Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Connect - I think I might be done with Audis

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by bailyc
Off topic, and I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but how are you able to send trips without Audi Connect? I assume you mean the feature where you use your phone to search for an address, and then forward it to the car. I keep trying but my car tells me it needs an Audi Connect subscription to access My Audi Contacts or whatever it's called, which I think is where those addresses from Google Maps were sent to.
I was referring to the BMW.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main beef that I have is the value proposition. Maps and basically all connected features can be had for free with Google etc. If <car brand>connect would offer a true value (other than marginally “better” integration), I would be ok with it. But a grand for maps I can get for free on Waze??? I don’t think so.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfjo
So all in for a 3 year lease we are looking at an extra $1K just for traffic updates. I don't know how anyone else finds this acceptable.
I didn't find it acceptable. I told them to Eff Off. I only wanted the the Google Maps so my solution is that I have a cable for my phone laying there. I plug it in and use the Android Auto to get the Google Maps. Works great. Also nice to have Waze up on the big screen when I drive longer trips. Works great and costs me nothing. Screw Audi and their greed.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I was referring to the BMW.
Oh, well that explains it
Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

MB pays for 5 years of Traffic and satellite Nav.

I would not renew the paid connect services. If enough people don't they will include them. Enough is enough Audi.

Originally Posted by wolfjo
We have a Q5 3.0T (2017) and an A5 SB (2018). My live traffic updates stopped working yesterday, so I called Audi about it. Their ridiculous plan involves either $200 for 6 months or $500 for 18 months (no other steps in between, no way to break out traffic.)

So all in for a 3 year lease we are looking at an extra $1K just for traffic updates. I don't know how anyone else finds this acceptable.

My wife's lease on the Q5 is up in a few months, have been cross shopping the X3 M40i and the SQ5 - the M40i drives with a little more engagement, has wireless CarPlay like the A6/Q8, and gives you traffic for years.

Am I missing something here, or am I going to have to switch two leases to BMW just to get live traffic on the car without paying a grand for each car after the fact?

How can any company think people are OK with this situation? Are you guys just living without traffic updates or using your phones? This seems like a dealbreaker to me in a $60K car.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
MB pays for 5 years of Traffic and satellite Nav.
Only on 2018 and older models. It's now 3 years. The whole online platform got upgraded and changed for MY2019. There's a new phone app, too. Traffic used to be through SiriusXM like older Audis, but now MB uses traffic data from TomTom and like with current Audis, it's supplied over the data connection, so no traffic w/o active data connection. In the past, traffic was a separate SiriusXM subscription, which is what I still have on my '13 RS, so one could cancel Audi Connect and just keep paying $3.99/month to SiriusXM for traffic or go for their annual package, which is slightly cheaper. It's a two edged sword I guess. Many were not happy with the accuracy of the traffic data from SiriusXM, so Audi switched to INRIX using the car's data connection. Now looks like both Audi and MB are actually switching to live traffic data from HERE, which they both co-own together with BMW. They bought HERE from Nokia a few years ago.

https://www.traffictechnologytoday.c...edes-benz.html
Old 04-20-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

As long as Waze works well using Apple car play I won’t be lining Audi’s pockets with my subscription fees. This new idea of “keep milking “ your customers and make them feel cheap if they balk at the money grab rubs me the wrong way.

I can afford the fees but choose not to spend my money on these services as I can replicate them for free. An they are a bad value for the money (imho). It’s a money grab. No thanks.

I choose to to pay for Apple Music because the family plan makes it a good value proposition. We use and enjoy it and it’s well done.

Audi wake up and focus on the user experience to talk. So much about but don’t deliver on effectively. Yes I think my 85k dollar flagship luxury SUV should have connected services included for years not months if not forever.

If enough people don’t pay for services Audi will change their thought process. Were paying the bill on the diesel gate fines !

MB is focused on you enjoying your experience so much in the car, in the dealer, on the phone and at scheduled service so much that you come back again and again every tine you need a vehicle. I had gotten a survey and I wrote that the cup holder was too small to hold my shaker bottle I take to tbe gym. They should consider enlarging it next time. Listed my cell if they wanted pics. They sent me a stainless steel cup that fit the existing cup holder. Not quite a shaker bottle but there was a hand written note on the box. We hear you and appreciate that you took the time to help us improve our product for our valued customers. Btw- The new cup holders feature a users enlargeable flap. Maybe I did that ? It’s on the new GLE

Audi wake UP. .

Last edited by Jsf721; 04-20-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As long as Waze works well using Apple car play I won’t be lining Audi’s pockets with my subscription fees. This new keep milking your customers and make them feel cheap if they balk at the money grab rubs me the wrong way.

I can afford the fees but choose not to spend my money on these services as I can replicate them for free. An they are a bad value for the money (imho). It’s a money grab. No thanks.

I choose to to pay for Apple Music because the family plan makes it a good value proposition. We use and enjoy it and it’s well done.

Audi wake up and focus on the user experience to talk. So much about but don’t deliver on effectively. Yes I think my 85k dollar flagship luxury SUV should have connected services included for years not months if not forever.

If enough people don’t pay Audi will change their thought process.

MB is focused on you enjoying your experience so much in the car, in the dealer, on the phone and at scheduled service so much that you come back again and again every tine you need a vehicle. I had gotten a survey and I wrote that the cup holder was too small to hold my shaker bottle I take to tbe gym. They should consider enlarging it next time. Listed my cell if they wanted pics. They sent me a stainless steel cup that fit the existing cup holder. Not quite a shaker bottle but there was a hand written note on the box. We hear you and appreciate that you took the time to help us improve our product for our valued customers. Btw- The new cup holders feature a users enlargeable flap. Maybe I did that ? It’s on the new GLE

Audi wake UP. .
Unfortunately, that's a trend that will continue. The current Auto industry is facing declining sales in many markets. Entire generations such as the Millennials are no longer interested as much in owing a car. They look at transportation as a service, to a large degree because they can't afford big purchases anymore. Auto makers need billions to develop new products that comply with ever more stringent regulations. Their current growth is largely coming from China now, and that's starting to look rocky as well. So, they have to transform their business. They are all looking at subscription models now and have active trials going on. Instead of buying a car you pay a monthly subscription fee to use a car, and you can change it if you like something else. Want navigation while you are using your car that will be an extra x dollars per month. Want matrix lights for a long road trip on rural roads, you can subscribe for it and then cancel when you no longer need it, etc. This is coming no doubt. The closer we get to fully autonomous cars, this model will prevail. I'm not sure who will be interested in owning an autonomous car. There will be companies like future Uber through which you request a ride and an autonomous vehicle will pull up in front of your house and take you where you need to go.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

You may be correct but I’m not going easily. I order my cars because I’m specific and particular on what I want. I own 2 cars and lease the rest. This way when my lease is up I’m not pressured to make a decision. That’s power in negotiating believe it or not. I have used zip car in nyc when I need it , we have a corporate account. But I would not want that for my daily driver.

I hate recurring monthly bills and my 2 boys 21 and 22 both live on their own. Neither has cable TV just a free Roku streaming service ( and my net flix family) This tells me that’s it is about value for the service and Audi’s services are a BAD value. They offer too little for too much $. Their competitors are giving 3-5 years of Serices with purchase not 6 months. And after 3-5 years those company’s are 15 bucks a month for everything. Not 499 for connect for 18 months and 29 a month for hot spot. The free market will see what works. I for one am not renewing any paid Audi subscriptions. I hope other follow and Audi wakes up. If not Waze is fine, my Apple Music. Is fine and my cell phone offers free hot spot on unlimited data. So when I need my laptop to fire up I’m covered.its about value to me and anyway I look at Audi connected services is a bad value. I will miss the auto start on my current car that I use in the winter. Audi does not even offer that for any sum.

Originally Posted by superswiss
Unfortunately, that's a trend that will continue. The current Auto industry is facing declining sales in many markets. Entire generations such as the Millennials are no longer interested as much in owing a car. They look at transportation as a service, to a large degree because they can't afford big purchases anymore. Auto makers need billions to develop new products that comply with ever more stringent regulations. Their current growth is largely coming from China now, and that's starting to look rocky as well. So, they have to transform their business. They are all looking at subscription models now and have active trials going on. Instead of buying a car you pay a monthly subscription fee to use a car, and you can change it if you like something else. Want navigation while you are using your car that will be an extra x dollars per month. Want matrix lights for a long road trip on rural roads, you can subscribe for it and then cancel when you no longer need it, etc. This is coming no doubt. The closer we get to fully autonomous cars, this model will prevail. I'm not sure who will be interested in owning an autonomous car. There will be companies like future Uber through which you request a ride and an autonomous vehicle will pull up in front of your house and take you where you need to go.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You may be correct but I’m not going easily. I order my cars because I’m specific and particular on what I want. I own 2 cars and lease the rest. This way when my lease is up I’m not pressured to make a decision. That’s power in negotiating believe it or not. I have used zip car in nyc when I need it , we have a corporate account. But I would not want that for my daily driver.

I hate recurring monthly bills and my 2 boys 21 and 22 both live on their own. Neither has cable TV just a free Roku streaming service ( and my net flix family) This tells me that’s it is about value for the service and Audi’s services are a BAD value. They offer too little for too much $. Their competitors are giving 3-5 years of Serices with purchase not 6 months. And after 3-5 years those company’s are 15 bucks a month for everything. Not 499 for connect for 18 months and 29 a month for hot spot. The free market will see what works. I for one am not renewing any paid Audi subscriptions. I hope other follow and Audi wakes up. If not Waze is fine, my Apple Music. Is fine and my cell phone offers free hot spot on unlimited data. So when I need my laptop to fire up I’m covered.its about value to me and anyway I look at Audi connected services is a bad value. I will miss the auto start on my current car that I use in the winter. Audi does not even offer that for any sum.
I'm with you pretty much. As long as there are interesting cars that I actually wanna own, I'll probably own one. There are fewer and fewer cars, though, that I really wanna own as more and more get neutered by emissions regulations. I don't have a car, because I need one. I don't commute and between Uber/Lyft, bicycle, public transportation etc. and occasionally renting a car I could pretty much cover my transportation needs. I own a car because it's convenient and I want and can, but this requires cars that appeal to my emotions and are actually fun to drive. I have no interest in owning an appliance. Audi no longer offers something that fits my bill, hence my move to the C63S. The only Audi I would still like to own is the R8, but it's not a car for a single car garage.

As for the subscriptions, I totally agree. I currently pay $10/month for my 2013 RS5. It's from the time before Audi jacked up their pricing and cracked down on the use of third-party SIM cards. I've added my car as just another device to my AT&T Shared Data Plan. I could also go with a prepaid SIM, which would actually be cheaper as I don't really use the services at a level that makes even $10/month a good value. I've mostly kept it to be able to send navigation destinations to the car. I think Audi is listening to some extend. They just recently moved several of the paid features under the complementary part of Audi Connect. I believe things like remote vehicle status, lock/unlocking, geo fencing and I think some other features no longer require a subscription now.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect - I think I might be done with Audis