Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Connect "It is currently not possible to connect to the server"

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Connect "It is currently not possible to connect to the server"

Hello guys, 2018 SQ5 in Canada. I wanna share this in case someone else is getting the same message. Audi Connect is acting up, when the audi connect screen is opened in the MMI the error message "It is currently not possible to connect to the server. Please try again later." shows up.

It happens from time to time, and there are no issues in the functionality (I am still able to lock and unlock the car using the phone app, etc). I am thinking it is just a simple data network connection issue just like when your phone sometimes briefly loses connection with the cellular network for whatever reason. Anyways the dealership technicians seem to encounter this quite frequently and they have this procedure they always try, they took out the gateway module (the thing embedded with the SIM card) and removed the backup battery from it for 20 minutes or so. Then reinstalled battery and gateway, and that seemed to work for a bit, only for the message to come back later.

Anyone has any thoughts or previous experience with such a message?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my Q5 for a week and have seen this error as well. Crappy connection as you mentioned.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Are you solved this problem? I just pick up my S4, and it has the same problem.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had this problem too, but eventually I can connect without doing anything else other than trying later as it says. I notice that sometimes even when it is working, it can take up to 5 minutes to connect to the server and to select a destination I had downloaded with the app.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same exact issue on a 2018 A4 except mine seems to happen all the time.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Mine does that on occasion and the dealership said it's a cellular strength issue. I think it's more of it being data throttled since we don't really get "Audi connect" in Canada. Wouldn't surprise me that whichever of the crooked-3 telco's that supply Audi with service do data throttling when the car uses to much.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I went ahead an extended my AudiConnect via AT&T add-on to my cell account for $10/mo. I knew I'd miss the Google Map overlay and if I change my mind I can always cancel.

The initial Audi plan cancellation actually occurred while my TTS was just at the dealership for a couple days but I remembered to re-up online in time that I never saw a difference.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
I went ahead an extended my AudiConnect via AT&T add-on to my cell account for $10/mo. I knew I'd miss the Google Map overlay and if I change my mind I can always cancel.

The initial Audi plan cancellation actually occurred while my TTS was just at the dealership for a couple days but I remembered to re-up online in time that I never saw a difference.
You don't need the AT&T add on to get the google maps and the other features. But you do need to renew the Audi Connect. I believe the $10/mo via AT&T adds the hotspot capability, which most likely your current phone already provides. I only renewed my Audi Connect for 18 months. Please note that after 2020, you wont get Google Maps anyways.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I get this message all the time. It sucks when you want to jump in your car and google your destination and your not connected. I find the built in map data base lacking.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have had this problem a few times on my 2017 A5 cab, and the Google map overlay does not work. Today I found a way to fix it, on the navigation map screen go to the right menu and scroll down to "Online Traffic Data" and untick the box, wait a few seconds then re-tick the box. Ensure google maps overlay is selected and it should now work. Well it works for me, lets hope it does for you to.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect "It is currently not possible to connect to the server"