Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s

My Dealer had my new Q5 Prestige that was a dealer swap delivered today. In the course of doing the pre-sale inspection, service department ran VIN through recall search site (either for Audi and or NHTSA).

Today a recall was issued and is holding up the sale. Here is the recall info:

Year: 2018 Make: AUDI Model: Q5 2.0T
SUMMARY: Gas bubbles may form in the brake system due to insufficient chrome coating of the brake caliper pistons. Braking performance may be reduced which can increase the risk of a crash.
SAFETY RISK: Braking performance may be reduced which can increase the risk of a crash. REMEDY: To be determined.

My car was an April 2018 build so not sure what range of vehicles this recall will effect. I have read earlier posts about orders being held at ports due to some braking issue - not sure if this is related to those holds or whether this June 19th Recall is reaching back or forward in production dates of the Q5s.

For those of you who not familiar with brake calipers, the brake caliper is the housing that sits on the brake pads/disc and, via a piston operated assembly, applies pressure to to the pad/disc when the brake pedal is pushed. Inside that caliper housing is the piston that is the subject of the recall. Without adequate chrome sufficiently coating the interior of that piston, gas/fluid will escape when the piston is activated (brake pedal pushed) forming gas bubbles that enter the brake hydrolic lines and reduce braking performance.

The first remedy in an earlier June 1st recall was to just bleed the brakes. Evidently, either Audi or the NHTSA found this to be a temporary or ineffective cure of the problem.

The remedy and fix could delay things a few days to a few weeks or maybe more. This is so new, that Audi has not had time to formulate the fix and communicate it to dealers in a TSB or similar.

The dealer let me talk to the service manager, which was cool as some GMs prefer to avoid that interaction. Anyways, he said that he's seen more disconcerting recalls and fixes. I found it interesting that some recalls that involve software fixes can take the longest, given the sophistication of the Audis on board computers. Because so many systems interact with one another in the software, a proposed software fix has to go through several weeks or more just to do beta testing of the software fix. I understand this was (or is) an issue with delays off some on order SQ5s and Q5s that are held up at ports.

Just a heads up to those who already took delivery of a Q5 (the only model that appears to be affected as you may be receiving a recall notice from your dealer and/or Audi about this recall. I even read something on the NHTSA that you are entitled to a free CARFAX from the dealer to ensure that your delivery is not affected by this recall (tho not positive about that)

I'm not going to open a vein over this delay. Dealer said he will cast a wider net for me to see if he can find a car with my specs. But then, those may turn our to be VIN # recalled cars as well so I will cool my heels for now. Prefer not to wait 4 months or more to take possession of a factory ordered 2019. (I don't think the 2019 order guide comes out for another month or more)

Last edited by jaims; 06-19-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling/syntax
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah - my car has been sitting at the dealer for two weeks awaiting a fix for this recall... I reached out to get an update yesterday - which has not been forthcoming yet.

Mine was a April build prestige as well.

Originally Posted by jaims
My Dealer had my new Q5 Prestige that was a dealer swap delivered today. In the course of doing the pre-sale inspection, service department ran VIN through recall search site (either for Audi and or NHTSA).

Today a recall was issued and is holding up the sale. Here is the recall info:

Year: 2018 Make: AUDI Model: Q5 2.0T
SUMMARY: Gas bubbles may form in the brake system due to insufficient chrome coating of the brake caliper pistons. Braking performance may be reduced which can increase the risk of a crash.
SAFETY RISK: Braking performance may be reduced which can increase the risk of a crash. REMEDY: To be determined.

My car was an April 2018 build so not sure what range of vehicles this recall will effect. I have read earlier posts about orders being held at ports due to some braking issue - not sure if this is related to those holds or whether this June 19th Recall is reaching back or forward in production dates of the Q5s.

For those of you who not familiar with brake calipers, the brake caliper is the housing that sits on the brake pads/disc and, via a piston operated assembly, applies pressure to to the pad/disc when the brake pedal is pushed. Inside that caliper housing is the piston that is the subject of the recall. Without adequate chrome sufficiently coating the interior of that piston, gas/fluid will escape when the piston is activated (brake pedal pushed) forming gas bubbles that enter the brake hydrolic lines and reduce braking performance.

The first remedy in an earlier June 1st recall was to just bleed the brakes. Evidently, either Audi or the NHTSA found this to be a temporary or ineffective cure of the problem.

The remedy and fix could delay things a few days to a few weeks or maybe more. This is so new, that Audi has not had time to formulate the fix and communicate it to dealers in a TSB or similar.

The dealer let me talk to the service manager, which was cool as some GMs prefer to avoid that interaction. Anyways, he said that he's seen more disconcerting recalls and fixes. I found it interesting that some recalls that involve software fixes can take the longest, given the sophistication of the Audis on board computers. Because so many systems interact with one another in the software, a proposed software fix has to go through several weeks or more just to do beta testing of the software fix. I understand this was (or is) an issue with delays off some on order SQ5s and Q5s that are held up at ports.

Just a heads up to those who already took delivery of a Q5 (the only model that appears to be affected as you may be receiving a recall notice from your dealer and/or Audi about this recall. I even read something on the NHTSA that you are entitled to a free CARFAX from the dealer to ensure that your delivery is not affected by this recall (tho not positive about that)

I'm not going to open a vein over this delay. Dealer said he will cast a wider net for me to see if he can find a car with my specs. But then, those may turn our to be VIN # recalled cars as well so I will cool my heels for now. Prefer not to wait 4 months or more to take possession of a factory ordered 2019. (I don't think the 2019 order guide comes out for another month or more)
Old 06-19-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4w

Yeah - my car has been sitting at the dealer for two weeks awaiting a fix for this recall... I reached out to get an update yesterday - which has not been forthcoming yet.

Isn't the SQ5 a 3.0T '6' ? The above recall posted is for the Q5 2.0T, unless the SQ5 is also subject to the recall?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Put my VIN into the NHTSA and turns out the 2018 SQ5s are affected as well.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:51 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2018 SQ5 returns no recall when entered.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:03 PM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

Update I just got from Audi:-

We will be performing the update/repair this week and it is a quick job, I am waiting to get an ETA from Service Manager. I will email you right away when I have it and arrange pick up. Thank you.

Originally Posted by A4w

Old 06-19-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

This recall is probably narrowed to those Audi builds that included the improperly/inadequately chrome plated piston in the brake caliper housing assembly. Its reasonable to assume this could include SQ5s as well as Q5s that got that batch of pistons during the build process. And its possible this is a recall that is a work in progress, meaning that perhaps the cause of the gas bubbles is not definitively nailed down. Moreover, it may be that there will be a delay caused by testing the newly installed pistons in the brake caliper assembly to ensure this resolves the gas bubble brake issue.

Last edited by jaims; 06-19-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: syntax correction
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4w
Update I just got from Audi:-

We will be performing the update/repair this week and it is a quick job, I am waiting to get an ETA from Service Manager. I will email you right away when I have it and arrange pick up. Thank you.

If true, which I do not have any reason to doubt, that is good to hear. Did you determine that your fix for the recall is related to the June 19th recall notice - or to the June 1 recall notice (the latter was just a brake bleeding procedure, which was elevated June 19th to a higher level fix - ie replace those inadequately coated caliper pistons).

Keep us posted if you can.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM
A4w
Audiworld Junior Member

In in my case it was the June 19 recall - replace the pistons.. my dealership has been waiting on the parts for serval weeks now.

Originally Posted by jaims
If true, which I do not have any reason to doubt, that is good to hear. Did you determine that your fix for the recall is related to the June 19th recall notice - or to the June 1 recall notice (the latter was just a brake bleeding procedure, which was elevated June 19th to a higher level fix - ie replace those inadequately coated caliper pistons).

Keep us posted if you can.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Red sport calipers vs standard make a difference?

Quick Reply: Brake Recall Out Today on Some 2018 Q5s