Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi q5 phone box wireless charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi q5 phone box wireless charging

Has anyone seen the phone box in the q5?

https://www.google.com/search?q=audi...TbrI_InQHRFRM:

I would like to add one to 2018 Q5 that will be built in March 2018 or if I could install one after.

Video of one in the q5
https://youtu.be/ud-WNxSB-ho?t=2m46s
Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump....interested in this as well.

-tgt
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Wireless Charing pad in my SQ5. It is one of the few disappointments I have with the vehicle.

It often does not charge the phone (Samsung S8), but causes the phone to heat up badly (despite not charging.) The phone has to be positioned exactly in the middle of the cradle for it to charge and obviously it shifts around as one drive. Usually, when the phone shifts, the charging error message appears on the MMI screen. The error has to be cancelled by pressing on the MMI ****, otherwise, it stays on the screen. Very annoying. I have spoken to my dealer about these issues and according to them, Audi is aware of the issue and working on a fix. (We all know what that means....)
I often get an error message on the MMI that the phone can't be charged, because there is another object in the cradle (which is not the case.)
It is awkwardly positioned and difficult to reach your phone when the armrest is down. Most of the time I have to lift the armrest to take out the phone. (I'm not using a cover on my phone and the fact that the S8 is such a thin phone is making it even more difficult to get the phone out of the cradle without first lifting the armrest.)
The bottom line is that the wireless charging cradle does not work and is a waste of money. It feels like a feature that should not have passed beta development.
I attach a picture to show what the cradle looks like in the Q5. It takes the place of the tray which shifts over the cup holders.
Attached Thumbnails Audi q5 phone box  wireless charging-2017-08-11-16.20.10-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BFN949
I have the Wireless Charing pad in my SQ5. It is one of the few disappointments I have with the vehicle.

It often does not charge the phone (Samsung S8), but causes the phone to heat up badly (despite not charging.) The phone has to be positioned exactly in the middle of the cradle for it to charge and obviously it shifts around as one drive. Usually, when the phone shifts, the charging error message appears on the MMI screen. The error has to be cancelled by pressing on the MMI ****, otherwise, it stays on the screen. Very annoying. I have spoken to my dealer about these issues and according to them, Audi is aware of the issue and working on a fix. (We all know what that means....)
I often get an error message on the MMI that the phone can't be charged, because there is another object in the cradle (which is not the case.)
It is awkwardly positioned and difficult to reach your phone when the armrest is down. Most of the time I have to lift the armrest to take out the phone. (I'm not using a cover on my phone and the fact that the S8 is such a thin phone is making it even more difficult to get the phone out of the cradle without first lifting the armrest.)
The bottom line is that the wireless charging cradle does not work and is a waste of money. It feels like a feature that should not have passed beta development.
I attach a picture to show what the cradle looks like in the Q5. It takes the place of the tray which shifts over the cup holders.
I'll concur with just about everything above. It is possible to retrofit, as I did on my B9 allroad, and plan to do on my SQ5. Not only do you need the pieces for the center console, but additional modules are required in addition to a new aerial. sharkfin. The design and location of the cradle are terrible. Plus, wireless charging is seemingly a gimmick. I use it when I know my phone is steady and stable, not shifting around while driving.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is this an option or standard equipment? I don't have it on my 2018 Q5. Does anyone have the part number?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JiminCA
Is this an option or standard equipment? I don't have it on my 2018 Q5. Does anyone have the part number?
It is an option in certain markets. It’s not a single part number, more like 20.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BFN949

Was the charging pad an option or standard?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JiminCA
Was the charging pad an option or standard?
It is optional in certain markets. It is not available AT ALL in the USA.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Since I couldn't get on in the US I made one.

Easy to make and works great and won't slide off the wireless charger. Made with things I had so zero cost.
Sad how we are limited on what options we can get in the US.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, sort of figured that. Actually my plastic tray comes out quite easily. Think I will build my own wireless charger.

Quick Reply: Audi q5 phone box wireless charging