Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Blacked Out SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blacked Out SQ5

Hi everyone, new to Audi and decided to go with the SQ5. I wasn't a huge fan of all the brushed aluminum and since the black optics package isn't an option yet I had it all blacked out a few weeks after purchasing. I regret not getting the sports package but I'll take care of the wheels and suspension in the spring. Has anyone added spacers using the factory wheels? I'm interested in knowing what size spacers you used

I know these aren't the greatest pictures, I'll be sure to add some better ones once I've added the spacers.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked Out SQ5-thumbnail_20170923_171236.jpg   Blacked Out SQ5-thumbnail_20170923_171249.jpg   Blacked Out SQ5-thumbnail_20170923_171307.jpg   Blacked Out SQ5-thumbnail_20170923_171315.jpg   Blacked Out SQ5-thumbnail_20170923_190209.jpg  

Old 09-24-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have those parts painted? Audi does make all of the necessary black optics components for the '18 SQ5, but they need to be ordered from a dealer. I asked about factory installs, it wasn't an option. Out of curiosity why didn't you have the mirrors blacked out too?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Did you have those parts painted? Audi does make all of the necessary black optics components for the '18 SQ5, but they need to be ordered from a dealer. I asked about factory installs, it wasn't an option. Out of curiosity why didn't you have the mirrors blacked out too?
When I bought the vehicle in early July I was told only some parts were available in black. What i paid to have this done was also a lot less than what it would cost to buy all the parts from Audi.

I went back and forth on the mirrors for a while and just looking around online I kind of liked the brushed aluminum look better than completely blacked out. Same with the badges.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabz
When I bought the vehicle in early July I was told only some parts were available in black. What i paid to have this done was also a lot less than what it would cost to buy all the parts from Audi.

I went back and forth on the mirrors for a while and just looking around online I kind of liked the brushed aluminum look better than completely blacked out. Same with the badges.
So we're thinking parts painted or wrapped? I agree, the black optic OEM parts aren't cheap. All of the parts combined are $2-3k from what I recall. I had my V6T badge removed because my car has an XPEL clear wrap on the entire front. I'm probably going to remind the Q5 badge and keep the S out of preference.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! It hides the fake exhaust trim well and cleans up the front/rear. I'm waiting until the BO package is available to order.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:11 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What method was used - paint, wrap, or dip and how much did it cost?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by f10
What method was used - paint, wrap, or dip and how much did it cost?
It was dipped, got it all done for $800.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
So we're thinking parts painted or wrapped? I agree, the black optic OEM parts aren't cheap. All of the parts combined are $2-3k from what I recall. I had my V6T badge removed because my car has an XPEL clear wrap on the entire front. I'm probably going to remind the Q5 badge and keep the S out of preference.
Dipped, had a ceramic pro coat added as well. Considered removing the Q5 badge and leaving the S, might still do it. I saw someone else on the forum who did it and it looked pretty good.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabz
Dipped, had a ceramic pro coat added as well. Considered removing the Q5 badge and leaving the S, might still do it. I saw someone else on the forum who did it and it looked pretty good.
Looks great! I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing as well. Agree with your decision on rings and mirrors.

Was it plastidipped or something like Halo EFX?

Would love to see some more close ups of the grill!
Old 09-24-2017, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed this looks great! Would love to see more pictures (a bit better quality too). Also additional details on where you had it done.

Quick Reply: Blacked Out SQ5