AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/)
-   -   B&O stereo vs stock, worth it?? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/b-o-stereo-vs-stock-worth-2975615/)

Sforfun 07-10-2019 07:16 AM

B&O stereo vs stock, worth it??

I’ve been driving a 2019 Q5 for a few days while my S4 is in the shop for “SOS malfunction”. My car has the B&O and the loaner Q5 is stock stereo... the stock stereo is not bad IMO. Is the B&O actually worth the $950. I’m starting to think it might not be. What’s your opinions?

Omeletpants 07-10-2019 08:38 AM

The B&O is the best car stereo I have ever had in the 25 cars I have owned

spindlewood 07-10-2019 08:53 AM

Not positive what the stock system sounds like, but if it's anything like my wife's Subaru, she says pay the money :) It all depends on how much you value decent sound. There are lots of discussions / debates on how good it is or isn't, but worth it is a different question. Go to the dealer with a USB full of your own music and test drive models both with and without and make the evaluation objectively for yourself if you have doubts. I have no regrets having bought it.

rhe 07-10-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by spindlewood (Post 25340787)
Not positive what the stock system sounds like, but if it's anything like my wife's Subaru, she says pay the money :) It all depends on how much you value decent sound. There are lots of discussions / debates on how good it is or isn't, but worth it is a different question. Go to the dealer with a USB full of your own music and test drive models both with and without and make the evaluation objectively for yourself if you have doubts. I have no regrets having bought it.

Plus One of this.

I had the stock system in my Q5 and it was okay. I have the B and O in my SQ5 and it was money well spent!

SYMAWD 07-10-2019 09:35 AM

Worth every penny.

Winter Cabriolet 07-10-2019 10:38 AM

I have B&O in mine. It's worth it

-hef- 07-10-2019 10:54 AM

The B&O is the best OEM car stereo I have ever had in the 18 cars I have owned

ronsal 07-10-2019 11:27 AM

I had a Subaru with a decent system. Traded it in on '18 Q5 with the standard system. Thought the Audi system was way better, and very satisfied. Then traded the Q on an SQ with B & O....... Much better.
And for whatever it's worth I have hearing aids. Your hearing is probably way better, so you would hear even more difference.
I find that one of the things that makes both Audi systems better than others, is that the Audi is a very quiet car with the windows rolled up. That alone will make a system decent.
And on another note (pun intended), I notice that the Audi is one of the loudest cars (wind noise) that I have ever driven with the windows down. (Last statement might be a thread hijack, so just ignore.)
But as had been mentioned, try to drive the cars back to back to see.

Zeus69 07-10-2019 11:54 AM

The B&O is a very nice system. I compared before purchasing and preferred it over stock.
But I find it slightly lacking in low end bass (and yes, I know how to adjust the settings; and no, I'm not a basshead).
The music source obviously makes a difference (Sirius XM sounds like garbage on any system).
I feel that my Mark Levinson system (Lexus) was just a bit better sounding.
I definitely consider the Bowers&Wilkins system in my friend's Volvo XC90 to be nicer than the B&O in my car.

My comments are specific to the SQ5. I've read that the Q7 B&O (23 speaker/1920 watt with motorized tweeters) is a beast.

audijk 07-10-2019 01:48 PM

Love the B&O system. If you’re happy with the base system, save the money. If you compare them and like the B&O, you’ll likely regret not getting it.

i just recently started playing with the surround and 3D settings in my wife’s Q5 on a long drive. I’m usually not a fan of processed sound like that but it did have its place with some music.

would like to have a midrange adjustment or equalizer to tailor the sound a bit more but it’s a great system!