Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Service Experience

Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Audi Service Experience

It seems there is a huge difference in Audi owner's experience when going in for service to take care of software bugs, hardware issues, and shakes, rattles and rolls. I'm having a difficult time trying to put my first experience (at 13k) into perspective. Since I live 3 1/2 hours away from the dealer and change my own oil, the only things I will ever take my car into the dealer for are MMI software update, recalls, and warranty work. I made my appointment back in January and laid out all of the issues I wanted taken care of:

1) Window Regulators replaced (going down on an up push),
2) MMI update (Top View Camera and Presets),
3) Liftgate software update,
4) free 10k oil change,
5) a loaner car

But this trip was only about the first two things. Without both these getting fixed, the trip wouldn't be worth it. I checked in a week before the appointment to make sure all of this was good to go and received a yes. When I arrived, what I received from the Service Manager was that since he was new back in January, he wasn't familiar with the various issues. So after my call a week ago he did some research and found out that the Window Regulator swap could not be done because my VIN didn't show it listed. He would only do a "re-learn" procedure. He says he called a few days ago and left me a message to that effect - I never got the phone message. I argued the case that of course they would not be able to reproduce the problem and what if after I leave the problem persists (living 3 1/2 hours away I can't just pop back in). He said he can't deal in "what ifs" and that often dirt is the culprit with the mechanisms and they may need to be regularly re-programmed. Audi wouldn't let them replace hardware if the VIN isn't flagged. It was difficult to control my feelings but realized I wasn't going to get satisfaction and need their good will, so had to let it go.

So in the end, The paperwork they gave me today states:

Cust states that both front windows will roll back down after rolling all the way up.
Possible soft stop memory loss
Unable to verify customers concern. Did not find information for concern in ELSA, performed front window soft stop
Relearn (manual). Condition not present at this time. Ok at this time
They did update the MMI and Liftgate software
They did change the oil (the paperwork doesn't specify which - but he texted me a pic of the Castrol Edge 0W20 Long Life IV (508.00 / 509.00)
They did give me a loaner knowing I was going to drive it 500 miles.

So, my experience is mixed. I had a lot of expectations going in and tried to dot every "I" with communication. I made a 3 1/2 hour trip to get the regulators replaced and the MMI updated and ended up without the regulators.

It sounds like the Sales Manager tried to do the "right" things by the book and was generous with the loaner. But his inexperience (and a phone message I never got) didn't allow me the time to make different choices. I wouldn't have made the trip just for the MMI.

Is leaving a phone message (which I never got) 3 days before my appointment notifying me about the regulators (after 6 months of preparation for it) good or reasonable customer service?

And probably more importantly, presuming the windows are not fixed, how would you go about getting it resolved?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say they might be bound by AUDI's litigation. They should have e-mailed you in addition to text message at least. Not super bad but not great for a luxury brand. Take it back if the windows start acting up. Is this an intermittent issue?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

If the windows are not fixed then bring it back. I know it sucks as they are so far away but that was your choice. They are obligated to fix any issue you have. Continuously "re-programming" them is not an option. You may be the first person experiencing this issue in a new batch that has not been addressed specifically by VIN on a TSB yet. Being that far away I probably would have sat in the parking lot for an hour rolling the windows up and down until the issue re-occurred.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your windows are rolling all the way up and then back down, it sounds like the window pinch protection needed to be reset which is what the dealer did. Now, if it continues to fault despite the reprogramming, then there is obviously a problem with the regulators or the control module.

I forget offhand what the pinch protection reset procedure is, but I believe it's usually something like holding the switch in the up position for 30 seconds after the window closes. Someone please correct me since my memory is bad.

If the fault isn't always present and repeatable, try to get a video of the problem, because as we all know, it never happens when the car is actually in the shop.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

In other brands that's how it's reset. All the way up for 30 seconds, then repeat all the way down.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same window issue addressed with tsb #A641855 2050362. It is a software update for a door module from what I understand.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As a first time Audi owner, I am just not too pleased with the service. I feel like I had gotten better service with Toyota service department.

Service rep promised to give a call today to give me an update on my car in for creaking/rattle/loud binding noise when rolling down window. They had my car since last Thursday.

No phone calls or email replies today...

Last time I called, I was told service department is too busy with other cars/priorities.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by txl146
As a first time Audi owner, I am just not too pleased with the service. I feel like I had gotten better service with Toyota service department.

Service rep promised to give a call today to give me an update on my car in for creaking/rattle/loud binding noise when rolling down window. They had my car since last Thursday.

Last time I called, I was told service department is too busy with other cars/priorities.
Sounds like my dealer once they got my money. I remember when I was going to purchase a Hyundai, I sat at the sales desk and called the service department to see how long it would take to get an appointment with a non existent car I had. They said bring it right in and that is what I was looking for so I bought the car.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by nikv
Is this an intermittent issue?
Yes - guaranteed to never happen when at the dealer.

Originally Posted by gk1
If the windows are not fixed then bring it back. I know it sucks as they are so far away but that was your choice. They are obligated to fix any issue you have. Continuously "re-programming" them is not an option. You may be the first person experiencing this issue in a new batch that has not been addressed specifically by VIN on a TSB yet. Being that far away I probably would have sat in the parking lot for an hour rolling the windows up and down until the issue re-occurred.
Yeah, I knew going in that visits to the dealer would be a trek. This is a relatively minor issue so no major complaint. I do wonder how many like me reporting this issue helps turn it into a TSB.

LOL - Great image of sitting in the parking lot rolling the windows up and down. Unfortunately, I made this trip due to business and had no extra time to spend at the dealer.

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
If your windows are rolling all the way up and then back down, it sounds like the window pinch protection needed to be reset which is what the dealer did. Now, if it continues to fault despite the reprogramming, then there is obviously a problem with the regulators or the control module.

I forget offhand what the pinch protection reset procedure is, but I believe it's usually something like holding the switch in the up position for 30 seconds after the window closes. Someone please correct me since my memory is bad.

If the fault isn't always present and repeatable, try to get a video of the problem, because as we all know, it never happens when the car is actually in the shop.
It happens when the window is cracked open a bit and then press to close. Instead it opens all the way. If it happens again, I will take a video as I try to re-create.

Originally Posted by jkaram
I had same window issue addressed with tsb #A641855 2050362. It is a software update for a door module from what I understand.
Why don't the service departments have this info at their fingertips?

Originally Posted by txl146

I loved the service my Toyota shop gave. First rate. Aside from the inexperience and the missed phone message, this service manager really did his best to please. I'm just frustrated with the result.

Originally Posted by ribeye
Sounds like my dealer once they got my money. I remember when I was going to purchase a Hyundai, I sat at the sales desk and called the service department to see how long it would take to get an appointment with a non existent car I had. They said bring it right in and that is what I was looking for so I bought the car.
I chose to negotiate with this dealer (3 1/2 hours away) over the "local" one (2 hours away) because of the reviews on Yelp and Google. Stories of GMs repeatedly not returning calls are a sign that a dealership doesn't care. When I do get the time, I plan on sending a thank you note, even though the experience could have been better. I believe developing good will with the service dept is money in the bank, so to speak.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Problem is all dealerships are run separately. Just because it's "Audi" doesn't mean they even carry the same values. We have two BMW dealerships in my city. The one closest to my house is brutal. The one on the other side of the city is nothing shy of amazing, and both are owned from the same parent company (Dilwari Automotive Group) which has tons of other brands under them.

It does suck though. One spends a lot on a car nowadays, and should be treated accordingly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Service Experience