Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Auto Stop/Start Modulation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
I don't drink sbux coffee.
The question is, does the A.S.S. engage at your local coffee establishment. Then we really be able to get some answers.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

If you are moving the steering A.S.S. gets disabled. When it's engaged at a light and you turn the wheels, the car starts again. My guess is for situations like left/right turns at a light, if the wheels are turned it won't engage since it may post a safety issue if you need to get through the intersection quick. Super simple to test....

I'm going to guess that your battery only gets ~4 years life vs ~8 years you can get out of a non A.S.S. vehicle due to the extra charge/discharge cycles. No scientific proof though. Battery capacity really cannot increase as you can only get so many Amp-Hrs from a lead acid unit. The biggest cost is the computer adjusts charge current over the life of the battery. When you swap in a new battery, you need to get the computer "registered" (aka reset) so that the charge curves are changed. Failure to do that and you start burning through new batteries.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Arguably, a modest 4% fuel savings would, in states with high fuel costs, come close to offsetting a battery replacement on a 4 vs 8 year cost comparison basis. Here, in the Peoples Republic of California, gas is reaching all time highs - 2nd highest in the nation (tho I fully expect our legislature to not want to lag behind any state when it comes to taxes). My A.S.S. fuel math: $2,880 annually x 4% fuel savings = $115 annnual "savings" x 4 years = $460. Ostensibly, the 4 year fuel savings offsets a battery replacement at that interval.

But as earlier posted, there are so many variables involved to make a convincing case either way. And as earlier noted, the impact A.S.S. has on the vehicles components is all over the map per articles written by the "pro's" and "experts" weighing in on the subject.

There is also something to be said about how well one's A.S.S. works. So far, mine is rather a seamless transition from on to off to on; but some ppl have considerable "engine shutter" for lack of a better term when it starts up. I imagine some are turned off by the A.S.S. perhaps because of this rough re-start. I noticed considerable differences in loaners with A.S.S. , some performing quite poorly in terms of the on/off transition. If and when mine should ever get to that poor level of performance, I will be disengaging it.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
Arguably, a modest 4% fuel savings would, in states with high fuel costs, come close to offsetting a battery replacement on a 4 vs 8 year cost comparison basis. Here, in the Peoples Republic of California, gas is reaching all time highs - 2nd highest in the nation (tho I fully expect our legislature to not want to lag behind any state when it comes to taxes). My A.S.S. fuel math: $2,880 annually x 4% fuel savings = $115 annnual "savings" x 4 years = $460. Ostensibly, the 4 year fuel savings offsets a battery replacement at that interval.

But as earlier posted, there are so many variables involved to make a convincing case either way. And as earlier noted, the impact A.S.S. has on the vehicles components is all over the map per articles written by the "pro's" and "experts" weighing in on the subject.

There is also something to be said about how well one's A.S.S. works. So far, mine is rather a seamless transition from on to off to on; but some ppl have considerable "engine shutter" for lack of a better term when it starts up. I imagine some are turned off by the A.S.S. perhaps because of this rough re-start. I noticed considerable differences in loaners with A.S.S. , some performing quite poorly in terms of the on/off transition. If and when mine should ever get to that poor level of performance, I will be disengaging it.

Here's the best way to keep YOUR OWN $$$ no matter what .........................

Move

out

of

communist

California!

Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

The problem with the stop start mode set to default on is that it should be MY decision which mode I want to be default.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
The problem with the stop start mode set to default on is that it should be MY decision which mode I want to be default.
Agreed. When the current generation of BMW was released, it worked the same. After a lot of complaining my the MY refresh they switched it to "remember last setting". So if you want it, you can have it. If you don't, then it's off. BMW's implementation is a lot more harsh than Audi though.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just disabled it with my older VCDS cable and it works!

Air Conditioning/Module 08 > Adaptation > A/C comfort param for start/stop function Old value: 5, New value: 0