Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Backup camera issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Backup camera issue

Hi folks.

Had my 2018 SQ5 Prestige for about a week now, and I've noticed that on a couple of occasions, after driving the car, and then parking, turning off the engine and sitting in the car for a few minutes, when I restart the car to drive again, I shift into reverse, and the MMI turns on the backup/top view parking camera screen, but the image is black, other than the top view graphic of the car. The parking sensors all work like normal, but it's like the cameras aren't turning on at all. So even when I try to swap the camera view in the MMI by selecting one of the other cameras (Front wide/front/top/rear/rear wide) I get nothing but a black image. I even tried cycling the ignition, but I get nothing. Eventually, when the car does a complete power off after parking for a while, everything works like normal and all the cameras are showing again. I can't replicate the problem consistently, so I'm not sure if it's a fluke, but I've seen it a couple times now.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with their parking/backup cameras?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Hi folks.

Had my 2018 SQ5 Prestige for about a week now, and I've noticed that on a couple of occasions, after driving the car, and then parking, turning off the engine and sitting in the car for a few minutes, when I restart the car to drive again, I shift into reverse, and the MMI turns on the backup/top view parking camera screen, but the image is black, other than the top view graphic of the car. The parking sensors all work like normal, but it's like the cameras aren't turning on at all. So even when I try to swap the camera view in the MMI by selecting one of the other cameras (Front wide/front/top/rear/rear wide) I get nothing but a black image. I even tried cycling the ignition, but I get nothing. Eventually, when the car does a complete power off after parking for a while, everything works like normal and all the cameras are showing again. I can't replicate the problem consistently, so I'm not sure if it's a fluke, but I've seen it a couple times now.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with their parking/backup cameras?

Thanks!

You're not alone, I've experienced this same issue. This happened to me twice in one day. I too tried many things to get the black screen to go away, and all efforts yielded the same results. Since that day, it's been working as expected...

Last edited by MDIZL; 07-25-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: corrected wording
Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen. Also had the camera not shut off one morning, as it's supposed to after 6mph. Was kind of cool cause I got on the highway going 75 and neat to see top view and front cam going that speed after about 3 minutes the whole system seemed to go black and reset.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, I've had the issue happen again and decided to get the matter looked at. As it turns out, Audi released a service bulletin to it's service departments to address this matter. The fix for this matter is a software update to the vehicle to correct the intermittent issue.

Hope this info helps...
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera

hi, I have a new SQ5 and it's 3 weeks old.
today I'm on a trip and suddently all the camera are black. I tried restarting my car and nothing's happen.
any idea or I will have to go to the dealer?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cyberhero
hi, I have a new SQ5 and it's 3 weeks old.
today I'm on a trip and suddently all the camera are black. I tried restarting my car and nothing's happen.
any idea or I will have to go to the dealer?
Take your vehicle to the dealership to have the software update applied.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like there's a TSB regarding this issue.

90 Top view camera image: only park aid lines displayed (2048517/1)
Model(s) Year Vehicle Specific Equipment
Q5 2018 With front and rear view camera system and two side cameras
A4, A5, and Q7 2017–2018 With front and rear view camera system and two side cameras
Condition: The video feed from the exterior of the vehicle is not shown. Only the static outlines of the park aid are displayed.
Revision: Initial publication.
Production Solution: New software in the overhead view camera module, J928 (address word 006C).

I haven't had the issue reoccur since, but I'll have the software updated when I bring it in for it's first service.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had this issue occur today. Im going to take my car into the dealer soon and have that TSB updated applied. Here's a picture of the black screen the OP mentioned.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I just had this issue occur today. Im going to take my car into the dealer soon and have that TSB updated applied. Here's a picture of the black screen the OP mentioned.
Let us know how you make out. Mine's been in twice & still isn't working correctly
Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Let us know how you make out. Mine's been in twice & still isn't working correctly
I will let you know. I contacted the dealer to see if this TSB can be done remotely.

Quick Reply: Backup camera issue