Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Beep On Locking

Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It should alway chirp on locking but not until all doors are closed.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cornelt
I went outside and checked by locking the doors by touching the recessed part of the driver's door handle. The doors locked and the lights flashed, but no beep. I then placed the key about 20 feet away and attempted to open the doors. They were all locked. Now if I lock the doors by pressing the remote, the car beeps every time.
I have the exact same issue. It’s totally random. Door locks every time, but the chirp only happens 10-20 percent of the time. Doesn’t matter whether I used the FOB or press the indent on the door handle. Makes no sense at all. I haven’t taken it in to the dealer yet. Kinda waiting to see if anything else is an issue, and also trying to determine if it’s my “technique” or something else.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lock via pressing the button on the door handle 90-95% of the time. The rate of the chirp when doing this is about 90% of the time.

I have no idea why sometimes it rarely does not chirp.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Same here. The first time I lock the car, having the mirrors fold in is the confirmation that it is locked for me. If the mirrors are already folded from a previous lock, I have to listen to the locks to make sure if it doesn't beep.

Hope they fix this. With my previous dumb cars, I could check if it was locked by pulling on the handle. But of course that opens the Audi.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine chirps 100% of the time when it locks. Actually double chirps since I changed it from a single chirp. But if a door isn’t completely closed it doesn’t lock so no chirps.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
I lock via pressing the button on the door handle 90-95% of the time. The rate of the chirp when doing this is about 90% of the time.

I have no idea why sometimes it rarely does not chirp.
I would say I have a similar success rate on the locking, but probably a little higher success rate when locking with the key fob, compared to using the door handle. But the door handle is still pretty reliable. This is coded for double beep and double flash. Now, the single beep on unlocking that I coded is much less reliable. I’d say that is about 20-30% reliable. It’s so strange, but I can’t figure out a rhyme or reason. Practically speaking though, the beep on locking is more important to me than the unlocking, so I’m happy that the beep on locking is pretty consistent.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same issue here. It chirps whenever it feels like it. I also have an issue where the door won’t open on occasion, and I need to unlock it w key fob. ��
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Mine chirps 100% of the time when it locks. Actually double chirps since I changed it from a single chirp. But if a door isn’t completely closed it doesn’t lock so no chirps.

Nice... do you have the long coding (I have a ross-tech and use vcds) for the double chirp??
Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
The first time I lock the car, having the mirrors fold in is the confirmation that it is locked for me. .
+1 on the above--that way you know it's locked just by looking at it and don't have to rely on the beep. FWIW the only time mine doesn't beep is if a door is ajar.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My SQ5 is less than a month old. I dropped it off yesterday to the dealer for the sunroof clicking noise and intermittent beeping sound when locking the doors.

Just got a call from them saying the no beeping concern is normal and it happens to many others too. I don't think it's acceptable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beep On Locking