously not going to pay although, a new owner in a private sale might consider the remaining value. No value from a Dealer with trade in though.

A note for those who receive a discount on AC or get it included "free" when purchasing a car: dealer cost is about 90% of the retail price for AC - there is little profit margin. Therefore, if one were to pass on it, theoretically they could negotiate the cost of AC from the purchase price of the car. There are no free rides.

Audi Care program details (U.S.)

• All scheduled maintenance must be completed by an authorized Audi Dealer.
• Audi Care is only valid in the country in which it is purchased.
• Audi Care may not be canceled and is non-refundable. No refunds will be given if your lease is terminated early, or if your lease term is less than the coverage period.
• Audi Care coverage may not be transferred to another new or pre-owned vehicle. Coverage stays with the vehicle for the life of the plan.
• If Audi Care is purchased with and included an AFS lease, it will increase the residual by 1%, lowering the lease payments which will offset a sizable portion of the cost.
• Audi Care can also be purchased at the full MSRP any time after the initial sale of the vehicle. A later purchase will not, however, allow you to roll the cost into your monthly payment. Service intervals that have already been performed will not be prorated. To receive the full cost-savings benefits of Audi Care, it is highly recommended that you buy the plan at the time you purchase your vehicle or before the 15K service interval.

(Note: this was written a few years ago so the mileage examples stated above may have changed).

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-17-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I am someone who has the dealer maintain my car. I have put almost a quarter of a million miles on Audi’s over the years. While I have never added up the savings, I believe that it has saved me at least a few bucks.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Whether or not someone gets Audi Care is an individual decision, but I've always had Audi dealers do the service work for two reasons: 1. Granted that changing oil is easy but it's messy work, and I have to travel 25 minutes to the nearest oil disposal facility. So that's 50 minutes of wasted travel time and of course the time it takes to do the work, whereas when the dealer does the service work I get a service loaner and the dealer is only 10 minutes from where I work. So it's only about 20 minutes of wasted travel time. 2. Although it's a semi-secret, Audi offers Goodwill which extends beyond the warranty. One of the headlights on my A5 went bad about two months after the warranty expired. Labor and parts for the fix were about $200, but I didn't pay a penny. Since I had all the work done at the dealership, they contacted Audi and were successful in having Audi pay for the fix. I sincerely doubt that the dealer would have done the same for someone they had no relationship with.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
Whether or not someone gets Audi Care is an individual decision, but I've always had Audi dealers do the service work for two reasons: 1. Granted that changing oil is easy but it's messy work, and I have to travel 25 minutes to the nearest oil disposal facility. So that's 50 minutes of wasted travel time and of course the time it takes to do the work, whereas when the dealer does the service work I get a service loaner and the dealer is only 10 minutes from where I work. So it's only about 20 minutes of wasted travel time. 2. Although it's a semi-secret, Audi offers Goodwill which extends beyond the warranty. One of the headlights on my A5 went bad about two months after the warranty expired. Labor and parts for the fix were about $200, but I didn't pay a penny. Since I had all the work done at the dealership, they contacted Audi and were successful in having Audi pay for the fix. I sincerely doubt that the dealer would have done the same for someone they had no relationship with.
i feel the same way. I also drop off donuts when I drop off the car. The dealer did $4,000 worth of work on my old 4.2 for free. The car had 140k miles on the odometer at the time. It pays to be loyal to the dealer and to treat the staff nicely.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

The good Audi dealer’s know how to build good will. I purchased AudiCare at full price. That afternoon, in the mail, was the $100 off AudiCare coupon. Went back to the dealer the next working day. They sent me a check for $100.
We recently purchased a new Q5 from them.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought it. It includes the 40000 mile clutch fluid change, thought it would be worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AudiCare worth it?