Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi cargo mats vs Weathertechs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi cargo mats vs Weathertechs

Weathertech doesn't make a cargo mat yet for the 2018 Q5. How does the Audi cargo mat compare to Weathertechs cargo mats of the past few years?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeKal
Weathertech doesn't make a cargo mat yet for the 2018 Q5. How does the Audi cargo mat compare to Weathertechs cargo mats of the past few years?
Hi MikeKal. The all-weather mats included with my SQ5 are excellent...by far the best "included" extra mats I've had, including my previous 2015 SQ5. Having said that, I've always preferred the WeatherTec ones as the are designed to cover up the sides of the floor compartment that the Audi ones (i.e. the Audi ones are flat...they do not go up the side to the door sill, etc.). I tried the WeatherTec ones from my old SQ5 in my new 2018 model & the actually fit almost perfectly...the fit is fine, but the little snap-posts on the floor that snap into the floor mat are in a slightly different location in the 2018 model than in the previous model. The mats still fit fine, but I will be buying 2018 ones from WeatherTec when they become available. Hope this helps!

P.S. - if you don't care the the mats cover the sides of the floor compartment, then the Audi ones are excellent. Here in Canada the roads are always slushy & covered in salt in winter, so I definitely like the WeatherTec's extra protection for the floor carpeting.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like the Audi mats at all. I kept the trunk liner since Weathertech doesn't make one for our car yet. I have WT floor liners for the front and back seats and they're excellent as always. Buy the WT, you won't regret it. I've owned them for every car and never had an issue.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One last thing Zolo. I would definitely get the WeatherTec mats over the Audi ones if I had to choose...their protection is simply better. Having said that...don't the Audi ones come included with the vehicle? Mine came with my SQ5 at no charge...is that not the case with the Q5? If they do, simply wait to check out the Audi ones & buy the WeatherTec if you don't like them. But, if you have to choose between the two, then I agree with AndroidRobot...definitely get the WeatherTec.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not a fan of the Audi ones. Had them for my allroad and found they left black marks on shoes with white rubber soles/trim.

Weathertech ones seem to do a much better job and are more of a hard plastic rather than black rubber.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like WT products, but really dislike the hard plastic they use on their mats. It feels cheap to me and for that price, it shouldn't feel cheap.

Love the matte rubber mats that Porsche uses in their vehicles and wish that Audi would source from the same place.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not impressed with the OE Audi trunk cargo mat. I am referring to the plastic rubberized pan. Thought is felt cheap and thin. I was hoping have a thick full rubber mat like the OE SQ5 rubber all weather mats. Those are a nice thick ribbed rubber product. That actually look pretty decent.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustydog
I am not impressed with the OE Audi trunk cargo mat. I am referring to the plastic rubberized pan. Thought is felt cheap and thin. I was hoping have a thick full rubber mat like the OE SQ5 rubber all weather mats. Those are a nice thick ribbed rubber product. That actually look pretty decent.
Hopefully Weathertech will make one because their stuff is generally much better.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just one man's observation on the cargo liners...

My wife has a WT in her Lexus SUV. I have the Audi version in my Q5.

While the WT seems more "substantial" materially speaking, the Audi version seems to have a much tighter (better) fit.

Last edited by frogs9497; 09-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@ frogs9497

Is that the plastic tub with the Q5 logo on it? Plastic tub with a slight rubberized coating. I am just wondering if there are more than one option.

Tx

Quick Reply: Audi cargo mats vs Weathertechs